• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Chabal to play Subbies Rugby in Australia !

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

philsale

And as much as I hate to interpret vague tweets in another language, is that meaning "Reds (Koalas) or Rugby League (Kangaroos)"? Or maybe there isn't a french word for Wallabies...

That is how I took it, but out of the Australian conference, surely the reds are the ones who least require his particular services?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Can I be the conundrum and wonder why a side would spend a load of money on this guy?

He hasn't played well for quite a while

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There is a strong rumour that he is actually going to play in the NRL.

When I told my wife that there was a rumour that Chabal will play for the Brumbies, she was mightily disgruntled. "Aren't there any good young Australian players?" she demanded.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I would be very surprised if he goes to league. He has no recognition amongst league fans, so surely no club would spend big $$ on him. The announcement of his signing would result in a big 'who?' from Leaguies. Would be a great buy though.

Surely every Super team has filled its roster of 35 by now. Has every club got a foreign marquee? Don't think the Reds do, or the Brumbies for that matter.

P

philsale

"Niether one nor the other - Rebels!"

Cool!!!! When?
Sorry suckerforred - that was my reply to Chabal when I saw his tweet during the night... No further tweets from him since the koalas/kangaroos - I wait with bated breath.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I don't see how he'd fit with the Reds? Granted Samo and Van are on their last legs, but he'd want a starting spot if he came to Australian Union surely? I just can't see Link having the space this season with Samo, Higgers, Shatz, Quirk(?) all seemingly able to play as 6/8.

More importantly, he'd want the big bucks for coming out here, from a Reds perspective, wouldn't that money be better spent at keeping the nucleus of the team together than a veteran?

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sorry suckerforred - that was my reply to Chabal when I saw his tweet during the night... No further tweets from him since the koalas/kangaroos - I wait with bated breath.
Buuger. Should have read that a bit better. Rebs would be the only ones that I could see him fitting into, and I would guess not until Delve leaves. Unless a Shute Shield team has splashed out? ;)

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Given that Rebels marquee imports are restricted to two year contracts, doesn't that mean that all the marquee players will finish up this year and that the Rebels will need a new batch (four less if I understand it right) next year?? We know Delve is going and the others have to go too, so why isn't Chabal a shoo-in for one of the upcoming vacant spots next year?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He's no where near the player he used to be, I doubt he'd be the best 8 at any franchise. Might not be worth it.

Only fit would be the Rebels surely? Less marquee restrictions, smallest backrow depth, marketing potential...

Status
Not open for further replies.