• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cider

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)
Pear cider is called perry.

I've just planted half a dozen cider apple trees with a view to making my own in a few years. I can get decent cider apples (Browns Apple, Cox's Orange Pippin, a dozen or more others available) from a local heritage apple orchard. I made a small batch this winter, with just a few kilos from the heritage apple place. Will be trying it out in a month or so. My task for autumn is to make a scratter and a press (or I'll just buy one).

It's not one apple that you need, you need to balance three different things, sweet (you can use any eating apple), tannins and acids (from proper cider apples, even crabapples).

You can get proper cider yeasts from home-brew shops. Or otherwise use champagne yeast.

I don't believe that the differences between french and english methods are so massive. Not that I pretend to be an expert, but I now have a few books on it and have read them all and the differences don't seem to be very big. Me I prefer english cider.

My favourite cider is Weston's Old Rosie. A 7.5% alcohol scrumpy, really dry and still. Wife doesn't like it so much. All the westons brews are good though.

That rekorderlig is disgusting shit - designed to get 16 year old swedish girls pregnant I reckon.

The yarra valley is making some decent stuff now. Otherwise kiwi ones are alright.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Wilful, if you like scrumpies you should try and get a hand on some of The Cidery's Scudamore Scrumpy.

http://thecidery.com.au/?page_id=238

These guys are legit, no sulphurites boutique stuff. They are about 50 mins from me, but come to our local farmers market every month. So if your dead keen and can't find it local I can get some and post it out to you.

But be warned, it is old school, still, rough farmhouse scrumpy. I'm drinking an Old Rosie as I type, but I find the Scudamore a tough task.

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)
Cheers Charger. I have the world's best boutique bottleshop in my small country town, they could order it in if I ask nicely.

I actually hope to be selling them my product in a few years - but this is just a dream for now.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Pear cider is called perry.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think a couple of English counties have recently claimed the exclusive use of the term "perry", in exactly the same manner those few Frogs have scared the rest of us off using "Champagne".

I have the world's best boutique bottleshop in my small country town.....

Well, don't keep it a secret, w, where is it?

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think a couple of English counties have recently claimed the exclusive use of the term "perry", in exactly the same manner those few Frogs have scared the rest of us off using "Champagne".

Correct, mate, I have had perry, but haven't seen a sparkling end product.

Alot of 'pear' ciders are not wholly as such; there is a fair amount of apple component thrown in as well.

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)
I wont say that Wikipedia gets it 100% right, but there's a bit of debate on there about what's perry and what's pear cider and if there's a difference. The article seems to favour the idea that if it's made with perry pears and has no more than 25% apple juice in it, it's perry (no matter where it's made - but you can hardly find perry pears outside the three counties). If it's made with more apple juice or with sweet pears as a flavouring, it's pear cider.

Not an expert.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Cheers Charger. I have the world's best boutique bottleshop in my small country town, they could order it in if I ask nicely.

I actually hope to be selling them my product in a few years - but this is just a dream for now.

What is the best book on cider Wilful?

Status
Not open for further replies.