• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
> Footage of one of the Cranbrook 2nd XV tries [and also a couple of try saving plays]. They lost to Oakhill 17-14 [3 tries to 2]

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
15mins footage of the Oakhill game at Cranbrook [incl. 12 tries]. To view at optimal screen size: click on the title at the top of the picture [i.e. larger than here on the forum, but smaller than 'full screen']. As the scoreline would suggest, Oakhill were solid in defence and their ball handling skills in open play were superb. The fifth and last tries were run in after stealing the attacking side's possession within the 22.

Ruck & Maul 101

Allen Oxlade (6)
Some good phases of play but i wouldn't take that performance into perspective for how Oakhill will go this season. Some very ordinary play by Cranbrook. Not saying Oakhill didn't play well or that they aren't a good side because they are, but they will perform differently when they play the heavy weights...

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
Some good phases of play but i wouldn't take that performance into perspective for how Oakhill will go this season. Some very ordinary play by Cranbrook. Not saying Oakhill didn't play well or that they aren't a good side because they are, but they will perform differently when they play the heavy weights.

Indeed, the try at 2:55 was almost a Laurel & Hardy moment.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hmmm ... not looking great for Brook in 2015

losing players like Makas, Summerhayes, Renton, Edelstein and probably their best Mahony (IMHO), was going to be a big hole

I reckon Waverley 16As would beat them, if they play like that

then again Oakhill I reckon are a pretty decent team, with last years Aussie school boy # 9, looking the goods, and forward pack looking strong, and backs not shabby .... think a few will be pushing for NSW honours

and Auggies v Oakhill will be one of the schoolboy matches of 2015

either way Brook better have a close look at that tape ... and they can only improve from that

nsrugby17

Frank Row (1)
Barker College 1st xv toured to Queensland over the holiday period.
Won all three games:
Beat Iona 64-0
Beat St laurences 34-12
Beat Marist Ashgrove 34-31
This could be a good turn around for barker in the leadup to the Knox game.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I gather Barker and Trinity have games against Shore and St Pats, before the opening round next weekend.

How about the other schools (Waverley/Knox/Cranners/Aloys?)... always hard to ensure you don't start season underdone, or too beat-up.

Interesting mail on Jake Smirnotis ... obviously great basketballer, but don't understand exactly what is likely to happen there ... I guess it can only be good, and another strike weapon for the Waverley backs

Where is big Marn and his weather prognostications ... normally popps up about now, predicting "slop" and more "slop"

might even have to dodge a few up-rooted trees

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Barker College 1st xv toured to Queensland over the holiday period.
Won all three games:
Beat Iona 64-0
Beat St laurences 34-12
Beat Marist Ashgrove 34-31
This could be a good turn around for barker in the leadup to the Knox game.
I saw the Ashgrove game, Ash led 31-19 with 10 minutes to go and at that stage had 9 starters sitting on the bench ( although Barker also had several starters off at that point).
Barker took the game's only penalty shot for goal at 31-31 whereas Ashgrove declined two shots from 20m out, right in front, in the last few minutes in search of the winning try, so the result has to be seen in that context. Barker certainly celebrated the win though, and good on them as it was very entertaining and free-flowing game.
Unfortunately, on what I saw, and given the above results against younger and smaller teams from AIC schools (SLC and Iona are both pretty weak), Barker will really struggle in the CAS this year. I hope to be proven wrong, but the Knox game will be a real challenge for them.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
15mins footage of the Oakhill game at Cranbrook [incl. 12 tries].

As the scoreline would suggest, Oakhill were solid in defence and their ball handling skills in open play were superb. [/media]

Thanks for posting that sidesteppa.

That Oakhill scrummie looked fairly handy: I wonder what his name is??

Just kidding - that's the Aus Schools 9 Harrison Goddard who just turned 17 this month. He was running around training with the NSW U20s in December, no doubt to get him interested in joining the Waratahs at some point.

He can play.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
On the basis of several contributors on these pages indicating that
there would be a resurgence in the Rugby at Trinity,I attended expecting a good match.Unfortunately it was pretty ordinary fare.
St.Patricks defeated Trinity 37 to 12, 5 tries to 2.
Trinity dominated the set pieces,I understand without a couple of their better forwards,but their backs were unable to take advantage,& really struggled to break the St.Pats defensive line.
St.Pats on the other hand defended very well,obtained plenty of ball from turnovers,& as the game progressed started to find plenty of gaps out wide in some flimsy Trinity backline defence.
James Leckie found plenty of reasons to penalise both sides, which obviously also contributed to a lack lustre game.
Based on todays display, Waverley would have to be hot favourites in the first round against Trinity,while St.Pats should be competitive in the ISA but will struggle against teams with a decent pack of forwards.
St.Pats won the seconds by a similar margin.

S

sidelineview

I gather Barker and Trinity have games against Shore and St Pats, before the opening round next weekend.

How about the other schools (Waverley/Knox/Cranners/Aloys?). always hard to ensure you don't start season underdone, or too beat-up.

Interesting mail on Jake Smirnotis . obviously great basketballer, but don't understand exactly what is likely to happen there . I guess it can only be good, and another strike weapon for the Waverley backs

Where is big Marn and his weather prognostications . normally popps up about now, predicting "slop" and more "slop"

might even have to dodge a few up-rooted trees

The Waves centre, Jake Smirnotis played 1st XV in Year 10, basketball last year and is back playing rugby this season as a year 12 student.

M

M squad 2015

With all the trial games wrapped up, what are the 2015 ladder predictions now that teams have had a chance to show what they can do

Ready to Ruck

Frank Row (1)
Aloysius adventured to The Kings College In Auckland during the school break and just an update on scores:

1st XV won 7-0
2nd XV went down 0-12

It looks to be a very promising season for the boys from Milsons Point. A win against a very prestigious and tough Kings College will provide the team with great confidence going into round 1 against Cranbrook.

Status
Not open for further replies.