• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Can Cheika ball work for the Wallabies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Oh I think Grey's influence will be in there all right. It'll inject some real mongrel into the team, something we'll need if we're to even get out of our pool.

Hope you're right. I wasn't at all impressed with the defensive structures used in the EOYT tests but I don't know how much influence Grey had in that part of the game.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Defence is a hard thing to get right, especially if you're introducing a new system. It's bloody important in the World Cup though. No team has ever won it with a shoddy defence (or a poor set piece I might add).

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Restructuring the defence was always going to be an issue - but if you start with the base aggression you can work it into something beautifully violent.

Defence is a hard thing to get right, especially if you're introducing a new system. It's bloody important in the World Cup though. No team has ever won it with a shoddy defence (or a poor set piece I might add).

Yes, I readily accept that introducing a new defense system will take time to bed down, and I think that was very clear in the EOYT tests, but then it is hardly worthy of people to point the finger at, and criticise, individuals who are caught having to defend against multiple runners coming at them as happened on quite a few occasions to our wingers in those matches. Should have been the system or its implementation that was criticised, not the unfortunate wingers left short on the end of the line.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
He's been doing great work for a few years now, and it looks like the scrum has become a real weapon for the reds this year. It'd probably be easier to organize than Foley, though I think the ideal would still be to get someone in from outside the super setups, so at least one of the coaches can focus on the wallabies during the super season.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I've said it before and il say it again, if Cheika wants a set piece coach then he should look towards Nic Stiles..
Ideally we need someone outside Australian rugby who has international experience - from the NH. Someone like a Graham Rowntree, who thinks about scrums every waking moment, and then goes to bed and dreams about scrums.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
But can't understand why props have to carry the ball when the flyhalf should just be kicking the shit out of it.

T

TOCC

Perhaps, but I think if there is talent coming through the domestic system then it should be harnessed as well.... Stiles is developing a track record of coaching teams with solid set pieces, Force in 2013, Reds in 2014, Brisbane City in the NRC and then the Reds set piece form at the start of this season has looked solid without the Reds starting THP and Simmons.

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
Ideally we need someone outside Australian rugby who has international experience - from the NH. Someone like a Graham Rowntree, who thinks about scrums every waking moment, and then goes to bed and dreams about scrums.

Hands off thank you! Our pack is coming along nicely under Wig ;)

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
But can't understand why props have to carry the ball when the flyhalf should just be kicking the shit out of it.

...sorry what? Did I really see you say kicking? I was sure that I have read and been told by every member of the Cheikatah congregation that that the book of Cheika clearly says that thou shall not kick! Its even in the ARU player contracts where its says: should any player kick, you will warm the pine and then get a free pass to O/S. Its out and out blasphemy since we rid ourself of anything that may resemble Jakeball. Like kicking even works, look at the All Blacks and Boks; like how much success does it bring them?

Be cautious my wayward "Tah-ciple". Your free thinking liberal thoughts may have logic and merit, but its not the way we do things in this current cult[ure]!

Now back to the script - all the front rows fault, then the locks, then anyone else who is a forward, then non-Tahs. Oh, btw, we (Reds and Brumbies flocks) dealt with the flyhalf issue - and we do apologise its not immediate, sorry, best we could do considering we are sorta busy watching the French/English rugby.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Take the two comments in conjunction:

Someone like a Graham Rowntree, who thinks about scrums every waking moment, and then goes to bed and dreams about scrums.

My point being: Rowntree might be able to get the most out of his scrum - even when it comes to turning Marler into a cheat. But it changes the dynamic of the game Cheika is trying to play.

In addition, you have to account for the fact that Marler gets to cheat like a useless, mohawked fuckbeard because England. NONE of our props get any leeway with the referees because Wallabies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
We have to get over the conservative rugby wins world cup's torpor. We have to play the rugby we are most comfortable with first and formost. I just don't see us shoving other packs around the park but we need a solid scrum that can hold parity and give us a base to play to other strengths.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
If you look at our previous RWC winning sides, they had a pretty good balance of attacking threats and defensive starch and they definitely both had solid set pieces. We should certainly play our own style, because history has proven that when we get it right we win test matches. That all starts from the fundamentals though and we can't afford to be in a situation where we are covering for a significant weakness (like a poor scrum or lineout, for arguments sake) and hope that our strengths in other areas will see us through.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
i think one of the core problems last year was not so much the set piece per se, but a distinct lack of starch up front - which chieka ball demands.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I actually think Ewen had as on a path to be there at the end.. Chieka has a different plan not better or worse.

We need it to be bedded in, and bought into.. we get that.... we are in with a good fking shake.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
An article suggesting kick, bash and barge rugby is the way to go.

Strangely the Tahs winning formula of 2014 is not mentioned

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/feb/08/rugby-romantics-biff-boot

Well stats can tell any story you like. Anyhoo, I don't think the fundamentals of winning rugby have changed. The three P's (position, possession and points) still apply, as do the basics of a solid set piece, accurate ball retention and good defence. I don't think many people advocate mindlessly running the ball out of the 22 every time and frankly neither did Blanco. He actually had a very good boot and knew how and when to use it. It's just that he also decided that when he saw an opportunity to counter attack with ball in hand he did that too.

You're right about the Tahs. They ran the ball and scored heaps, but they also had a brick wall defensively. To be successful at the top level you can't totally sacrifice one to promote the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.