• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Canberra Vikings - Offical NRC Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anyways, something a bit more constructive....... possible lineup:

1. Sione
2. Abel
3. Makin
4. Enever
5. Carter
6. Hyne
7. Cusack
8. Valentini / Fakosilea
9. Powell / Lonergan
10. Hawera
11. Dargaville
12. JJH
13. Kuridrani / Ikitau
14. Taliauli
15. Banks

16. Fainga'a
19. Swain
20. Fakosilea / Valentini
23. Muirehead

If Phipps and Kerevi are preferred of the Wobs during the test season there is a slim chance that Powell and Kuridrani could get a run..........

I reckon they'll start with Fakosilea, but I just don't rate him at all - Valentini will be the better player.

They should be competing for the title with that squad........ but they should've been last year as well - Southwell didn't seem to know what he was doing week to week.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
But I'd question the inclusion of Sione Taufa and Angus Wagner for example. The Vikings' scrum has been towelled up by both the Royals and Wests this year. I can't see how their two props should be there based on the form shown in the semis. Surely, there must be better options in the other JID sides?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Anyways, something a bit more constructive... possible lineup:

1. Sione
2. Abel
3. Makin
4. Enever
5. Carter
6. Hyne
7. Cusack
8. Valentini / Fakosilea
9. Powell / Lonergan
10. Hawera
11. Dargaville
12. JJH
13. Kuridrani / Ikitau
14. Taliauli
15. Banks

16. Fainga'a
18. Swain
19. Fakosilea / Valentini
22. Muirhead

If Phipps and Kerevi are preferred of the Wobs during the test season there is a slim chance that Powell and Kuridrani could get a run....

I reckon they'll start with Fakosilea, but I just don't rate him at all - Valentini will be the better player.

They should be competing for the title with that squad.... but they should've been last year as well - Southwell didn't seem to know what he was doing week to week.

Can't argue with the tight five at all.

Cusack to me is a definite No 6. Has he played No 7 (as distinct from 7s) at all?

Valetini is currently out with concussion. Hopefully, he gets back fit for the NRC. Otherwise, I can see Ben Hyne competing for the No 8 spot with Lolo. Hyne had a storming game there against Wests in the semi.

I'd prefer to see Dargaville playing closer in, so I'd be looking at No 12. I still think JJH has a few deficiencies at this level.

Reckon then I'd look to someone like Tom Banks for the No 13 spot, with Muirhead, Johnston and Taliauli making up the back three.

Swain will be on the bench as lock cover, not in No 18.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cusack to me is a definite No 6. Has he played No 7 (as distinct from 7s) at all?

For the first time ever we seem to be lacking in 7's, hence why I shifted Cusack there..........

We have plenty of 6/8's so I think we'll have to accommodate one of them at 7, and Cusack might be the best option of the bunch.

Reckon then I'd look to someone like Tom Banks for the No 13 spot, with Muirhead, Johnston and Taliauli making up the back three.

There's probably a better chance that they'll shift Dargaville to 13, bring Muirhead onto the wing and keep Banks at fullback.

Swain will be on the bench as lock cover, not in No 18.

Yep, that was just a numbering fault by me.......

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
But I'd question the inclusion of Sione Taufa and Angus Wagner for example. The Vikings' scrum has been towelled up by both the Royals and Wests this year. I can't see how their two props should be there based on the form shown in the semis. Surely, there must be better options in the other JID sides?

Possibly, but in Wests case one of their props is the 38 year old Coutts..........

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
There have been other top performing club players like Penca and OJ Noa who when given the opportunity were shown up not to be good enough for NRC... maybe the selectors don't think that highly of Kaino? Who knows?

The Oakman Hunt boys have stepped up in the past (they were strong performers when the Vikings made the final), so maybe they want that experience in the squad?

The annual moaning about selections gets a little tiring.....

Would you really say that the opportunities that Oj and Penca got at NRC were enough game time to showcase their ability? Lets be honest. . .

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Would you really say that the opportunities that Oj and Penca got at NRC were enough game time to showcase their ability? Lets be honest.

Last year........ yes.

Noa fared slightly better but after all the hype surrounding Penca he just wasn't up to it..

But even my rusted on Queanbeyan old boy of a Father was saying the same thing about him - great club player, but he doesn't have what it takes to make it at higher levels.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
great club player, but he doesn't have what it takes to make it at higher levels.

This is the part I think alot of people miss with the NRC. For most of these club guys it's their first exposure to any sort of professional environment, not everyone is suited to it and often enough that becomes clear on the training paddock as much or more so than on the field.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Who won?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

France. Just.

Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 6.03.15 pm.png

Phantom

Frank Nicholson (4)
Having witnessed the GF, Cussack and Allen would make for a very dynamic back row partnership. Put some raging angry no8 in there and it makes for a good balance.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Having witnessed the GF, Cussack and Allen would make for a very dynamic back row partnership. Put some raging angry no8 in there and it makes for a good balance.

Like that idea. Either of Hyne or Kaino would fit in at 8, but of course Kaino doesn't seem to have made the squad.

Probably Fakosolea if he can stay fit, or Valetini if he can get fit will fill the 8 spot.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Anyone want to help us cover the Vikings this year? Looking for people to write match reviews of home matches or take photos?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Vikings team vs Qld Country

Tom Cusack unavailable this week.

1. Harry Lloyd
2. Robbie Abel
3. Les Leuluailii-Makin
4. Blake Enever (C)
5. Sam Carter
6. Ben Hyne
7. Angus Allen