• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Classic Wallabies out to make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
This is a fantastic initiative. School visits are so important when it comes to capturing the hearts of kids.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
From the article
“I just noticed my six or seven-year-old daughter at the time was coming home and telling me how often the (Sydney) Roosters were at school (and she would ask) can we go and watch the Roosters, Dad?” Hoiles said.

“I just thought why aren’t we doing this in rugby?”
Don't the Reds and Waratah players visit schools?

Rebels players certainly do, seems the Force players as well. Maybe part of the reason rugby is growing in Vic and WA?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
From the article

Don't the Reds and Waratah players visit schools?

Rebels players certainly do, seems the Force players as well. Maybe part of the reason rugby is growing in Vic and WA?

Waratahs used to - my son's primary school had a couple of visits when he was there. Don't know if they still do.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Waratahs used to - my son's primary school had a couple of visits when he was there. Don't know if they still do.
It's an opportunity wasted if they're not. I know that GWS are very active in drumming up business in the public schools in Western Sydney.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
There are so many schools that it's impossible to canvas even 5%, especially for a team like the Tahs who purport to represent the entire State (rather than, say, the Manly Sea Eagles who have a much smaller catchment).

This is an idea I'd love to see the Brett Papworth's and Alan Jones' of the world rallying around. The guys with a voice who could really make a difference.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
There are so many schools that it's impossible to canvas even 5%, especially for a team like the Tahs who purport to represent the entire State (rather than, say, the Manly Sea Eagles who have a much smaller catchment).

This is an idea I'd love to see the Brett Papworth's and Alan Jones' of the world rallying around. The guys with a voice who could really make a difference.

Yeah but we have 12 SS teams to assist.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Of course. And no doubt some clubs are doing a great job.

But isn't this a beautiful concept? Other codes do it pretty well too (NRL use ex-players in similar welfare capacity), but we've got such a great resource in our former Wallabies, and also a clear need for better opportunities for them once they hang up the boots.

Just needs a bit of cash to fund it. (the great overused phrase in Aussie rugby!)

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Dave Wessels was at a game at my son's school yesterday and my boy went over and had a chat with him. He said that Dave was happy to talk to the boys about rugby and spent more time asking them questions than talking about the Force or the ARU.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Of course. And no doubt some clubs are doing a great job.

But isn't this a beautiful concept? Other codes do it pretty well too (NRL use ex-players in similar welfare capacity), but we've got such a great resource in our former Wallabies, and also a clear need for better opportunities for them once they hang up the boots.

Just needs a bit of cash to fund it. (the great overused phrase in Aussie rugby!)

Absolutely. Few things fly the flag better than some former Wallaby legends spending time with young players spreading the gospel.

T

TOCC

I refuse to believe the Tahs do as much as NRL teams, It's well known in the media circles in Sydney how cuddled the Waratahs and Wallabies are, limited opportunities and tight media engagement windows has burnt many bridges.. when you're a premium product and in demand that may work, that's not the logic of Australian rugby though.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
You have to target the schools where the demographic needs the most attention. it's about winning hearts and minds. Its good for rugby and good for society in general. It's the foundation of social license.

It is also good for the players as it gives them perspective of the privilege they have of elite sport. An eye opener to some less fortunate is also a good form of personal development.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
How about this. Super teams (and the Wallabies) currently face two problems:

1. Not fit enough
2. Not enough school visits

So....... we mandate that all fitness sessions be held at local public schools, and the schoolkids can join the team in their drills! And if any player is beaten in any drill by a primary school child, they receive a 10% pay cut......

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Yes and No - I have a business plan that goes with it.
AFL runs their Auskick after school and charge the parents $60 for the 5 weeks from memory.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
How about this. Super teams (and the Wallabies) currently face two problems:

1. Not fit enough
2. Not enough school visits

So... we mandate that all fitness sessions be held at local public schools, and the schoolkids can join the team in their drills! And if any player is beaten in any drill by a primary school child, they receive a 10% pay cut..

Make it 100% cut and I am in.

T

TOCC

Meanwhile Melbourne Storm players are visiting rugby union schools in Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.