• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Brutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
This game is important for the Brutes but even more for the Brumbies. If they lose this one they'r gone and the Brutes will be in a perfect postition to nail a home semi. The Brutes going home after this one and usually not best at the last one but surely they will start smelling biltong now.

Brute Team
Vodacom Bulls: Zane Kirchner; Akona Ndungane, JP Nel, Wynand Olivier, Bryan Habana; Morn? Steyn, Fourie du Preez (kaptein); Pierre Spies, Pedrie Wannenburg, Dewald Potgieter, Wilhelm Steenkamp, Danie Rossouw, Werner Kruger, Derick Ku?n, Gurthr? Steenkamp. Plaasvervangers: Jaco Engels, Rayno Gerber, Deon Stegmann, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Heini Adams, Burton Francis, Jaco Pretorius.

Quite surprise to see Wanneberg starting and not Stegman. Breakdowns will be vital against Smith.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Rossouw ran the lineout well when Vic was injured so no worries there.

Tough one on Steenkamp - he's had no game time.

Expect they will bring Stegman on early in the second half and move Wannenburg to the second row.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
ooh, I don't like the sound of this. Don't think I can pick the ponies now.

Wallabies captain Stirling Mortlock has been shunted to the wing for the Brumbies' Super 14 clash with the Bulls at Canberra Stadium on Friday night.

Injuries have forced Brumbies coach Andy Friend to reshuffle his backline on Thursday, leaving Mortlock to hand over his outside centre position to Tyrone Smith.

Smith also moves out one to accommodate Gene Fairbanks at inside centre.

In-form fullback Mark Gerrard, who played a key role in getting the Brumbies over the line against the Stormers last week, pulled up lame after training on Tuesday, while winger Alfi Mafi is also out with a groin injury.

Gerrard's hamstring injury has forced Adam Ashley-Cooper from wing to fullback.

what money on Gezza's hammy playing up?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I really can't fathom this.

Are Rathbone, Fainifio (whatever), Rathbone, Betham, Zipa all injured?

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
At S14 level AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is still a pretty decent fullback. He'll get more space to choose a hole to get through (or palm through) and could do really well. I got bored last night and youtubed the first 08 Bled and he made some fantastic runs from the back.

It could of course, given his moderate form, totally backfire and yes, we can label Friend a fool.

Oh and Mortlock shouldn't be on the wing.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
yeah I don't get how TSmith isn't on the wing if anyone is going to be.... he's shown a quick step this season and has to be faster than Morty who I think should always be in the 13. he didn't look so great as a 12 so how is 14 going to go off well?? not seeing it....

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
OK enough pussy footing and hooh hah about elbows, baby's, and dare I say, Karma.

This is a huge match for my beloved Bully Boys. Pull this off and they are in very good shape for a semi and with a bit of luck, a home semi.

If we look at the two games they have won on tour so far, it has been largely because they have reverted to the age old tight game plan (very well I might add), backed by pretty good kicking (well better than the opposition at least).

With Big Vic and Bakkies out of the picture, the Bulls cannot play quite this game plan. Expect them to still contest the breakdown like lunatics, but they won't easily dominate it by brute force without the right personnel and up against G Smith and co it won't be easy. (Actually, Kimlin's work in this area against the Stormers impressed me. )

Replacement lock Steenkamp is a more mobile player, with Rossouw able to more play a more tight game, although it's not his forte. Steenkamp actually doesn't offer a whole lot except very good lineout work (he is 2m tall and ran the Bulls lineout well last year - unfortunately I never saw him do much else.).

I expect the Bulls to move it a bit more as they did with good success early on in the season. They will target the 10/12 channel all night with their big runners and this is where they have an opportunity as both Spies and Olivier (bulls 12) have a good offload. Olivier has suddenly developed a great long pass to both sides, opening opportunities the Bulls haven't had for a few years (Hougaard never had a good long pass, especially to his left, and Steyn actually does). I've always liked Fairbanks, but we'll see how he holds up with Spies, Olivier and Rossouw running at his inside channel all night.

Scrums and lineouts I think will be more or less even.

For the Brumbies they key is going to be the midfield defense. If they can absorb early pressure in this area things will get a lot easier as the game goes on.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) doesn't have much of a kicking game in my opinion. His kicking and especially his high kick and chase wasn't far short of comical last year when he played 15 for the Wallabies. Where I do think there is great opportunity is for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to run it back into a wide channel, forcing JP Nel into one of his obligatory defensive lapses per game that inevitably leads to a try. If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) elects to kick it back and does so as poorly as the Tahs did, Steyn and Kirchner should punish the Brumbies.

This is actually quite an intriguing game and I have mulled over it for days but canlt decide a winner. Until I saw Gerard was injured that is.

So with that said I think the Bulls will scrape home. I have to believe. It is just so.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Blue said:
OK enough pussy footing and hooh hah about elbows, baby's, and dare I say, Karma.

This is a huge match for my beloved Bully Boys. Pull this off and they are in very good shape for a semi and with a bit of luck, a home semi.

If we look at the two games they have won on tour so far, it has been largely because they have reverted to the age old tight game plan (very well I might add), backed by pretty good kicking (well better than the opposition at least).

With Big Vic and Bakkies out of the picture, the Bulls cannot play quite this game plan. Expect them to still contest the breakdown like lunatics, but they won't easily dominate it by brute force without the right personnel and up against G Smith and co it won't be easy. (Actually, Kimlin's work in this area against the Stormers impressed me. I like this guy and think he has huge potential - but as a 6. He has red hair like me which makes him an Uebermensch in any case O0 )

Replacement lock Steenkamp is a more mobile player, with Rossouw able to more play a more tight game, although it's not his forte. Steenkamp actually doesn't offer a whole lot except very good lineout work (he is 2m tall and ran the Bulls lineout well last year - unfortunately I never saw him do much else.).

I expect the Bulls to move it a bit more as they did with good success early on in the season. They will target the 10/12 channel all night with their big runners and this is where they have an opportunity as both Spies and Olivier (bulls 12) have a good offload. Olivier has suddenly developed a great long pass to both sides, opening opportunities the Bulls haven't had for a few years (Hougaard never had a good long pass, especially to his left, and Steyn actually does). I've always liked Fairbanks, but we'll see how he holds up with Spies, Olivier and Rossouw running at his inside channel all night.

Scrums and lineouts I think will be more or less even.

For the Brumbies they key is going to be the midfield defense. If they can absorb early pressure in this area things will get a lot easier as the game goes on.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) doesn't have much of a kicking game in my opinion. His kicking and especially his high kick and chase wasn't far short of comical last year when he played 15 for the Wallabies. Where I do think there is great opportunity is for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to run it back into a wide channel, forcing JP Nel into one of his obligatory defensive lapses per game that inevitably leads to a try. If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) elects to kick it back and does so as poorly as the Tahs did, Steyn and Kirchner should punish the Brumbies.

This is actually quite an intriguing game and I have mulled over it for days but canlt decide a winner. Until I saw Gerard was injured that is.

So with that said I think the Bulls will scrape home. I have to believe. It is just so.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thanks Blue nice report and good to see you so positive , holding tumbs with you Boet! Brutes by 8.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The Brute Vodacup Team to play the Pumas on saturday.

Tiger Mangweni; John Mametsa, Marius Delport, Wayne Julies, Rocco Jansen, Francois Brummer, JP Joubert; Gerrit-Jan van Velze (capt.), Okkie Kruger, Vincent Gwavu, Willem Serfontein, Dries van Schalkwyk, Ruan Vermeulen, Bandise Maku, Dean Greyling. Substitutes: Henri Bantjes, Frik Kirsten, Bosman Grobler, Jacques Burger, Francois Hougaard, Ruan Boshoff, Stephan Dippenaar.

Blue what do think about the backup?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Carn the Brumbies. Happy to forgo the tipping points for a dynamite Aussie win. Want to see a dominant forward performance!

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Hoping to set up a live report on the front page, but am 'Daddy Day Care' today. Anyone able to help out by throwing in some commentary? It's easy as.

PM me if you can help

Gaggs

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Shepherdson you fucking dipshit. Sly knee to the head of a Bulls player on the ground. Yellow carded.

Brumbies up 22-17 at half time.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Brumbies up by a point, 32 - 31 with 3 to go. Bulls can rightfully feel robbed with two of the Brumbies' first half tries definitely not tries - Hoiles blatant knock on, and Kimlin dropped it over the line. Brumbies can feel blessed with that late try, but they look good from here.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Game over, Brumbies bloody lucky, Bulls robbed really. But the Bulls should've won it from their position, they really blew it. Thought the ref got the last free kick wrong after he ruled the ball was out to rub salt into the Bulls' wounds. Brumbies were soundly beaten in the set peices and kicking, and had completely the wrong game plan. I am still struggling to work out how they won.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Hard luck for the Brutes but still picking 2 points from this game. This will help their course no ends and a week feeding of biltong and they'll be a difficult animal in the Ring.

Thought Spies had a belter and vrekken JP Nel you dip stick!

Status
Not open for further replies.