• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Canberra Vikings - Offical NRC Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Don't know where to start with what I disagree on in this post, but glad you agree it is hypocrisy giving Taula a spot.
Judging players on gym performance is one of the things that is wrong with selection for professional teams. Pity we can't measure the strength of the heart cause that has as much of a reason why teams win games of rugby at any level!
It's all well and good to say stop winging and get on with supporting the team, easy to say for some, but when have Vikings name, ground, colours and then pick a massive majority of their players in the team it is very hard for the rest of us to feel a connection to the team.
The Raiders started with money from the QBN Leagues club, I'm pretty sure I watched a team playing in green and called the raiders play today, although I'm sure the QBN Blues could of done a better job!
How dare the Vikings make it possible for Canberra and region players to have the opportunity to play in the NRC. Just wrong! Without them we wouldn't have the problem of Vikings name, ground, colours and then pick a massive majority of their players in the team it is very hard for the rest of us to feel a connection to the team - instead we would have nothing at all and be desperate for any opportunity to have a team in the NRC.
Here's a thought, support the opportunity and see if we can expand in future to two teams. Until then, can I ask on behalf of people who want the game to succeed and give the players an opportunity for you to stop the complaining. Surely if you have been around sports at all you would comprehend that player selection is subjective and based on the judgement of the coach etc, and we the supporters wont always agree. I am sure there is a least nearly an additional full squad's worth of players that deserve a shot and that will only happen when people stop trying to drag down our only team and the new competition.

Reactions: FTS

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Out of curiosity which tuggies players (besides Perry) do you think don't deserve their spot and which player deserves to replace them?
Not saying I agree or disagree with you but just curious
I have never said Perry does not deserve his spot, he is a great talent that has a bright future in the game. But if we are picking players for development reasons then surely a Penders or a Nadruku should be picked over a Taula? If we are picking players purely on their ability right now then I do think that Penca or Sok or Rocky are better players right now, and before someone says that Sok hasn't played all year, neither has Jake Rakic, that hasn't prevented him from getting picked.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Im not saying I agree with how things are done either, but whether we like it or not times have changed, the game has become more professional and part of that process is about making gaines in the gym. Just because most boys have to do work in the gym doesn't mean that they have no heart. Thats ridiculous. Are you going to tell the Brumbies and Tahs that they have no heart. Those professional boys spend hours in the gym.
Its not Vikings fault that no other club tried to come on board and put in a tender. Its not Vikings fault that they have a more secure ground so that the NRC can charge gate entry. Its not Vikings fault that more then 3 other NRC franchises got dibs in first and have Yellow/Blue/White Jersies and the like.
(Sydney Uni have a lot of pull in NSW). Do you mean to say, that you won't go and support Les Makin when he runs out for the NRC cause he's wearing the wrong colours. Thats also bloody ridiculous.
Well actually there was a Brumbies bid put in on behalf of the region, but instead of following through they took the easy option and join the Vikings one, much to the displeasure of a number of club presidents.
I'm not arguing that a number of blokes that put in at the gym don't have the heart to be a top player, but this shouldn't be a deciding factor on who gets picked in a team. I will say again that I get why the Vikings have control over this team, I get the financials of it all, but they can stop pretending to be for the enhancement of all rugby in the region, it's to increase their empire and good luck to them, they have the money and the pull, they can do what they like. I have spoken to Les and told him that he has my full support because he is a great player and they will see that, but I can't see myself going to a game wearing a red jumper with a Viking on the chest and yelling out 'go Vikings'

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
How dare the Vikings make it possible for Canberra and region players to have the opportunity to play in the NRC. Just wrong! Without them we wouldn't have the problem of Vikings name, ground, colours and then pick a massive majority of their players in the team it is very hard for the rest of us to feel a connection to the team - instead we would have nothing at all and be desperate for any opportunity to have a team in the NRC.
Here's a thought, support the opportunity and see if we can expand in future to two teams. Until then, can I ask on behalf of people who want the game to succeed and give the players an opportunity for you to stop the complaining. Surely if you have been around sports at all you would comprehend that player selection is subjective and based on the judgement of the coach etc, and we the supporters wont always agree. I am sure there is a least nearly an additional full squad's worth of players that deserve a shot and that will only happen when people stop trying to drag down our only team and the new competition.
I have already answered why I don't agree with a lot of what you have said here. As far as player selection goes, it is subjective, subjective to a former Tuggeranong coach with his current Tuggeranong assistant. Yes I do know there Robberds is involved but I'm not sure he would get much of a say.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I have never said Perry does not deserve his spot, he is a great talent that has a bright future in the game. But if we are picking players for development reasons then surely a Penders or a Nadruku should be picked over a Taula? If we are picking players purely on their ability right now then I do think that Penca or Sok or Rocky are better players right now, and before someone says that Sok hasn't played all year, neither has Jake Rakic, that hasn't prevented him from getting picked.

They're picking players for a number of reasons. It's about competing in a strong competition now, about identifying future Super Rugby prospects whether that is for next year or a couple of years down the track. It's also about combining experienced players with young players.

People are getting caught up in selections needing to be based on one specific criteria. Team sport is never about that. It's about assembling a side you think will perform well together.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
They're picking players for a number of reasons. It's about competing in a strong competition now, about identifying future Super Rugby prospects whether that is for next year or a couple of years down the track. It's also about combining experienced players with young players.

People are getting caught up in selections needing to be based on one specific criteria. Team sport is never about that. It's about assembling a side you think will perform well together.
Totally agree, there needs to be a balance, but why would someone like Taula need to be picked when there are experienced campaigners in the front row like the Smith twins? Wouldn't you pick some of the younger blokes to develop them, because in all honesty the 4 props picked for the game day squad will be jp, ruan, allan and les, unless they say Les can only play tighthead, which is not true, he has dominated at loosehead for the second half of this season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Totally agree, there needs to be a balance, but why would someone like Taula need to be picked when there are experienced campaigners in the front row like the Smith twins? Wouldn't you pick some of the younger blokes to develop them, because in all honesty the 4 props picked for the game day squad will be jp, ruan, allan and les, unless they say Les can only play tighthead, which is not true, he has dominated at loosehead for the second half of this season.

I don't actually know the players in question. I'm not a Canberra local.

This sort of argument is featuring amongst many of the teams though. The selection of various veterans have been questioned elsewhere too.

I can't say why they've selected this guy but looking across several of the teams, the powers that be have clearly had similar ideas about selecting some mature players.

Maybe they think some of the younger blokes like the Smiths and Ala'alotoa have something to be gained from him?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Well actually there was a Brumbies bid put in on behalf of the region, but instead of following through they took the easy option and join the Vikings one, much to the displeasure of a number of club presidents.
I'm not arguing that a number of blokes that put in at the gym don't have the heart to be a top player, but this shouldn't be a deciding factor on who gets picked in a team. I will say again that I get why the Vikings have control over this team, I get the financials of it all, but they can stop pretending to be for the enhancement of all rugby in the region, it's to increase their empire and good luck to them, they have the money and the pull, they can do what they like. I have spoken to Les and told him that he has my full support because he is a great player and they will see that, but I can't see myself going to a game wearing a red jumper with a Viking on the chest and yelling out 'go Vikings'
Well Go to the game and cheer on whoever they play against. Just turn up or there won't be a team.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
No, NRC is a great concept that is very much needed in this country. I should make it clear, am happy for there to be a Vikings team in it, just not in its current form!

What would have to change if there were more diverse selections?
Or change of uniform or name or ground.

I'm not having a go just generally curious? I'm trying to figure out what's the main reason for alienating of fans.

Where else would\could they play? Maybe after the first season people should request a game be taken to another field.

Before the selection of the team would you have gone to watch? But now find it bias?

Do you just hate Tuggers.? Understandable the south sides crap ;)

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
What would have to change if there were more diverse selections?
Or change of uniform or name or ground.

I'm not having a go just generally curious? I'm trying to figure out what's the main reason for alienating of fans.

Where else would\could they play? Maybe after the first season people should request a game be taken to another field.

Before the selection of the team would you have gone to watch? But now find it bias?

Do you just hate Tuggers.? Understandable the south sides crap ;)
Being perfectly honest i was 50/50 before the selection of the squad. I would of gone to watch games but would never buy supporter apparel. Happy with the ground, undoubtedly the best venue for such a team to play at. The name is not ideal, I get the reasons for it. It is a three way venture though and I think the Brumbies should of grown a set and stood up for the betterment of all ACT Rugby. When I heard whispers of the squad a while back that's when I decided I wouldn't be supporting the team. The main reason I am so annoyed with it is the fact that it will make the local comp even more uneven. We at QBN hold our own against Tuggeranong I feel, something that we are extremely proud of considering our limited resources. But what message does it send to a young bloke leaving school. Something that a club like Easts could offer blokes before, is a shot at playing first grade very early. With blokes being selected out of Tuggeranong lower grades, not even that can be used. I know this team will do very well in the competition, but that shouldn't be used in a few years time when measuring the success of the team. What it does for the local rugby scene should be a priority for this team and all I can see this doing is making Tuggeranong even stronger to the point that it might see a few clubs go under.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Maybe there needs to be a rule in place, that if you want to make the NRC team you have to be playing 1st grade in JID Cup or obviously a Brumby. That would mean young guys may go to other clubs to play 1st grade, and farm out the Talent, definitely think that the Brumbies should start allocating the players who ain't in the 23 out too the weaker teams to make them stronger.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Maybe there needs to be a rule in place, that if you want to make the NRC team you have to be playing 1st grade in JID Cup or obviously a Brumby. That would mean young guys may go to other clubs to play 1st grade, and farm out the Talent, definitely think that the Brumbies should start allocating the players who ain't in the 23 out too the weaker teams to make them stronger.
I think this wouldn't be a bad idea, have to play a certain percentage of games in that season in first grade. Could help, obviously need to be some allowance in that for circumstances, such as top quality player coming back from injury, but if you use Jake Rakic as an example, never been a regular in first grade, plays one game of second grade this year at tuggers then gets picked.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think this wouldn't be a bad idea, have to play a certain percentage of games in that season in first grade. Could help, obviously need to be some allowance in that for circumstances, such as top quality player coming back from injury, but if you use Jake Rakic as an example, never been a regular in first grade, plays one game of second grade this year at tuggers then gets picked.

Yeah, I tend to think if you can't make first grade at your club you shouldnt be in the squad, and if your the second best in your position then you may need to go else where to get a gig. But I guess another point is teams who win more usually get the 50/50 calls..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There are never likely to be any hard and fast selection rules for these sort of teams.

It's not a representative team. It's a brand new team in a brand new third tier competition that is aimed at bridging the gap between Super Rugby and club rugby.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Yeah, I tend to think if you can't make first grade at your club you shouldnt be in the squad, and if your the second best in your position then you may need to go else where to get a gig. But I guess another point is teams who win more usually get the 50/50 calls..
Yeah i guess they do, but I think regardless of the results of the grand finals this week, we won't see QBN players get anywhere near the numbers that Tuggers have got in this year, and nor should we, there are talented players right across the JID who have not been considered!

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
There are never likely to be any hard and fast selection rules for these sort of teams.

It's not a representative team. It's a brand new team in a brand new third tier competition that is aimed at bridging the gap between Super Rugby and club rugby.
Yep you are right, but what the UC Vikings are trying to say is that it is a representative team of the best of the best of the Canberra region, something that isn't shown in the selection of this squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.