• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Carter to turn out for club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
And why can't MMM turn out for the Reds in 2010?

Because, according to the current eligiblity regulations in force in Australia, he's contracted to play in Japan for the next three years. If he's that keen to play for the Reds in 2010 why didn't he sign a one year contract or fucking well stay here. Talk about having your cake and eating it.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lindommer said:
formeropenside said:
And why can't MMM turn out for the Reds in 2010?

Because, according to the current eligiblity regulations in force in Australia, he's contracted to play in Japan for the next three years. If he's that keen to play for the Reds in 2010 why didn't he sign a one year contract or fucking well stay here. Talk about having your cake and eating it.

Yep. There's an excellent article by Andrew Slack reproduced on the thread "Qld Reds 2010" which is highly relevant to this subject.

Suppose McMinimum plays for the Reds in 2010 and gets crocked, of which the probability is high. Out goes the Japan contract and the riches. I wonder if he is fully aware of that possibility?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Biffo said:
So, the media make the "rules"?

I suspect that the real - and probably written within the ARU - "rule" is that players must be contracted to (not play with) a S14 team to be eligible for the Wallabies. John O'Neill made that point several times while Rocky was negotiating.

BTW, Rocky was ineligible for the Wallabies throughout 2007 and 2008. He is now fully eligible.

No, the media was quoting people from the ARU [prior to the Elsom saga]. They changed their stance to contracted around the same time as they talked about Elsom returning. Who knows what the actual official rule is, and even if there is one. The NZ press used to say the same thing (quoting NZRU), prior to Carter leaving.

Regarding 3M, if the Reds are that serious about him playing then they should arrange a 3 or 4 month contract themselves - which is, I assume, what they are seeking to do. If I was the Japanese club I'd tell them to get stuffed, for the reason above.

Status
Not open for further replies.