• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Can Cheika ball work for the Wallabies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Little, Grey, and Whittaker all started the match riding the pine. Cockbain went to Innisfail High and only took up rugby at the age of 16.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
As much as that sounds nice, it just isn't true. This year's Australian Schoolboys team that played NZ featured players from Hunter Sports High, Epping Boys High, Sarah Redfern High School, Canberra College, Oakhill College, St Kevins College and St Francis Xavier College.

All of those schools featured in the starting XV. I don't think the game is getting better at reaching out into high schools and non-traditional areas, but I do think people have rose-tinted specs as to how diverse it used to be. The big private schools have always dominated. I don't think that domination is any more pronounced now than it has been.

But now I'm way off topic.

I'm not talking about the size of the pool barb, its about the way they prepare players (or not) in such a small pool.

The fact that all those schools aren't in the same competition creates issues when it comes to depth of talent. Fact.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Haha I read an article earlier this year about Link and Cheika. when Link was coach and we just smashed the French.

It said Link was the pragmatic type of coach where Cheika was the optimistic (can't remember the exact words) but it rings true, Cheika will come up with a plan and put complete faith in it. We should try to as well.

What was his Tahs saying, we are going to play our way and if we are good enough we will win.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I posted this in the Tahs thread but I this quote about the Cheika philosophy

"But Cheika said to me; ‘We don’t want you to come and relax, we work hard at the Tahs’. He said he rates hard work over talent, and that really stuck with me."

I see some players not meeting his standards on workrate and a couple of workers being moved in their place to the consternation of many

If you look at the Tahs as a recent example there were a few "talented" fringe units that hardly got a look in all season, whereas other "unknowns" gained opportunities.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah but if Cheika values hard work over talent, how do we explain Benn Robinson?

he gets dropped and then he remembers to worry less about his head gear and more about being active (ie extract digit)

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I have, I don't want to see Jakeball, or the stuff Deans resorted to, as the way the Wallabies play.

I want to see us play with a positive attitude, move the ball and have a go.

We got to play the rugby we are comfortable with weather it be a RWC or not.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Larkham is confirmed as the attack coach.

Michael Cheika usually gets his man and Stephen Larkham is no exception, with the Test centurion and Brumbies coach about to add Wallabies attack coach to his resume.
Despite knocking back Cheika's offer to join him on the Wallabies spring tour at the end of last year, Cheika confirmed he had all but secured Larkham's services for the Test side's world cup campaign in an arrangement that will see him continue his role as head coach of the Brumbies.
"I don't think it's any secret that I've been speaking with Stephen Larkham and Nathan Grey, both of whom are involved with their Super Rugby teams," Cheika said.
"There's a good meeting of minds on that front, Stephen's very passionate about the Australian team, as is Nathan – they've both played in it for many years and want to see it do well."
Larkham will work under a similar arrangement to Nathan Grey, who joined Cheika's coaching team ahead of the spring tour and is now back with the Waratahs for the duration of the Super Rugby season.
Crucially, the Brumbies are on board with the plan after expressing early reservations about how their head coach would juggle two roles.
Larkham, who is contracted to the Brumbies until the end of the 2017 season, said he was delighted to be in a position to help steer the Wallabies through a challenging world cup preparation, but would keep the Brumbies at the top of his list of priorities.
"I'm passionate about rugby in general, I'm a proud Australian and I love the Wallabies," the 102-Test veteran said.
"I want to see them do well, I'd love to help out if they would like me. But at the same time I've got a massive responsibility and requirement to be here [at the Brumbies] and see it through. That's certainly my number one priority."
Cheika said he was no closer to finalising a forwards coach, a position he wants to keep full time.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...wallabies-coaching-staff-20150123-12wsy4.html

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The article is ambiguous regarding Larkham's arrangment: is Larkham retaining his head coaching role at the Brumbies (until 2017) while undertaking duties as Wallabies attack coach for the world cup and beyond? Or is he taking up the role full time with the Wallabies?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Larkham, who is contracted to the Brumbies until the end of the 2017 season, said he was delighted to be in a position to help steer the Wallabies through a challenging world cup preparation, but would keep the Brumbies at the top of his list of priorities.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
A great step in the only viable direction for Australian rugby, based on strength in unity.

I have always thought that our Soup franchises should actually cooperate with each other, and accept benign direction from the national coaching group.

We are just too small a rugby nation to split into different playing styles at the elite level. There should be a recognisable and well understood Australian way of coaching and playing at every level of the game. A player should be able to step up from under 20s to NRC to Soup to the National team and know exactly what the basics of his job are, and what will be expected of him.

Ditto for coaches.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Doesn't this mean the Brumbies will get an advantage at the selections? How can you be Wallabies attack coach and Brumbies coach at the same time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Doesn't this mean the Brumbies will get an advantage at the selections? How can you be Wallabies attack coach and Brumbies coach at the same time?

;) Not sure just how it will work out, but it's probably a step in the right direction to allay any fears of Tahs' bias in selections due to Cheika's connection there.

My main concern is that, as franchise coaches, they along with Grey won't have the opportunities to attend and analyse the players in other teams.

It could work, or it could all end in tears.

T

TOCC

My main concern is that, as franchise coaches, they along with Grey won't have the opportunities to attend and analyse the players in other teams.

It could work, or it could all end in tears.

This is a major concern...

Not only that, there is a very short turnaround between the end of the Super Rugby season and the Rugby Championship, for a coach who may potentially be focussing on the Super Rugby finals there won't be a lot of time to focus on preparation for the wallabies.

Status
Not open for further replies.