• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
game on ... Knox versus Waverley at death valley, next Saturday ... will be huge

and looks like it will be a dry track ... perfect for Mohi and Waverley's freewheeling style of play

... in the nursery ... great result to Barker in 16As... unless I am mistaken Knox and Waverley have now both had 2 losses ... and really seems to be pretty even comp.

Even formerly easy beats ... Cranbrook is strengthening ...

it bodes well for 2017 and 2018

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Knox v Waverley should be an excellent match-up.

On paper Knox has the edge, with 1 Australian schoolboy (Armstrong), 1 BaaBaa (Frost) and 5 NSW schoolboys, as opposed to Waverley's 1 BaaBaa (Jordan) and 2 NSW players

However Waverley's O'Sullivan was a shadow NSW player, and Moretti is an under 16s NSW player.

So lets say 5 NSW players verse 3 NSW players.

Yes Knox has the tall timber, and yes no one can do a rolling maul like them ... even Joeys struggled to counter that. Knox has the professional (former Scottish and Waratah coach) and the resources (Waverley has been without a gym all year)

However why Waverley can win:

1. waverley have a cagey coach Cornish ... in recent games .. against Scots Cornish rested the likes of Fuller and Mohi, continuing to strengthen the likes of young centre Hardaker

2. Mohi is a prolific try scorer ... and how he didn't at least make BaaBaas is beyond me

3. Fuller was arguably unlucky not to make Aussie schools league team ... and is just one of the cogs in a backline that has a lot of points in them

4. O'Sullivan ... Waverley breakaway ... irish catholics who hung onto the O' in their names, hold it as a badge of honour ... for not giving-in to the English attempts to anglicise names ... from what I have seen the irish catholic spirit beats in that kid's chest

5. Tyzac Jordan ... speed agility, the most razzle dazzle half back at the State Champs IMHO

6. Moretti ... this kid has only just turned 16, and his athleticism is awesome, and he is now well and truly settled into the 1sts (filling big shoes of Clifton)

7. Waverley has home ground advantage ... with Year 10 on supporters duty ... it is going to be noisy ... Knox will cop an ear-full

a lot could hinge on who officiates this game, however I think it is going to be a titanic battle

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Up Frost. Heard he destroyed Barker and will be interesting to see how he performs against the big Waverly boys

Whoever reported that to you must have been at a different game. All I saw was the big fella being contained very nicely and on the one occasion he made a break for the line with the ball, the tackle he received was one of the hardest and cleanest I have seen all season, resulting in tall timber hitting the ground with considerable G force. Ouch. Given the size of the Knox pack I expected them to push the red scrum all over the paddock but that did not happen. The scrummaging was quite even.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Funny what a difference perspective makes.

Knox dozed/slept its way through the first half and won through capitalising on Barker errors during the second half. Knox cant afford to doze off against W next Saturday. Odds on W to win..... the struggle will be biblical.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Knox v Waverley should be an excellent match-up.

etc etc
SDW, I agree with all of your points re the Knox vs Waverley games this weekend.
I have moved between many schools games and think your point 6 is particularly valid. I have had the pleasure of seeing many good back rowers over the years, but this fellow, Moretti, tops them off. Apparently just turned 16, was in the 16,s until dragged up into the 1sts due to injury.Now he absolutely dominates,he has ALL the skills and is a hit man, here is where his league background has extereme bite!
I firmly believe that there will he black and blue tears this sat as the custard pie is sung.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^
Have heard the same about him from elsewhere.

Incidentally, there are a couple of photos of him in the CAS blog from the weekend here:

Usually there a few people who deplore such mention of a young person because it puts too much pressure on them.

It's a fine call but it sounds like this youngster can handle everything thrown at him.

Let's hope we can get him to stay in our game.

White line fever

"The custard pie is sung" ??? - please explain.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
That's right Rugby King. In fact the pies were made by Midge Hayes. Midge and her husband, Tom, ran the pavilion there for many years and their names now appear on the building. The victory song states "she likes custard pie but I don't care for custard pie" etc. This was true that the players didn't feel like a custard pie after a footy match but no-one had the heart to tell her.
Just another funny situation that often makes up war cries/victory songs etc.

P.S. I certainly wasn't meaning to put any pressure on Luca Moretti, it was just an observation. He will continue to simply do his best, I am sure.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
"Any word on if Dainton will be playing this weekend?"

I'd be very surprised. He shouldn't have played last week - he was plainly carrying an injury and made no impact before walking off using his jumper as a sling - which suggests a shoulder problem or something like it. It's one thing carrying a niggle into a game, and another to try to play with an injury that incapacitates you.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
"Any word on if Dainton will be playing this weekend?"

I'd be very surprised. He shouldn't have played last week - he was plainly carrying an injury and made no impact before walking off using his jumper as a sling - which suggests a shoulder problem or something like it. It's one thing carrying a niggle into a game, and another to try to play with an injury that incapacitates you.

That's such a shame. He is a quality player and will hopefully stay in the game over the next few years.

Backsaresmarter

Frank Row (1)
Waverley Vs Knox
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.