• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2024

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
I cannot understand how a defending team scrum going backwards on rollerscates receive 2 penalties. Barker hard done by. But the Nudgee backs were slick. 2 quick taps lead to decisive tries.
Rod,

Sad to see Ned Slack Smith still having issues with concussion. I wonder if it goes back to when Barker played him the week after getting a blue card? Hopefully no long term issues.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Just watching a replay of the Barker Nudgee game. The Nudgee pack is bigger but this did not lead to set piece dominance. The Butcher stripes line out was rusty and the scrum was regularly under pressure. What helped Nudgee was the soft but legitimate penalties Barker gave away. The Nudgee back line especially from the centres out were slicker and more penetrating than Barkers. Barker crossed the line just on HT but the ref did not award a try. Must have been a small knock on or forward pass that was not evident in the video. I recognised the majority of the Reds forward pack from last year so there is not many new kids in this team. Last years 1st XV was very young. I liked what I saw from the Reds. Nudgee is a scholarship team and have the best rugby program in Qld. The scoreline of 29/19 did not reflect the closeness of the game but Nudgee deserved to win. Just.

I would say that Barker have had a successful tour and look to have some depth this year with the 2nds going well in there games on tour and also with how they went at Joeys. Riverview next weekend will be a good test to see how they’re shaping up before the have a very soft series a trials ahead of the CAS season.