• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
I will be in touch with you at least at the beginning of next year when the draw is out, if not sooner.

The Knox situation you have outlined doesn't float my boat either.
Just makes us more determined to beat knox, as usual!
That should get some responses!

richard powell

Allen Oxlade (6)
the bulldog prop is Gus Ticehurst who ended up playing for Norths 1st grade for a number of years and could drink like there was no tomorrow and Mick O'Brien actually went to St. Leos (everyone I know thought he went to Aloys) and is now a lawyer in Scone; very funny guy

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Yep, that's how I remember Gus!
Funny about Mick, maybe because he hung around with you guys, I think!
Anyway have a think about who might/can make the game, and I will likewise.
The trick here will be plenty of notice, I recon I can probably get 5-7, some are geographically impossible, probably the same for some of your guys.

Guys I do remember were Stephen C. your excellent lanky break away, your brilliant fullback, 5/8, and of course Mark B, my man at outside centre!
But also anyone else you think.

Can't remember all their names maybe you can remind me.

richard powell

Allen Oxlade (6)
1. Gus Ticehurst
2. Mark Morrison
3. John Hickey
4. Mick Gillis
5. Nick Ratcliffe
6. Phil McAleer
7. Dave McAleer
8. Don Mckenzie
9. Jack Small
10. Mick Dunn
11. Joe Wilson
12. Dick Powell
13. Mark Bourgois
14. Steve Cahill
15. Andrew Quoyle

Not a bad memory for an old bloke.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Ok, you would think I would remember no.3!

But I distinctly remember 1,8,10,12,13,14,15.

1.Andrew Ugarte
2.Vince Mctaggart
3.Dave Gould
4.Tim Kava
5.Guy Reynolds
6. John Coorey
7.Remo Cignetti
8.Andrew Smith
9. Craig Sproule
10.Mark Jackman
11. Ovia
12.Richard Rhineburger
13.Denis Hickey
14 Mark Zaccriotto
15.Rod Cunningham.

Back at you from another old bloke!

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
good side

Hi Dick,

The 2017 Rugby draw just came out from Waverley.

We play Aloys on Sat June 3 at QP, 3.15pm, there is not a second round anymore, the home and away comp has ended, good in my opinion.

We could catch up for lunch first at the Robin Hood Hotel just 100m up the road first, if you like.

I know this is early notice but time creeps up as you know, so probably best to float this out now and have people lock it in.

I think I can probably get half a dozen, over to you.

DH.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
In 1979 I played cricket and rugby against St Aloysius, but also went there in the debating team. I distinctly remember there was graffiti all over the place saying "Gus is a Nazi". Never figured out why.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Incidentally, while we're on a nostalgia trip - the funniest moment of the 1979 season. It was the afternoon tea after the match in which Trinity drew 14-14 with Waverley at Queen's Park. Actually that in itself was pretty funny - Waverley went into the game assuming that if 28 points were scored in the game, they'd score them all. So Brother Murphy was standing there giving everyone the Glare of Death, and Andrew Ugarte had to make a speech. Ugarte: very handy prop, Australian Schoolboys, very mobile. As a speechmaker? Not so hot. So someone, I always assumed John Coorey, wrote his after-match speeches for him. Ugarte reached into his blazer pocket, pulled out his speech, and started reading: "Brother Berg..." Coorey gave him a jab in the ribs. "Berg is St Pats! That's from last week!" There was then a second or two when Ugarte looked stunned, and then he said, "OK. I'll just say what I want to say. There were two teams out there today, and either of them could have won it if they'd wanted to." Baffled silence, especially from the other 29 players who were reasonably sure they'd been trying to win... Then Trinity's captain bounced up and gave exactly the same speech he gave every week, whether we lost 0-28 or.. well, drew 14-14. In full, it went: "Thanks for a great game of footy and I'd like to thank the ladies for the afternoon tea." Post-match speeches were always silly, but never more so than that day.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Incidentally, while we're on a nostalgia trip - the funniest moment of the 1979 season. It was the afternoon tea after the match in which Trinity drew 14-14 with Waverley at Queen's Park. Actually that in itself was pretty funny - Waverley went into the game assuming that if 28 points were scored in the game, they'd score them all. So Brother Murphy was standing there giving everyone the Glare of Death, and Andrew Ugarte had to make a speech. Ugarte: very handy prop, Australian Schoolboys, very mobile. As a speechmaker? Not so hot. So someone, I always assumed John Coorey, wrote his after-match speeches for him. Ugarte reached into his blazer pocket, pulled out his speech, and started reading: "Brother Berg." Coorey gave him a jab in the ribs. "Berg is St Pats! That's from last week!" There was then a second or two when Ugarte looked stunned, and then he said, "OK. I'll just say what I want to say. There were two teams out there today, and either of them could have won it if they'd wanted to." Baffled silence, especially from the other 29 players who were reasonably sure they'd been trying to win. Then Trinity's captain bounced up and gave exactly the same speech he gave every week, whether we lost 0-28 or.. well, drew 14-14. In full, it went: "Thanks for a great game of footy and I'd like to thank the ladies for the afternoon tea." Post-match speeches were always silly, but never more so than that day.

Snort, just worked it out!

What position did you play in the Trinity 1979 side?

richard powell

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hi D.H,

Spoke to a few boys on the weekend and I am pretty sure i've got about 8-10 guys for the lunch. I am organising a mini bus so we are going to make a day of it. Fair chance my boy might be playing that day so could make it a bit more interesting, so could be a fun day mate. It will be a good catch up.

cheers
Dick

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Hi D.H,

Spoke to a few boys on the weekend and I am pretty sure i've got about 8-10 guys for the lunch. I am organising a mini bus so we are going to make a day of it. Fair chance my boy might be playing that day so could make it a bit more interesting, so could be a fun day mate. It will be a good catch up.

cheers
Dick

Wow big guy, you are on fire.

I will talk to my guys and you have a date, it will be a hoot.
Stay tuned I will start the smoke signals and come back to you.

What do we wear so you can recognise us?

DH.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Hi D.H,

cheers
Dick

Do you mean your boy might/should/will be in the 1sts?

I have 2 boys at Waverley but in 14's and 12's.

richard powell

Allen Oxlade (6)
hi mate,

2 things:
1) i will remember u guys .

1.Andrew Ugarte (nearly tackled him but wisely pulled out at last second)
2.Vince Mctaggart (tough bugger)
3.Dave Gould ( pretty boy for a prop)
4.Tim Kava (unforgetable and worked with him for a while)
5.Guy Reynolds (played and drank plenty with him at Norths colts)
6. John Coorey ( syd uni which is unfort but great looking sister)
7.Remo Cignetti (could talk it up on field)
8.Andrew Smith (more talent in his little finger than all of us)
9. Craig Sproule (him and his old man(with leather jacket) .. great blokes
10.Mark Jackman ( loved to laugh .. cld play)
11. Ovia (scored that bloody try at the end)
12.Richard Rhineburger (famous Waverley name)
13.Denis Hickey ( gee we played a lot of cricket and footy against each other
14 Mark Zaccriot (quick)
15. Rod Cunningham (saved u guys a few times that day)

2) he is an outside chance , more likely stay in his age group which will be 16-A's but is training with the opens at the mom

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
hi mate,

2 things:
1) i will remember u guys .

1.Andrew Ugarte (nearly tackled him but wisely pulled out at last second)
2.Vince Mctaggart (tough bugger)
3.Dave Gould ( pretty boy for a prop)
4.Tim Kava (unforgetable and worked with him for a while)
5.Guy Reynolds (played and drank plenty with him at Norths colts)
6. John Coorey ( syd uni which is unfort but great looking sister)
7.Remo Cignetti (could talk it up on field)
8.Andrew Smith (more talent in his little finger than all of us)
9. Craig Sproule (him and his old man(with leather jacket) .. great blokes
10.Mark Jackman ( loved to laugh .. cld play)
11. Ovia (scored that bloody try at the end)
12.Richard Rhineburger (famous Waverley name)
13.Denis Hickey ( gee we played a lot of cricket and footy against each other
14 Mark Zaccriot (quick)
15. Rod Cunningham (saved u guys a few times that day)

2) he is an outside chance , more likely stay in his age group which will be 16-A's but is training with the opens at the mom

Very funny captions and frighteningly accurate!

Our 16's are average, so your boy should be in with a great chance.

My memories of the game are as follows:

We saw you guys play a couple of strong teams, Terrace and Newington.
Your team was very impressive, we knew that our game was THE game.

Couldn't work out why you guys kept kicking the ball with such a talented and quick backline, but happy to see the ball in the air!

I remember Andrew Quoyle standing me up and smoking me down the side line, luckily Jacko had real speed and was covering!

Don McKensie had a blinder, saved you guys plenty of times, and was a bloody pest.

Clearly a game we all remember!

I have just sent out an email, will keep you informed.

Regards DH.

Our 16's are average, so your boy should be in with a great chance.

My memories of the game are as follows:

We saw you guys play a few times, Terrace and Newington.
Very impressive side, we knew this would be THE game.

Couldn't work out why you guys kept kicking the ball with a backline so talented and quick, but happy to see it in the air!

I remember being stood up by

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
On the waverly nostalgia trip. When I was at chev, we played waverly u16s and lost 100+ to nil. That team contained Ryan Cross, Adam Freier. I distinctly remember tackling Freier with a good tackle, but came off second best injuring my knee. The next year when our 1st xv played the same vintage we lost 80 odd nil. Ryan Cross was a freak at school and as someone already alluded, was near unstoppable.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
"Ryan Cross was a freak at school and as someone already alluded, was near unstoppable."

I remember speaking to the Trinity 1st XV coach at that time, the week before the Waverley game, and he assured me, "We've got a plan for Cross." Cross scored four tries. "What happened to the plan?" I asked. "Mate, it worked", was the answer, "he only scored four." He wasn't joking, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.