• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Stormers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Stormers team for the Brumbies clash.
1 JD Moller
2 Schalk Brits
3 Brian Mujati
4 Adriaan Fondse
5 AJ Venter
6 Schalk Burger
7 Duane Vermeulen
8 Luke Watson
9 Ricky Januarie
10 Peter Grant
11 Sireli Naqelevuki
12 Jean de Villiers
13 Gcobani Bobo
14 Wylie Human
15 Conrad Jantjes
16 Tiaan Liebenberg
17 Wicus Blaauw
18 Hilton Lobberts
19 Francois Louw
20 Dewaldt Duvenhage
21 Willem de Waal
22 Dylan Des Fountain

The same old same for Rassie and sure the last roll of the dice for my team. Myself share the Brumbies pain at the moment , also with Chisholm out and all the tragedies they have to set aside this week. Maybe the Stormers can give them a week off and just give them the 5 points.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It wouldn't be rugby if the Brumbies didn't go out there and give the Stormers a hard contest in memory of their mate. All of Australian rugby should be wearing black armbands this weekend.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sure our lot will do the same and a minute silence before all our matches on saturday, from schoolboy to S14 teams.

C

chriscullen

Ive been tipping the stormers all year long and being let down. On paper they always seem strong. on the paddock weak.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
At least they havent lost with plenty, always within a bonus point. Think they hit form at a wrong time against the Lions and then that bye. The Stormers need to play when they are on form. There are a lot of Springbok players in that side but really only two great ones. The others well, how shall I state it? If you look at the Sharks and Brutes, they sure have some big big Bokke.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well that's a good move - a minute's applause sounds like the perfect way to celebrate someone who sounds like he was a top-notch bloke.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/news/brumbies-ready-to-honour-mackay/2009/04/08/1238870024564.html said:
Brumbies ready to honour Mackay

April 8, 2009 - 4:16PM

Win, lose or draw, Brumbies captain Stephen Hoiles says Saturday's Super 14 clash with the Stormers in Canberra will be about celebrating the life of Shawn Mackay.

The Brumbies trained for the first time on Wednesday since learning of Mackay's death on Monday.

As a tribute to Mackay, the players will wear black arm bands for the rest of the season, while there will also be a minute's applause at this Saturday's match.

Mackay, 26, died in a Durban hospital as a result of complications stemming from injuries he sustained when he was hit by a car following the Brumbies' loss to the Sharks in South Africa almost two weeks ago.

Hoiles, who knew Mackay since their primary school days in Sydney's eastern suburbs, said the squad was still reeling from the shock of losing a mate.

"Everyone's doing it pretty tough, which is understandable," he said.

"I've been thinking about it a fair bit, they're the tough times ... and that will continue for a long, long time."

Hoiles and Mackay played for the first XV at Sydney's Waverley College and Hoiles was Mackay's at Randwick club as well as at the Brumbies.

Brumbies coach Andy Friend said earlier in the week that it would be understandable if some of the players did not feel up to playing against the Stormers.

But Hoiles said the players would want to play the Canberra Stadium match.

"This group's got an enormous amount of character, and my gut feeling is that after speaking to a few guys, that everyone really wants to play."

"That's what we do, we play football."

"And I think just the fact that it's something to focus on ... and to put in a good performance for the whole community that's been affected from this I think will be a pretty special thing.

"Win, lose or draw, I think they're going to do everyone really proud this weekend."

Hoiles was back in Canberra with a number of other injured members of the squad when Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan told him of Mackay's death on Monday.

"I got told it was pretty critical, and then about an hour later that it was getting very serious.

"And then he just called me into his office and he didn't have to say anything. As soon as he called me in I knew just by looking at his face that something serious had happened."

Hoiles said he felt for the members of the squad who were in South Africa when Mackay was hit by a car in the early hours of the morning, as he and other players were returning to the team hotel after a night out.

"From a selfish point of view, I'm quite glad I wasn't there to see what happened and see how it happened.

"We've all lost the same mate and we're all going to be hurting as much, but I really feel for the guys that were there and had to go through it."

The team came together on Thursday for a weights session and training run, and to go through some footage of the Stormers, but their minds are unlikely to stray too far from thoughts of their mate whose life was cut short.

"He was quite a recognisable bloke, a big tall fella with his big smile and his blond hair standing out in the pub."

"He could have been in Japan or Italy on a six figure salary, but he chose to come to Canberra to start a new life and find an extended family, and that one decision sums him up."

AAP

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
To be honest I wont mind if the Brumbies take this one. They will be highly motivated for this one. But you never know with the Stormers.

S

Spook

This is the first season I really just don't care. Poor bastards.

R

Red Beard

Im really interested in the outcome of this non Kiwi affair. The Brumbies and Stormers are yet to play the Chiefs and both have the firepower and smarts to knock us over and can derail and semi final ambitions we may have.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
a minute's applause hey? Can't see it really being that impactful. I assume the players will do it to? That'll just look odd.

Oh well, its the thought that counts.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Red Beard said:
Im really interested in the outcome of this non Kiwi affair. The Brumbies and Stormers are yet to play the Chiefs and both have the firepower and smarts to knock us over and can derail and semi final ambitions we may have.
Cant wait for the Chiefs one on Newlands. It will all depend if the Stormers or Chiefs still will have a semi sniff.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Noddy said:
a minute's applause hey? Can't see it really being that impactful. I assume the players will do it to? That'll just look odd.

Oh well, its the thought that counts.

I wondered about that as well. They will probably show some footage of him. I'm still stunned by the tragedy of it to be honest.

P

PhucNgo

Red Beard said:

Don't the Chiefs normally take care of that themselves? :fishing

P

PhucNgo

This is going to be a tough one for the Brumbies, and not just for the obvious reasons. I doubt whether they've hit the ground running at training this week.

The Cheetah's forwards took it up to them last week and I expect that the Stormers will do likewise. Which is where I think the game will be won. The B's attack hasn't exactly set the world on fire this year (and neither has the Stormers), so it'll be a battle of who can hang on to the ball the longest and hope for a lucky break.

R

Red Beard

PhucNgo said:
Red Beard said:

Mate us Chiefs fans are used to snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. The self destruct button is never far away by this stage of the season!

P

PhucNgo

Red Beard said:
PhucNgo said:
Red Beard said:

Mate us Chiefs fans are used to snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. The self destruct button is never far away by this stage of the season!

A time honoured tradition!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Another close loss for the Stormers but trust me I felt for the Brumby whistle when that end whistle went. They did it for their boy and I really enjoy that minute of celebration for the kid. That was thinking out of the box. Thought Jean had a nice break and try but not good enough from the Stormers, why in this world they went for a penalty with two minute on the clock really summed up their season. They still have a important role to play towards the end of season to help out the Brutes & Sharks getting that semi spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.