• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Can Cheika ball work for the Wallabies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Can anyone tell me more about Molihan? Sydney media seem to think it's a more significant signing that Cheika himself.

Is he this guy?
Veteran rugby league reporter Patrick Molihan has also joined the senior management team as Head of Communications and Media. Having covered seven Kangaroo Tours and 48 straight State of Origin matches, Molihan will ensure the VB Blues brand and code as a whole in New South Wales remains at the forefront in the minds of the sport loving public in this State.
http://www.3news.co.nz/sport/patric...kangaroos-anzac-test-2012041910#axzz3SuplTpET

T

TOCC

Well if there's one thing rugby union can take from rugby league and that's their ability to turn negative publicity into a positive for the code...

I think it's saying something that the new team manager is a spin doctor(former journo and communications manager).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I would hope that with the appointment of Larkham, Cheika-Ball is tweaked to also include a kicking game akin to what Larkham has established at the Brumbies

This is as imperative now as it's ever been as evidenced by the dominance of tactical kicking (by Ireland in particular) in the Six Nations.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I would hope that with the appointment of Larkham, Cheika-Ball is tweaked to also include a kicking game akin to what Larkham has established at the Brumbies

This is as imperative now as it's ever been as evidenced by the dominance of tactical kicking (by Ireland in particular) in the Six Nations.

I mostly agree, but would still like to see the Brumbies chance their hand at running a few more kicks back at the opposition. ATM I think they overdo the kick return especially given the quality of the backline at their disposal.

Reactions: gel

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I mostly agree, but would still like to see the Brumbies chance their hand at running a few more kicks back at the opposition. ATM I think they overdo the kick return especially given the quality of the backline at their disposal.

The Tahs did it pretty well against the Rebels a couple of weeks ago in terms of deciding which balls they needed to kick back and which they could run back safely and secure safe ruck ball between the 40m line and halfway.

It's all about calculating quickly whether you have enough space between you and the defence and the support is close enough to get back in time to make sure that you'll get relatively risk free ball at the breakdown.

Then you need to add to that the times where the opportunity is really on to counterattack with the players who are back there with you and look to isolate gaps in the defence. The Hurricanes did this very well against the Force, as did the Chiefs against the Crusaders. Beaudan Barrett is particularly good at identifying and exploiting these opportunities. It may help that often he is passing it to Julian Savea when he hits the line.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

God I hope not, not playing rugby in your own half bores me to tears

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The Tahs did it pretty well against the Rebels a couple of weeks ago in terms of deciding which balls they needed to kick back and which they could run back safely and secure safe ruck ball between the 40m line and halfway.

It's all about calculating quickly whether you have enough space between you and the defence and the support is close enough to get back in time to make sure that you'll get relatively risk free ball at the breakdown.

Then you need to add to that the times where the opportunity is really on to counterattack with the players who are back there with you and look to isolate gaps in the defence. The Hurricanes did this very well against the Force, as did the Chiefs against the Crusaders. Beaudan Barrett is particularly good at identifying and exploiting these opportunities. It may help that often he is passing it to Julian Savea when he hits the line.

It's that whole knowing when it's on and when it's not thing, isn't it. Dare I say, "playing what's in front of you?". The Canes did deliver a master class of that kind of footy on Friday night. Their organisation at the back was terrific and they have players who have the evasive skills and the gas to pull it off. I actually think we have that with the Wallabies too.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
anyone catch Cheks on the Backpage? Made some interesting comments about how some of the aussie teams are having to make some "compromises" this season for the greater good of the wallabies. He didn't really elaborate, other than to say that he is also having to make some compromises. I got the distinct fellign he was referring to position/personnel/tactical directions he has been giving some of the super teams, to ensure his players are better prepared for what he has planned in the world cup.

From Cheika's point of view i wonder if one of the compromises he is making is playing Skelton for more than 60 minutes each game. mere speculation

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It's about time for this sort of cooperation at, and between, all levels of the game.

For the game to survive as a serious sport it needs the national team to be successful, above all else.

For the franchises to survive, likewise they need the active cooperation of their feeder clubs.

We need to establish an Australian style which is a template at all levels of the game, if sacrifices have to be made at lower levels to help the overall health of the game, so be it.

Reactions: BDA
T

TOCC

It was a passing comment from someone whose company works with the ARU in certain areas, but I've just noticed its also in a Greg Growden article... Whether that was his source or whether Growden and him have the same source I'm not sure..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Be great if we could get Lord Laurie. Going to need all hands on deck for the task this year.

With Wales beating Ireland does that mean we are now ranked 6th?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^ latest rankings will come out overnight Aus time. Not sure that Wales did enough to go 5th, I'm thinking they'd have needed to win by 15+ to do so being the home team therefore carrying a 3 ranking point handicap going in.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I like that thought - but suspect it's not the case.

OK so I plugged some numbers into http://www.lassen.co.nz/pagmisc.php#hrh

Assuming I typed it rightly, it puts the point exhange at 1.053 =>
3. Ireland 85.33​
...​
5. Wales 83.90​
6. Austr. 82.95​

Not that it makes a whole lot of difference as I still think we've got the side to match Wales. But we have dropped a lot in recent times.

Status
Not open for further replies.