• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS U16s 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Understand from a financial point of view, and aside from this player, very unfortunate that Knox do this type of thing, pity the knox boys who have been there for a long time and now miss out!

Unless there is more to it!

B

Backline_Move

Appreciate there may be some bite back from this.

But Knox has every right to offer scholarships to whoever they please.

Especially a player as talented as Towns that would likely be wasted at Waverley Rugby.

Knox has done Towns a favour and saves his family a lot of cash by providing him with the scholarship.

He will be a very handy 12 for Knox firsts next year.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
^^^^

Do not feed the trolls Waverley supporters.

Towns is always going to be a big loss, but lots of Waverley people just wish him all the best wherever he goes.

B

Backline_Move

^^^^

Do not feed the trolls Waverley supporters.

Towns is always going to be a big loss, but lots of Waverley people just wish him all the best wherever he goes.

A big loss is an understatement. He will be part of a dominant backline with Woodcock inside him and Cameron outside him.

Good luck stopping the Knox backline next year.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
BM,

You are 100% correct, you badly needed some Waverley expertise and ticker to help the knox team.

As William88 rightly points out, good luck to the boy and his family.

Good luck to both teams!

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
wow .. Max Towns going to Knox .... my first thought was, that has got to be BS

however Knox has the indigenous scholarships, so I guess it makes sense

and congratulations to him .... his athleticism and rugby potential certainly makes him a worthy recipient

I don't know that it will make a huge difference to Waverley's hopes in 2017
as I think there are enough good backs, that he was not a sure thing for making the Ones .... IMHO

oh well, it will be interesting to see when he faces off against former team mates, who know his strengths and weaknesses well

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
I don't think anyone should assume that Towns will be walking into the IC slot or even starting in Knox 1sts 2017. This year's IC will be backing up as will a couple of handy wingers. Max is a good player, but so are the others, and he will need to earn his spot against some yr 12 boys. Best of luck to him and if it keeps everyone on their toes and competing hard for positions, all the better for Knox rugby.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
wow .. Max Towns going to Knox .. my first thought was, that has got to be BS

however Knox has the indigenous scholarships, so I guess it makes sense

and congratulations to him .. his athleticism and rugby potential certainly makes him a worthy recipient

I don't know that it will make a huge difference to Waverley's hopes in 2017
as I think there are enough good backs, that he was not a sure thing for making the Ones .. IMHO

oh well, it will be interesting to see when he faces off against former team mates, who know his strengths and weaknesses well

Talented boy ,good luck to max he will be sorely missed at Waverley , I to thought it was BS . I'm sure he will be a standout next year wherever he is.

Are u sure he is going to Knox ?

I'm sure several GPS schools would love a boy of his talent and ability.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
GPS schools don't offer sporting scholarships, it's against the association's Code of Conduct.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
GPS schools don't offer sporting scholarships, it's against its Code of Conduct.

Yes its remarkable how many talented "musicians" magically appear in a few GPS schools in year 11 and 12 who have played representative Rugby via Club and School pathways......:rolleyes:

You would have to wonder how the boys (or parents) who have been in a school since year 7 feel about this when talented "musicians" arrive.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Ha Ha AS,

It would be funny, if not true!

The silly thing is that everyone knows it wasn't a home grown victory, if they win. So pointless!

Some CAS schools do it too, which must mean that between the GPS and CAS, these relatively few schools, have produced many many fine orchestras!

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The silly thing is that everyone knows it wasn't a home grown victory, if they win. So pointless!

I don't think the old boys or "friends" of the school, Leagues Clubs or whoever is funding a bursary, really give a rats about home grown or not in the pursuit of the School Challenge Trophy in GPS land or Henry Plume Shield in CAS land.

Check out the "depth" of Rugby and results in a few of the more recently successful GPS schools. Their remarkable strength in A comp teams has a habit of tapering off awfully quickly if your replace A with B or C and below as a grade. (if they have those teams....)

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
AS,

I completely agree with you but the reality is that most balanced people can see it is all just BS.
Especially if a boy missed out after 6-8 years at a school!

The worst case is when a boy moves from 1 good school to another.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
The "free education" siren song can be hard to resist. Unfortunately, as our parents frequently pointed out, there is no such thing as a free lunch and both the new and existing diners can end up short changed when the former are expected to perform like professionals and the latter are overlooked after 4 years of playing 'A's with their mates.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Yep agree CNP,

Especially when recruited in year 7, so it can be sold that the boy was there the whole time. Only to find out later that when pubity hits all the other boys, our hero is no longer!

Tahs247

Allen Oxlade (6)
Please, Scots and Newington have been buying players for years.

I know for a fact that Trinity have kids on financial help for athletics and swimming hence their dominance in both events of late.

In my opinion the school is entitled to whoever they like. Why can a music scholarship or academic be given but sporting can't?

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
^^^WLF, I have much less of an issue with recruitment in yr 7, as typically this is a genuine attempt to bring a lad/family in who would otherwise not be in a position to fund the fees for a genuine all round education over 5-6 years. At this point, their rugby could go either way in the following 6 yrs, so it's more of a punt on the future and in any event won't involve displacing a boy who has been playing in the As for x years with his mates.

IMHO this is quite different from bringing in a known quantity rep player at 16 with the very clear expectation that he will be parachuted into the 1st XV to help win the title or at least bolster the squad.

I acknowledge that no-one has a lock on a position in any team, but the latter situation is much more likely to cause resentment amongst the incumbent boys and parents and to alienate the incoming boy who no doubt wants to feel welcomed into and comfortable in the new environment. It can also cause a lot of stress if the new lad is injured or worse, fails to live up to sometimes unrealistic expectations. No free lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.