• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Burgess may be on the move to Oz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I still hold that his chances at 9 are equal to that of Nic White, if he came back. From the occasional game I see on Foxtel he is still playing well.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There are many Gaggerlanders who will maintain that we needed him on EOYT last year with the Wobs.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
A fantastic player, with an occasionally erratic pass. The problem was that when it went off, it went off badly. Still the #2 Oz halfback.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
I've seen quite a lot of him with Toulouse. Passing as erratic as ever, running the strength of his game. Spent a lot of time on the bench.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If we properly go on incumbents, Phipps is first, Sheehan is second, Genia is third, White is kind of fourth although he never made it onto the field and thus remains uncapped. Burgess would be fifth.

The reality is the pecking order is very different.

Having Burgess back in the country will be great to put pressure on the other halfbacks and hopefully push all the contenders to close the gap on Genia.

If Burgess is back in Australia in 2014, I'd be surprised if he doesn't get at least another Wallaby cap.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That criteria would make Giteau the best Australian centre by a long shot.

I think Gagger's point was more that Nic White is hardly locked in as the heir apparent to Genia as he hasn't played a test yet, and has only had one full season of Super Rugby as the first choice Brumbies halfback. It had nothing to do with judging everyone based solely on the number of tests they'd played.

Everyone thinks Nic White is an excellent player but he needs to back it up in his second full season as the Brumbies first choice half (one which many players go back a bit in as other teams start to study them more and work out ways to shut them down).

I think the main point is that we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Go back and watch replay of World Cup when he replaced Genia...outstanding. He is stand out number 2 ,will push Genia and is a massive plus in defence especially around scrum base. Cmon Tahs don't let him slip past.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Bemused about the talk that the Tahs are keen on Phipps in 2014. Hopefully, with the return of Burgo, that the Tahs re-assess and make a bid for him to return to the Tahs.

The article in the SMH needs a bit of editing. The word "understood" used six times.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Whilst Phipps is a Wallaby option there will always be a place for Burgess in Aus rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.