• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Choose 4 clubs would you include in a national comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlUnger

Chris McKivat (8)
Was reading an article on Fox Sports about the repeatedly talked about issue of the third tier. One of the suggestions was picking 4 clubs from Sydney and 4 clubs from Brisbane and then the winners play off.

The question is which existing 4 clubs deserve to get the nod if a national comp ever happened.
You can base it on crowds, homegrounds, sponsors, history, geography etc

Funky

Frank Nicholson (4)
I didn't read the article, but general principal should be the top four clubs each year. ie a bit like the Champions League.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Your 4 clubs should be based of performance, facilities and club finances.
On field performance would have to be the main factor. So top 4 teams in the respective comps.
Facilities would be considered but games could be moved to other venues if required
Finances would have to be in order. There would be no point in having clubs involved if they were to require handouts from the governing bodies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
A 3rd Tier model like this with no mechanism to have players outside of the top 4 clubs in 2 cities is entirely pointless.

Before we discuss a model like this I think we need to question why we want a 3rd tier, if it's for development (which it is) then it's obvious why this is silly.

CarlUnger

Chris McKivat (8)
en_force_er said:
Before we discuss a model like this I think we need to question why we want a 3rd tier, if it's for development (which it is) then it's obvious why this is silly.
The thread isn't about discussing models or the reasons of why we want a third tier etc etc it's not meant to be that heavy, there's already plenty of that discussion on this forum. Simply asking which teams should get selected for a professional comp if it ever came down to it.

Wamberal said:
Balmain, Penrith, Parramatta, and UTS from Sydney.
Big call! UTS in, Sydney University out. That'd stir a few people, I like.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Also would need to look at Canberra - prob 2 clubs - 1. def being Vikings and the 2nd club - either being Wests/Qbn or Royals - would have to see who is the top 2 clubs at the end of the season.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
Didn't the ARU do a review of all Sydney clubs about 5 years ago when they were looking to cut the number of clubs and there were quite a number of KPI that a club was judged on, not just on field results
Things like junior base, match day facilities, marketing, development etc and I think Uni were not in the top 4
Maybe they conduct another one of these based on everything about running a club and the best 4 get the first shot.
I would say clubs in consideration based on a number of KPI would be in no particular order and in my opinion
Manly
Souths
Eastwood
Norths
Uni
Parramatta

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Nth beaches? Or Manly
Sydney uni.
Western Sydney. Or Eastwood
Southern Sydney or Southern Districts
Would love to have named Parra but based it on last years club championships

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The point is, that if four clubs are chosen for an elite competition, all the other clubs will die. All the best players from the other clubs would immediately migrate, and who could blame them.

Is that really in the best interests of the game?

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Split the Shute shield teams into three rep teams northern sub manly warringah and Gordon. Parra penrith west Harbour and Eastwood. Southern uni Easts and rand wick Then have a cockatoo select for country. Same idea with qld and two from Canberra or one and a Vic rep side

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
If you have a national club comp, the clubs involved need to qualify each year otherwise you will kill off all the clubs that are not involved.

So with that in mind I'd have the top 4 clubs from Brisbane and the top 4 from sydney each year.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If you have a national club comp, the clubs involved need to qualify each year otherwise you will kill off all the clubs that are not involved.

So with that in mind I'd have the top 4 clubs from Brisbane and the top 4 from sydney each year.

So what do the four top clubs earn from competing? If they earn nothing, what is the point? If they do earn something, that is an advantage which they then carry forward, allowing them to get richer, fatter, and more successful, making the existing competition (in Sydney, any way) even more skewed towards the rich, powerful, and ruthless.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Winner of Hospital Cup, Shute Shield, John Dent Cup, and the Cockatoos.

Then the Blue Heelers, Melbourne Axemen, & Perth Gold.
While I like the concept of promoting rugby in more areas this comp will only work if the best players are involved. The bolded teams above will not include them. The talent is in Premier/Shute/JD comps.

Status
Not open for further replies.