• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
Seeing that GPS have a forum thought it would be a good idea to start a CAS one. You would have to say Knox is the clear favourite, with Trinity and Waverley the only two to challenge. I've heard Barker will be quite weak compared to previous years.

Oldpig

Stan Wickham (3)
Well that's it then, no need to continue with this thread. Considering Barker were undefeated in 2010 and have lost some very good players this yr they probably will struggle, but Knox, Waverly & Trinity are in the same boat so I think its a little premature to be calling it already. Its a shame we can't have both the GPS & CAS camps unite for a truly great competition. Would make for some of the best school boys rugby anywhere if this was to happen. Before anyone hits back i know this has been discussed many times and there are mixed opinions on this idea but let an old man stand on his soap box for a few minutes.
Let the battles begin.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Trinity will have a massive pack in 2011 with quite a few very good rep players.... matter of whether their backs perform equally as well.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
I think the competition will be fairly even this year and the end result may be dependent on injuries, form, coaching and selection. Last year saw Barker come though on the back of a very good U16's from a few years back. But with kids growing, developing and leaving it can be quite hard to predict on a year-by-year basis. A few years growth can make a lot of difference in a gun U16 to a plodding Open player. Such is the joy of school boy Rugby - especially if it is played in the right spirit and the intent is to play to win, not not to lose.

I believe the 1sts of Knox this year will be almost their whole 2nds from last year. Who based on an insider's opinion was better than the firsts and actually beat them in internal trials. But the 1sts in general stayed the 1sts and likewise for the seconds.

Though I hope injuries don't cruel the season for any of the lads from any of the sides. It would be good to see some of the players with reputations (eg Cameron Clark) shine this year.

W

waves

Ill guarentee that CAS will be a 3 horse race out of Waverley , Knox , Trinity .

Mainly Knox and Waverley , Trinity again have a good team on paper with a few good individuals but they dont have a winning culture at all in Rugby anyways. E.g last year they had a good side on paper with many returning players they came 3rd or 2nd last or whatever real disappointing. Waverley and Knox just have an edge over Trinity on that winning culture Both sides always have good forward packs I know Waverley still have Chris Talaki and Charles Ingram-Melsom with the addition of QLD Nick Rogers at 8 should look good. Knox have the likes of Cameron Clarke and a very under-rated pack so should be interesting.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Trinity have a good 5/8, so if they can use their forwards (ie a tight kicking game) they may achieve. (Though with some sides, there are players who can do damage returning poor kicking!). Though they have been underachievers of recent times, they have started to ramp up their Rugby recently. So they could come on. Though I think depth will be the key to the season for all sides.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Trinity have a good 5/8, so if they can use their forwards (ie a tight kicking game) they may achieve. (Though with some sides, there are players who can do damage returning poor kicking!). Though they have been underachievers of recent times, they have started to ramp up their Rugby recently. So they could come on. Though I think depth will be the key to the season for all sides.

There is no doubt that depth is absolutely necessary, especially with the 10 Round CAS format.
As an aside one source has indicated to me that Knox are to enter the Waratah Shield this year- not sure if this is a 1st for them or not. Will endeavour to confirm this in next couple of weeks.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
As an aside one source has indicated to me that Knox are to enter the Waratah Shield this year- not sure if this is a 1st for them or not. Will endeavour to confirm this in next couple of weeks.

The powers that be must consider that they have a good side to enter that...it is not in the tradition up there to enter something in which they consider their chances to minor.

Though the season is rather small, so the more games the merrier!

T

T.Rugby

There is no doubt that depth is absolutely necessary, especially with the 10 Round CAS format.

From what I heard it is to do with duchesne not being able to play in the CAS due to him turning 19 this year. I'm not sure what positives will come out of it though. does anyone know when the games are played? and where they would be played?

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
i think they are played on wednesdays at either their school or whoever they are playing i think its like the fa cup in football if that makes sense

B

baldingwingforward

From what I heard it is to do with duchesne not being able to play in the CAS due to him turning 19 this year. I'm not sure what positives will come out of it though. does anyone know when the games are played? and where they would be played?

Makes no difference what comp he wants to play in... If it is a schoolboy/U18 comp he will still be too old, i.e. too old for the Waratah Shield. Duchesne can play Colts or Grade. Nothing else. Its not a CAS rule its an ARU rule so that there are no complications with the 2 year age ruling window.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
i think they are played on wednesdays at either their school or whoever they are playing i think its like the fa cup in football if that makes sense
It is a knockout, and is played at a time suitable to the Schools playing, quite often is played at 1/2 way between schools if distance is a factor. Final is in September, so kicks in towards the end of the School comps.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Makes no difference what comp he wants to play in... If it is a schoolboy/U18 comp he will still be too old, i.e. too old for the Waratah Shield. Duchesne can play Colts or Grade. Nothing else. Its not a CAS rule its an ARU rule so that there are no complications with the 2 year age ruling window.

How long has this been a rule?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes it's real. Ben Volavola wasn't eligible to play rugby last year despite still being in year 12. He played 1st/2nd Grade for West Harbour during the year.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)

While up at KGI yesterday for Junior Tahs vs Brumbie Runners I confirmed with Knox people that:
1. Yes- they have entered Waratah Shield
2. They have pre-season games against both Newington & Joeys.
3. Annual GPS vs CAS game will once again be on Knox 1

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
While up at KGI yesterday for Junior Tahs vs Brumbie Runners I confirmed with Knox people that:
1. Yes- they have entered Waratah Shield
2. They have pre-season games against both Newington & Joeys.
3. Annual GPS vs CAS game will once again be on Knox 1

yes knox have quite a few pre-season games.

Monday 21 March:
15As v Collingwood School, Vancouver 2nd XV
Year 11 v Collingwood School, Vancouver 1st XV

Tuesday 5 April:
1st XV v Southport

Queensland tour 9-16 April

Tuesday 26 April:
1sts, 2nds, 16As, 15As, 14As and 13As v Newington

Monday 2 May:
1sts and 2nds v Joeys

T

the beast

I have recently seen Waverley training and other than about 4 players, the rest of the players are of average size, so their forward pack won't be huge. Also it looks like they may struggle in the backs. They have a new coach, Mr McBride, does anyone know of his coaching experience? Looks like the title might be between 3, Barker, Knox and Trinity.

R

relborG

Waves will still be good in the forwards:
1. Nolan
3. Talakai
4. Harris
5. Ingram-Melsom
6. Spurr
7. Kitto
8. Stevens/Rogers??

N

ned

Waves will still be good in the forwards:
1. Nolan
3. Talakai
4. Harris
5. Ingram-Melsom
6. Spurr
7. Kitto
8. Stevens/Rogers??

there are no workers they're all ball players who stand out in the backs. With no centres it will be hard to see them scoring many tries unless Olly Nicholson and Will Paterson play huge games. BUT THEY STILL NEED THE BALL!!!

R

relborG

True that to an extent. I'm really liking the Trinity team atm:
1. Crook
3. Morsello
4. Mae
5. Orr
6. Hazell
7. Hurst
8. Sio
9. Jones
10. Debreczini