• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Burgess's back up

Who will be the bench 9 for the Wallabies

• Lucas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sheehan

• Genia

• Holmes

• Phibbs

• Valentine

• Stannard

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
OK if we can assume that Burgess will carry on, who will be his back up?

Sheehan is the incumbent back up, but I think unless it is in 3 inches of mud and raining hard, we must have better options.

Lucas would be favourite as Holmes is a softc*ck, Phibbs is a less talented Sheehan clone.

The smokies may be Valentine as I expect him to start most games and he has an excellent kick and pass, and Genia if he can get past Lucas and play some football.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
can I throw in a real smokey?

James Stannard.

He has it all against him, but I really liked the look of him last year. 9 at the Brumbies is far from settled, so he has a chance to snatch it, and from there, who knows?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Done, but Deans will have to go watch the runners play to see him run around methinks.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I voted Lucas anyway.

And how very NSW of you to assume Burgo continues to start! ;)

T

TOCC

yeah i reckon Burgess will have a real fight on his hand just to hold on to the number 9 jersey...

Thread title should probably be who do we think the starting 9 will be

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
TOCC said:
yeah i reckon Burgess will have a real fight on his hand just to hold on to the number 9 jersey...

Thread title should probably be who do we think the starting 9 will be

Dunno, Deans is going to want some experience at 9 in tests and the only two in the program are Sheehan and Burgess

If Burgess plays like he did this season he will be first choice (with all his errors, he is still a real game breaker). It will take Lucas doing some really special, game breaking stuff to get ahead of him, it would be great if he does.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Problem is that Burgess is both a game breaker and a fly half breaker (his own, not the opposition).

S

Spook

Oz seriously needs some of the other scrummies to step forward and either replace or backup Burgess. Sadly I've been watching the Guiness Premiership and nearly every scrum half is better than Burgess...doesn't say much for Aussie 9s.

T

TOCC

^^ well no i dont think thats the case, i think its a lack of experience in our scrum halves at the moment.

When you look at it, Cordingley, Whitaker and Gregan have all retired/gone OS in the past few year. It will take a while to find the experience to fill those gaps.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
But gee, I thought that awful Gregan fellow was holding us back by not retiring sooner ? :lmao: :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.