• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cheetahs v Force, Saturday, 2 July, Bloemfontein

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interim Head Coach David Wessels has named his squad to tour the Republic.

But in a cost-cutting exercise players will not forgo their first name. Great to see Lance back.

https://www.westernforce.com.au/article/26-man-western-force-squad-depart-south-africa

Western Force Touring Squad
Ainsley
Alcock
Brache
Coleman
Cottrell
Cowan (c)
D Haylett-Petty (vc)
Faulkner
Godwin
Grant
Hardwick
Lance
Louwrens
Masirewa
Millar
Morahan
Phillips
Prior
R Haylett-Petty
Rangi
Rasolea
Scoble
Stander
Tapuai
Van Wyk
Walton

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
It might be a bit of a cripple fight but the Force have to be a genuine chance this week, the Cheetahs have impressed nobody this year.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Interested in the final selections and how the team performs under Pakahou Cowan.
Both will be an indication who those who show real character, have applied themselves at training over the past month and can rise above the turmoil at the franchise.
Hoping that all 3 Wallabies get a full game.
GO YOU FORCE!

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
1 Pek Cowan (C)

2 Harry Scoble

3 Tetera Faulkner

4 Ross Haylett-Petty

5 Adam Coleman

6 Byrnard Stander

7 Chris Alcock

8 Angus Cottrell

9 Ian Prior

10 Jono Lance

11 Marcel Brache

12 Kyle Godwin

13 Solomoni (Junior) Rasolea

14 Luke Morahan

15 Dane Haylett – Petty

16 Anaru Rangi

17 Francois van Wyk

18 Guy Millar

19 Rory Walton

20 Richard Hardwick

21 Ryan Louwrens

22 Peter Grant

23 Semisi Masirewa

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

G

galumay

It might be a bit of a cripple fight but the Force have to be a genuine chance this week, the Cheetahs have impressed nobody this year.

To be fair, they have impressed more than the Force have! But I do like the 'cripple fight' line!

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
Coleman out. Walton down in the first minute. Good luck Phillips

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

G

galumay

Cheetahs piggy lucky not to be YC for a blatant high tackle. Still a lack of consistency around player safety.

M

Moono75

Force performance clearly being effected by repercussions of the Brexit vote.

M

Moono75

Force denied again by 1 point after doing the hard work to scrape back into the lead in the second half. Grant misses penalty chance for the win....tough from half way. DHP showing his class again and a good game from Alcock...we'll miss him next year. A couple of key errors at the death on attack which could have delivered the win. Promising but need more of a sample to make a call on interim coach Dave Wessels.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I have to say good signs from the Force and a good game to watch. Shame about the result.

Alcock will be a loss, and i hope they can recruit well to cover departures, but here are good signs.

Agree with needing more time to gauge Wessels.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Ah man. What a terrible way to end the game. Not many if any refs would.or called that ball out. It's always a penalty. Unlucky but plenty of good signs and a pretty solid ref performance by the Japanese man. See what happens when a South African doesn't ref a game over there. :)

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The usual Ruck Involvements stats from the Cheetahs game.
Remember:
1. Early means 1st or 2nd of player’s team AFTER the ball carrier has been tackled and brought to ground.
2. Impact means active engagement: strong physical contact, changed shape of ruck, clean-out, protecting ball etc. (more than hand on someone’s bum or arriving after the hard work has been done). Yes it’s subjective - but as I collect all data at least it’s consistent.
3. Impact DOES NOT equate to Effectiveness. I’ve concluded that coming up with an effectiveness measure is just too hard in the time that I have available – but open to suggestions.
attachment.php
Ruck Involvements over time.
attachment.php
Comments:
+ Big effort by Gus Cottrell. We haven't seen this work rate and involvement since Round 1 against the Rebels. He's been averaging 24 Total - 17 Attack/7 Defence. He actually lifted in the 2nd half and nearly matched the fresh bench players in the final 10 minutes. He also made 12 tackles/missed 3. I hope the Force is working hard to keep Cottrell in Perth.
+ Force only had 31% Possession in 1st half so some of our normal contributors were missing during this period. Scoble has been averaging 28 Total Ruck Involvements (TRIs) per game.​
+ We missed Adam Coleman's work rates - He's been averaging 24 TRIs.​
+ Great to see the increased involvement in the 2nd half.​
+ Both Alcock and Stander well below their normal work rates.​
+ Some impressive involvements from the bench players.​
+ Missed Tackles: Team only tackled at 69% with 37 missed tackles.​
Other Aussie teams were generally 84% - 88%.​
Some notable big numbers: Alcock 13 made/5 missed; Scoble 12/5.​
Ross H-P 16/0 missed. Well done big guy!​
Two excellent try-saving tackles by DHP and Prior.​
+ Best Ruck Involvements by Backs:
Brache - 14 Total (10 Attack/4 Defence)​
DHP - 9T (5A/4D)​
Grant - 9T (8A/1D)​
+ Kick on Goal:
Prior 3/4 - 75%. He's kicked 13/15 - 87% for the season to date.​
Grant 2/4 - 50%. He's kicked 18/24 -75% for the season to date.​
Both Lance (10/10) and Tapuai (3/3) are 100%.​
+ Why don't our try scorers take to ball as close to the posts as possible? DHP had plenty of space to do so.​
+ Dane Haylett Petty had 19 carries for 210m, 3 Clean Breaks, 9 Defenders Beaten, 2 Off Loads, 15 Passes, 12 Kicks.​
+ Kyle Godwin played his best game for a long time - 14 carries for 77m, 3 Def Beaten. 9 Tackles​
The 3 tries the Cheetahs scored at 22min, 29 min and 32 min did the damage. 10 minutes!!
Great fight back in 2nd half.

Status
Not open for further replies.