• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Canberra Vikings - Offical NRC Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
I am aware that the NRC coaches have given an opportunity to some up and coming players who are training in a Shadow squad. They will train until the end of the NRC comp, and I presume will get a call up if they get major injuries. I think this is great, as the youngsters will still continue to train at Brumbies HQ and continue to improve towards next years NRC comp!

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
I am aware that the NRC coaches have given an opportunity to some up and coming players who are training in a Shadow squad. They will train until the end of the NRC comp, and I presume will get a call up if they get major injuries. I think this is great, as the youngsters will still continue to train at Brumbies HQ and continue to improve towards next years NRC comp!
It would be nice if they were consistent with this. If Perry was picked over Penca for development reasons, shouldn't the same be applied for Nadruku or Penders over Taula. Oh no that's right, it's as simple as the fact that Tuggeranong players are picked over players from any other club!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
When did Lala Lam become a hooker? Hasnt he been playing for Easts in sydney, would this mean a move back to Qbn maybe next yr? Or even Vikings - That is prob 1 position they need depth in.

Pro teams have been fiddling with his move to hooker for a bit, don't think he's played there for any club teams. How old is he now?

I think I read something about him being aligned with Royals?

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
It would be nice if they were consistent with this. If Perry was picked over Penca for development reasons, shouldn't the same be applied for Nadruku or Penders over Taula. Oh no that's right, it's as simple as the fact that Tuggeranong players are picked over players from any other club!

Well as far as I am aware all these players trained together for a number of months. A cull of the team occurred back in approx June, then the remaining squad continued to train at the Gym as well as starting contact/ apposed training etc. They looked at overall performances, improvements in the gym, and how well they performed with set piece, apposed training etc. From that they made their decisions on who stayed and made the 23 man squad, who would continue to develop and who would get dropped. It doesn't mean that boys like Nadruku, Penders etc aren't still on the radar. If the Canberra community will go and watch our NRC home games so the comp can stay viable, then many of the players that missed out this year will obviously get another looked in for next years comp.
Canberra has great depth at the moment, which is great for the JID and NRC. So instead of continually whinging about bloody vikings getting more players in, how bout the community get supportive and back the team so more young players get the development and support they need to go to that next level. Yes its not ideal that Taula got in, over some of these younger players, but he has trained just as hard, has been sticking at his rugby for many years and deserves it just as much as any of these younger boys. For Taula, this might be his last "hara" before he steps away. Nadruku, Penders, Lay, Gillespie and some of the youngsters who were in the squad and were dropped are 20-21 Yr olds. They have plenty of time to develop, learn and grow as players. If they are good enough their time will come I am sure!

Reactions: mst

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Pro teams have been fiddling with his move to hooker for a bit, don't think he's played there for any club teams. How old is he now?

I think I read something about him being aligned with Royals?

Had a look at the Easts site and he has been playing a mix of 7/8 earlier in the year and now playing a mix of 1st/2nd grade at Hooker - so maybe he saw there was more chance for him at Hooker - or maybe the Canberra side asked him to change - Its def an area where we need more depth.

Maybe Royals - not sure - would be good to see him go back to Qbn if he was playing in the John I Dent next year.

He would be about 25 now I think.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Saw Nadruku was leaving aswell next year in a video done in the Qbn Age - not sure if he was joking or not?

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Well as far as I am aware all these players trained together for a number of months. A cull of the team occurred back in approx June, then the remaining squad continued to train at the Gym as well as starting contact/ apposed training etc. They looked at overall performances, improvements in the gym, and how well they performed with set piece, apposed training etc. From that they made their decisions on who stayed and made the 23 man squad, who would continue to develop and who would get dropped. It doesn't mean that boys like Nadruku, Penders etc aren't still on the radar!
Don't know where to start with what I disagree on in this post, but glad you agree it is hypocrisy giving Taula a spot.
Judging players on gym performance is one of the things that is wrong with selection for professional teams. Pity we can't measure the strength of the heart cause that has as much of a reason why teams win games of rugby at any level!
It's all well and good to say stop winging and get on with supporting the team, easy to say for some, but when have Vikings name, ground, colours and then pick a massive majority of their players in the team it is very hard for the rest of us to feel a connection to the team.
The Raiders started with money from the QBN Leagues club, I'm pretty sure I watched a team playing in green and called the raiders play today, although I'm sure the QBN Blues could of done a better job!

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
I can't believe that the team that has dominated the competition for the past few years has more players picked than any other team?

Bloody Vikings conspiracy!
Of course they were going to get more players, but double the amount of every other club put together is a bit over the top!

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
So who are these more deserving players, and how does this Vikings conspiracy work exactly?

Are the Brumbies now being run by the Tuggeranong Valley-Illuminati?
I have never said there is a Vikings conspiracy, I totally get the financial reasons for the team being as it is.
Well it depends, are we picking players based on being more deserved of the team or for development reasons?

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
Don't know where to start with what I disagree on in this post, but glad you agree it is hypocrisy giving Taula a spot.
Judging players on gym performance is one of the things that is wrong with selection for professional teams. Pity we can't measure the strength of the heart cause that has as much of a reason why teams win games of rugby at any level!
It's all well and good to say stop winging and get on with supporting the team, easy to say for some, but when have Vikings name, ground, colours and then pick a massive majority of their players in the team it is very hard for the rest of us to feel a connection to the team.
The Raiders started with money from the QBN Leagues club, I'm pretty sure I watched a team playing in green and called the raiders play today, although I'm sure the QBN Blues could of done a better job!

Im not saying I agree with how things are done either, but whether we like it or not times have changed, the game has become more professional and part of that process is about making gaines in the gym. Just because most boys have to do work in the gym doesn't mean that they have no heart. Thats ridiculous. Are you going to tell the Brumbies and Tahs that they have no heart. Those professional boys spend hours in the gym.
Its not Vikings fault that no other club tried to come on board and put in a tender. Its not Vikings fault that they have a more secure ground so that the NRC can charge gate entry. Its not Vikings fault that more then 3 other NRC franchises got dibs in first and have Yellow/Blue/White Jersies and the like.
(Sydney Uni have a lot of pull in NSW). Do you mean to say, that you won't go and support Les Makin when he runs out for the NRC cause he's wearing the wrong colours. Thats also bloody ridiculous.

BlueBagger

Allen Oxlade (6)
I have never said there is a Vikings conspiracy, I totally get the financial reasons for the team being as it is.
Well it depends, are we picking players based on being more deserved of the team or for development reasons?
Out of curiosity which tuggies players (besides Perry) do you think don't deserve their spot and which player deserves to replace them?
Not saying I agree or disagree with you but just curious

Status
Not open for further replies.