• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Thanks Catchpole, I shall give them a shop. Tasmania does do some nice wines. Good cool climate stuff. A decent pinot with some of their cheeses could be the go.

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
At least the CAS comp is longer than the GPS who only play one round between 5 teams. A three way tie in GPS is a real possiblity.

The last round is all but academic now that Barker have won the comp. Waverely will no doubt have a good crack this wekend and they could pull it off but it is all a bit late. Barker are deserviing champs, they played the most disciplined and structured rugby all season and are to be congratulated after finishing without a win in 2009. Knox showed they lacked depth without Clarke. Aloys and Cranbrook tried hard and were competitive in most games. Trinity needed Debrezini and O'Sullivan on the field to make an impact and were very patchy. In all a solid but not outstanding year.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Informer

I agree. Well done Barker after being so bad last year.

I would love to hear from someone within the Barker camp how they managed the turn around. New coach? Heart transplants?

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I would love to hear from someone within the Barker camp how they managed the turn around. New coach? Heart transplants?

I'm not in the Barker camp but I would think that their performance this year is linked to the strength of that age group. This group was probably strong right through from the under 13 age group. Performances will vary from year to year depending on the strength of the age group.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Yes I think this year for Barker is the result of a very strong U16's two years ago. Also last year they had a fair few injuries. In general there seems to be quite a good correlation between the 1sts and recent u16's. In saying that Barker, Waverly and Alos should be quite competitive next year and also Knox should be strong when their 2nds move to the first. In some ways I thought Knox 2nds were a better side than their 1sts, especially in operating as a team and "intelligence" shown in their style of play. (Or that there was not a good deal of depth in CAS opens and they just looked good relatively!)

H

Hahn

My apologies, not a shoulder charge but a late hit by at least a second or 2, as is evident by the fact S.Hatyer clearly does not have the ball in his hands. And whilst this sort of thing happens all the time, it was the 3rd or 4th time on one of the Hayter twins and i think the Barker boys had enough of it, although I have to say poor Bursle copped a hiding from the Barker forward pack throughout the whole game.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I have to agree Hahn, I thought there were some late hits too that were not picked up by the match officials. I felt the Barker lads had probably had enough of this and took matters into their own hands.

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yeah that'll fix it, how come it was up to the Barker boys to decide. This story comes out everytime one of them gets sent off.

H

Hahn

Yeah that'll fix it, how come it was up to the Barker boys to decide. This story comes out everytime one of them gets sent off.

When was it said it would fix anything? It was more a matter of frustration. personally I donot condone such behaviour, it's just a part of schoolboy rugby. But at the end of the day Barker are the 2010 CAS champions and hats off to them, especially considering their performances last year.

woods

Bob McCowan (2)
this group of boys has come through from almost u9's in year 3, and especially since at least u11's where at least 10 or so of the 1's and 2's this year first played together, a cohesive bunch if you've ever seen one

also agree that yes, late hits on the twins weren't uncommon, nor is it a new tactic, but when a referee and 2 seemingly blind at some stages touch judges fail to see it the boys do get pissed off and take matters into their own hands

with regards to stands comment, if your referring to the trinity match remember that it was the winger who kicked a barker player in the face to start that...

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
this group of boys has come through from almost u9's in year 3, and especially since at least u11's where at least 10 or so of the 1's and 2's this year first played together, a cohesive bunch if you've ever seen one

also agree that yes, late hits on the twins weren't uncommon, nor is it a new tactic, but when a referee and 2 seemingly blind at some stages touch judges fail to see it the boys do get pissed off and take matters into their own hands

with regards to stands comment, if your referring to the trinity match remember that it was the winger who kicked a barker player in the face to start that...

if u remember, the penalty to win barker the game was for a late tackle on steve hayter. no matter what happens, u rnt supposed to take the laws into ur hands. that isnt the players jobs. its to play the game to the laws.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
When you lads have untangled your handbags I'd like to hear predictions for this weeks games. Could be day for the underdogs. Barker against a full strength Waverley will be a terrific game. Fay vs. Deb? And Alos to beat Knox.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
I am inclined to think it could be a day for the underdogs. All games should be good anyway.

With Barker it will be to see if the game against Knox has taken a bit out too much of them and whether the fact that they have the competition won will impact adversely. It is at Barker though, where they do seem to lift and also Waverley can travel a little poorlyat times (like a Vintage Cellar Yarra Pinot Noir)

Knox seems to struggle against Aloys at Willoughby recently. In terms of resultwise it has been a long season for them and sometimes they don't seem to develop that well during the season. And they will probably be on a downer having to wait untill the soccer finishes before they start. I am all for tradition, but that is one that is particularly galling.

Cranbrook vs Trinity. Should be a fast open game - though it may depend on what Trinity team turns up. Potentially the "best" viewing game of the round. But don't quote me.

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
Barker 42 Waves 19. No contest, Waves 2 red cards and a yellow, very poor discipline. Barker played smart, disciplined footy, outmuscled the bigger Waves pack and tackled like demons in the backs. Well done Barker, undefeated premiers 2010.

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
Barker 42 Waves 19. No contest, Waves 2 red cards and a yellow, very poor discipline. Barker played smart, disciplined footy, outmuscled the bigger Waves pack and tackled like demons in the backs. Well done Barker, undefeated premiers 2010.

who was sent off

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
who was sent off

Not going there as the games was played in the right spirit for most of the game. Waves lost the plot late in the second half and their frustration showed as their big forwards were simply outplayed by the smaller Barker boys who played their hearts out.

Status
Not open for further replies.