• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Chabal to play Subbies Rugby in Australia !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Would be absolutely perfect for the Tahs who have no marquee (Pretorious uncapped)?? - could cover injury magnets Palu and Elsom as well as making an awesome team with Vicks

MAKE IT SO

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I think both of those, but the Anesi thing was that he was a 1 cap All Black...?

OK, I'm hopefull

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I believe the rules are Marquee- someone who can't play for Aus.

There is a lower level, which is a youngling going through the process to be able to play for Aus

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
The T20 Big Bash League this year turned state cricket into the biggest thing on TV (pay TV at least), with marquee overseas and star retired Australian players.

Is there wisdom in just opening the floodgates to overseas marquee players to give Super Rugby a bit of a jolt - and perhaps turn it into the biggest rugby comp in the world?

I understand the fear that young local players will miss out on chances - but those who are good enough will get early experience against some top internationals, which could only be good for the Wallabies down the track. (see also the recent discussion about Dan Parks).

P

philsale

What is the deal with Melbourne's special dispensation for marquee players? How many are they allowed, and how long does this last? Is that why Delve looks to be be headed to France at the end of the year?

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
What is the deal with Melbourne's special dispensation for marquee players? How many are they allowed, and how long does this last? Is that why Delve looks to be be headed to France at the end of the year?

We were allowed ten international spots instead of the regular two, with that number decreasing by two each year. Any international representative player is restricted to a two-year contract only.

There's a window for exceptions to that rule, but in general that's the story. We currently have seven internationals, four of which (Delve, Byrnes, Lipman, Cipriani) are representatives.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Jeez I hope this is true. I have been calling for Chabal for years, he is the very definition of 'marquee player'. He ticks every box- great hardman on the field (and fuck we need a few of them), and marketable image off the field. Comes across as a bit of a prickly personality, but that just adds to it all.

I hope the ARU lifts the marquee restrictions and lets him go to the highest bidder. It will result in a 1K bump in crowd average wherever he goes.

P

philsale

So theoretically, we could house the caveman at AAMI if Delve and another are leaving. Any thoughts as to whether or not Cipriani will re-sign?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The replies to the article seem to think it's the Rabbitohs. Don't get why the NRL would pay top dollar for a French union player who is rather old - makes no sense. Especially as surely the Rabbitohs are near the cap with the amount of stars they have anyway.

Is Chabal coming for the 2012 season? If so, then the Brumbies or Rebels make the most sense, especially as both have their marquee spots available. If he's coming for the 2013 season, then perhaps add the Force into the mix if Nalaga is on a one year contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.