• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Can Cheika ball work for the Wallabies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ I just got the same result. Who knew there was not merely an app but a whole website for that (other than you, obviously)?

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Being ranked below Wales is no issue. We've beaten them ten times on the trot, our guys definitely have what it takes to beat them

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Being ranked below Wales is no issue. We've beaten them ten times on the trot, our guys definitely have what it takes to beat them
True.

The rankings, for a number of reasons, aren't a particularly accurate indicator of where teams are at. It doesn't warrant despair on the way down or crowing on the way up.

Having said that, it does still show that the Wallabies performances have dropped of late and they have a lot of work to do this year.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So Naiyaravoro is off to Edinburgh but the deal can collapse if selected for the Wallabies. I wonder what Cheika will do..

Mortal Wombat

Allen Oxlade (6)
So Naiyaravoro is off to Edinburgh but the deal can collapse if selected for the Wallabies. I wonder what Cheika will do..

So it's Alofa all over again. What's the point of giving these blokes short contracts and investing game time in them if they're only going to bugger off to Europe at the earliest opportunity?

In the 3 traditionally strong provinces, we've got enough quality outside backs competing for spots that we shouldn't be indulging anyone who isn't committed to sticking around.

I'd start Peter Betham for the rest of the year. I don't know when he's off contract, but even if he left after this season, at least he's payed his dues.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So it's Alofa all over again. What's the point of giving these blokes short contracts and investing game time in them if they're only going to bugger off to Europe at the earliest opportunity?

In the 3 traditionally strong provinces, we've got enough quality outside backs competing for spots that we shouldn't be indulging anyone who isn't committed to sticking around.

I'd start Peter Betham for the rest of the year. I don't know when he's off contract, but even if he left after this season, at least he's payed his dues.

How are we indulging anyone?

It's part and parcel of professional sport. Expect the person to contribute for the duration of their contract and if they decide they don't want to stay for whatever you're willing to pay them then good luck to them.

It works both ways. If the Waratahs desperately wanted to retain people they could offer longer contracts for larger dollars. If they're unsure of a person's future value they'll offer a low value contract which will likely be for only a year or two (because the player would be crazy to accept anything longer).

Mortal Wombat

Allen Oxlade (6)
How are we indulging anyone?

By investing more game time in them when we know they're not sticking around to build the team and develop their own play; particularly when it's a league guy who is still learning the game.

Obviously, in a lot of positions, we probably can't afford to be picky, but we've always got outside backs coming out of our ears, so that should be all she wrote for Mr Naiyaravoro, IMO. I feel differently about Betham, because he's come up through the system.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
You can't commit your bottom line finances to contracting players for years. This is just like any job that any one of us has: you get paid, you provide service. Nothing is forever, and if the employer only wants to pay you for a year, then you put in your best for a year, see if they want to continue, or move on.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Naiyaravoro isn't in the team currently so it is a moot point. If at some point he's considered in our best team again they should pick him. You lose players every year. There is no point constantly thinking about next year when trying to win games this year.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
£500k for a project player. Classic Gunners, that's a big chunk of their BT sport money. At least Visser was already a somewhat proven performer at that level, when they signed him.

They tried to get that Kiwi League Fullback too.

Status
Not open for further replies.