• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Chabal to play Subbies Rugby in Australia !

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Army_Gav

We were allowed ten international spots instead of the regular two, with that number decreasing by two each year. Any international representative player is restricted to a two-year contract only.

There's a window for exceptions to that rule, but in general that's the story. We currently have seven internationals, four of which (Delve, Byrnes, Lipman, Cipriani) are representatives.
Ged Robinson is one such exception, he's there in 2013.

I think Byrnes has received dispensation from the ARU re Russia.

Chabal is a poor fit for us, for various reasons. Probably good for the Brumbs.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
He has looked well past his sell by date this year but it could also be the sulks. He hasn't been happy at Racing for some time.

He will be a good lock forward option for a Super Team if he gets re energised by the move. Rebels can sure do with some mongrel and this bloke has it.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Only fit would be the Rebels surely? Less marquee restrictions, smallest backrow depth...

If the Rebels had one bright spot last year I thought it was their backrow, Lipman, Saffy and Delve were serviceably respectable. Depth?, can't comment, but with Delve off to Frogland there's a spot for Chabal. Has he played much decent rugby at 8?

Chabal will/would find the pace and athleticism of Super Rugby a challenge, there aren't too many games played on muddy, or even heavy, pitches. I could see him in a super-sub role for the Rebels as cover for 4/5/6/8. Let's hope the change of scenery gives him a new lease of life and drags a few more punters through the gates in Melbourne.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
If the Rebels had one bright spot last year I thought it was their backrow, Lipman, Saffy and Delve were serviceably respectable. Depth?, can't comment, but with Delve off to Frogland there's a spot for Chabal. Has he played much decent rugby at 8?

Chabal will/would find the pace and athleticism of Super Rugby a challenge, there aren't too many games played on muddy, or even heavy, pitches. I could see him in a super-sub role for the Rebels as cover for 4/5/6/8. Let's hope the change of scenery gives him a new lease of life and drags a few more punters through the gates in Melbourne.

Which is why I suggest he would make a good lock in Super Rugby. Definitely not back row. He has looked off the pace in Top 14 for 2 years now. His preferred position has always been 8 and back in his Sale Sharks days he was dynamic enough to play that role in the NH. Can't see him keeping up in Super Rugby as an 8 but plenty fine as a lock. On par at worst with what the Rebels have there right now, probably better than most of them.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Has he played much decent rugby at 8?
He's started for France as a lock, flanker and 8 about an equal number of times but in in the last couple of years only at 8. I think that's his best position.

I don't know about Sea Bass. He comes with a bit of baggage: leaving his English club because of missing home and rubbing coaches the wrong way. There's a bit of the aging rock star about him.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I can't find any reference to Sarel having played 7s for the Blitzbokke...

Scrum list his teams as "Cheetahs, Emerging Springboks, Griquas, Royal XV"

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)

Emerging springboks is south africa A isnt it?

Does that rule you out?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

Shit Moses we have been over this about a thousand times. Emerging Springboks is South Africa 'A' which makes him ineligible for Wallaby selection.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Isn't Emerging Springboks the same as Aus A?

The ARU Foreign Player Policy allows a Super Rugby province to contract up to two overseas players: one marquee signing who has already qualified for another nation and a development player who could qualify for Australian selection under the IRB's three-year residency regulation.
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/melbourne-allowed-up-to-10-foreigners-20100104-lps3.html

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Good pickup, I had thought the emerging bok team was an age restricted one, however it is not and would count, provided he played in an IRB approved international tour, against a first or second team opponent.

He played for the Emerging Springboks in 2008, and they competed in the Pacific Nations Cup that year. I'm not sure if they had another tournament.

The Emerging Springboks played three matches in this tournament, in the final against Romania Sarel occupied a bench spot and didn't get on the field.
http://www.irb.com/nationscup/matches/match=10570/index.html

They also played against Georgia and Italy A - I'm looking for team sheets...

A

Army_Gav

Why? You need some aggro in the tight five.

In fact, you need a LOT of aggro in your pack.
We don't have endless amounts of cash for one and we have some decent youth coming through. Tim Davidson can play N8 as well.

The 2 blokes we picked up this year didn't come cheap. They are providing plenty of marketability also.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'm sure the Waratahs have done the legwork here Moses, and in all media reports he has been described as the Foreign Marquee signing. If there was a loophole they would have found it already.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Sarel is mentioned in this match report against Georgia, ergo no Chabal for the Tahs.
http://www.sarugby.net/article.aspx?id=257644

If there was any chance he was coming to the Tahs, d'you not think it would have leaked from half a dozen sources by now? In fact, could any Australian franchise have kept this under wraps? But I can't imagine he'd go league either. Could it just be a beat-up to improve his negotiations in France?

Status
Not open for further replies.