• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Central Coast Rugby Union 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Seems to be a few more OCasties around here nowadays so maybe we can discuss rugby in the land of the Seahawks.

From: http://centralcoastsports.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=35&Itemid=195

CENTRAL COAST RUGBY UNION (SATURDAY, 2nd APRIL, 2011)
RESULTS ROUND 1

FIRST GRADE
Kariong 14
Shannon Beavan, Unuoi Vaenuku tries;
Scott Handley 2 conversions
defeated
Terrigal 12
David Crawford, Tim Woods tries;
Damien Woods 1 conversion

Gosford 29
Chris Heap 2, Tim Hill, Andrew Ryan, Matt Donnelly tries;
Tim Hill 2 conversions
defeated
Northlakes 7
Sifa Fotu try;
Logan Hemopo 1 conversion

Avoca Beach 35
Matt Maloney 3, Chad Martin, Justin Staben, Adam Winter tries;
Matt Maloney 1 conversion, 1 penalty goal
defeated
Woy Woy 10
Dom Malo try;
Andrew McNamara 1 conversion, 1 penalty goal

The Entrance 15
Clint Guyatt, Matt Evrard tries;
Adam Williams 1 conversion, 1 field goal
drew with
Warnervale 15
Luther Dyson, Ethan Sant tries;
Jarryd Lees 1 penalty goal, 1 conversion

FIRST GRADE POINTS TABLE
Avoca Beach 5
Gosford 5
Kariong 4
The Entrance 2
Warnervale 2
Terrigal 1
Northlakes 0
Woy Woy 0
Ourimbah 0

I was hoping the Rams would continue their improvement from last year but it does not look likely at this stage. Hopefully they don't slip to the 2009 standards (though a high injury toll and coach and player walkouts that year didn't help).

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
That is a big win, especially considering it is the derby game as they are usually close. Avoca looking good early in the year to make it 7 in a row.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
From: http://centralcoastsports.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=35&Itemid=195

CENTRAL COAST RUGBY UNION (Sat 9th APRIL, 2011)
RESULTS ROUND 2

FIRST GRADE
Avoca Beach 43
Lenny Beckett 3, Matt Maloney 2, Josh Davies tries;
Matt Maloney 2 conversions, 3 penalty goals
defeated
Terrigal 8
Jonathon Small try;
Stephen Bright 1 penalty goal

Ourimbah 35
Brett Cunningham 3, Jordan Deaves, Anthony Erickson tries;
Anthony Erickson 2 conversions, 2 pen. goals
defeated
Kariong 24
Derek Peachey, Unuoi Vaenuku, Mitchell Clay tries;
Scott Hanley 3 conversions, 1 penalty goal

Woy Woy 41
Paul Gooley 2, Dave Gooley, Edmund Malo, Dave Best tries;
Andrew McNamara 5 conversions, 2 pen. goals
defeated
The Entrance 7
Ben Harrison try;
Adam Williams 1 conversion

Gosford 35
Adam Clift 2, Simote Lauti, Jack Mann, Matt Donnelly tries;
Tim Hill 5 conversions
defeated
Warnervale 12
Brennan Wanstall 2 tries;
Jared Lees 1 conversion

FIRST GRADE POINTS TABLE
Avoca Beach 10
Gosford 10
Woy Woy 5
Ourimbah 5
Kariong 4
The Entrance 2
Warnervale 2
Terrigal 1
Northlakes 0

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
A huge upset with Ourimbah knocking over Kariong on the weekend. Interesting results for Warnervale this year so far - a draw with the Rams in round one and restricting Gosford to less than 50 in round two (for those who may be perusing the thread not from the Coast there is a clear divide in terms of playing quality with 4 clubs dominating year in year out in Avoca, Kariong, Gosford and Terrigal. It is not unusual to see these teams put on over 90 points against the likes of cellar dwellars The Entrance and Warnervale) so hopefully it means they are becoming more competitive.

Gooch

Fred Wood (13)
Wow, Ourimbah beating Kariong. They have been getting stronger the last few years. Big game this week, Gosford vs Avoca at Gosford. Should be a good one.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Avoca by 20. Can't see Gosford getting close. Ourimbah have been building nicely the past couple of years (think they made the semis last year) but I think they are one or two class players short of being a genuine title threat. Woy Woy are the team that I think needs watching (not just because they beat the Rams easily over the weekend) as they have a good team and from all reports Ross Hopkins is a good coach.

Gooch

Fred Wood (13)
Yeah, the first half of Woy Woy vs Avoca was a very tight affair. Only 13-10 at half time I think. Woy Woy were very physical and just seemed a little less fit than Avoca in the back end of the second half. I think Gosford vs Avoca will be a close one, always is.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Gosford don't look very strong this year as they normally do going by results so far (only early I admit). When I read that Carlisle was captain / coaching I scratched my head as I thought only my club was silly enough to still do that as it went by the wayside 20 years ago, Derwin was the last coach on the coast who got away with it.

T

The Gunsmith

G'day all...am looking at a move from Sydney to the central coast.
Any recommendations or background on clubs to play for?

Gooch

Fred Wood (13)
Hey Gunsmith, depends on what you are after. There are usually 3 clubs in most final series - Avoca, Terrigal and Gosford - with another club having a good season - Karoing, Ourimbah - lately. Avoca has won the last 6 seasons, but I feel the comp is getting stronger, with Woy Woy playing well and Ourimbah coming on.

Avoca and Terrigal are seaside clubs, with a rivalry much like NSW v QLD. Warnervale have had a strong juniors club for many years, hopefully this will move to their seniors soon.

Most clubs have 3 grades, with what I reckon is a fairly big difference between 3rds and the other 2. The sense of community between clubs is great, drinks and speeches after the game etc.

T

The Gunsmith

Thanks for the info Gooch...will have to come down and watch a few games.

I have no doubt the social side would be without equal.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
What would people of the Central Coast say to a theoretical Sydney 1st Grade and 1st Grade Colts side, similar to Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast?

Just out of interest.

T

The Gunsmith

Could work...but would be better if they could field more that 2 teams. Otherwise just like the Newcastle team included a few years ago.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Could work...but would be better if they could field more that 2 teams. Otherwise just like the Newcastle team included a few years ago.

Yeah but 1 is a representative team format and the other would decimate the local club scene. I think you need to try to develop players without damaging the local scene.

T

The Gunsmith

Yeah but 1 is a representative team format and the other would decimate the local club scene. I think you need to try to develop players without damaging the local scene.

Probably a good inclusion in a National Competition format.

Top 2 teams from NSW
Top 2 Teams from QLD
One NSW Country Team
One Qld Country Team

To be play at the conclusion of the Shute Shield comp...not like the ARC from a few years ago but using current teams in each of the areas.

Gooch

Fred Wood (13)
Aussie D - not sure how the captain/coach thing will work out for Carlisle, but he has convinced his old mate Pete Miller to hang around. Instead of going back to Japan, Pete is playing the season for the Devils. Very handy player, I know he ran around me more than once as a junior.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
G'day all...am looking at a move from Sydney to the central coast.
Any recommendations or background on clubs to play for?

Whatever club is the nearest club would be the best one to play for. As Gooch said there are some really strong clubs and some struggling clubs. If you live around The Entrance (my former club I will admit) for example then I know they would love to have more players to help strengthen them and give them some options and depth.

As for more in-depth background:
Avoca - best junior development model of all clubs on the Coast judging by results and player techniques. Junior club of Matt H the Force / Wallabies openside. Senior level is always strong thanks to their junior base and links with the local surf club. Lenny Beckett (ex-Sydney Uni, Brumby and Penrith League) plays for them.
Terrigal - solid club that will make the finals most years though haven't won a title in 15 years. Hated by every other club. Former club of ex-Wallaby Grahame Bond.
Gosford - the Red Menace are a good club, as Gooch said have Pete Miller (former Eastwood / Oz 7s) playing for them this year. Will be in the top 4 most years.
Woy Woy - Always strong in the forwards but mostly a mid-table club. Have ex-Gordon coach Ross Hopkins in charge this year. Have a lot of islanders playing for them (which I always liked as a player as the islanders were good guys to hang around and loved their rugby).
Kariong - second best club on the coast for about 5 years now. Strong in the forwards, improving in the backs. Joe Philippe (ex-Sydney Uni, Junior Tah) played(s?) for them.
Ourimbah - A rising force in Central Coast rugby. Strong junior set-up backed by the local uni campus. Adam Ashley-Cooper was a junior player for them.
Warnervale - In 10 years time will be a premiership contender if they keep hold of their juniors. Excellent junior development structure. Former Springbok Uli Schmidt was a scrum coach a few years ago, not sure if he is still involved or not.
Northlakes - Kiwi / Islander club. Mid-table most years and the guys there love their rugby. The biggest hurdle is only a handful of people do all the off-field work and player commitment is questionable towards the end of the season if they aren't winning (an example is in the final round two seasons ago only a handful of players turned up and they had to play all 3 grades).
The Entrance - Perennial strugglers. Besides a strong team from 99-03 they have been at the bottom of the ladder for the past 20 years despite the best efforts of a hard-working committee. Struggle with player recruitment, retention and development - in all the years I spent there they played too much touch at training and not enough time on technique (that has changed in the past 2 years from all reports I have heard).

Hope that gives a little bit more info and background.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
What would people of the Central Coast say to a theoretical Sydney 1st Grade and 1st Grade Colts side, similar to Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast?

Just out of interest.

"No f^%$ing way until all clubs can consistently field teams in all three grades and 13-19s" is how I would approach it. The Central Coast is rugby league heartland which I am reminded of on a daily basis therefore sponsorship money is hard to come by, especially with the Mariners being so successful. Supposedly there are 2 development officers servicing the Central Coast and Newcastle / Hunter areas. Of all the clubs spoken to on the coast none have seen them in years so if the Coast were to get a SS team then the NSWRU would need to put a lot of work in preparing the area for 5 years prior to admittance.

Status
Not open for further replies.