• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Club Players with potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Have seen mention of a few club players in various threads as having potential for S14 and higher but don't know if there is a thread dedicated to the topic.

Who is running around in club land, anywhere in OZ, that is not in a S14 setup (incl. Academy) that might be worth developing?

I'll start with a couple of Brisbane club players: Toby White (Easts) a big strong 13 who is only 21; James Harvey (Brothers) - another big strong, and pacey 13; Ian (?) Prior (Uni) - sweet passing 20 year old halfback; Jordie Tuapou (Easts) - talented backrower with great ball skills, and last year's Aussie Schoolboy captain.

Who else is there?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Dave McDuling and Sam Carter, a pair of outstanding young second rowers for Sydney Uni, are ready to step up. As is winger Nick Edwards.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
This thread should really be in grassroots, but I'll go too, a couple of NSWelshmen that have caught my eye so far:

Sione Piukala (Eastwood)

John Grant (Eastwood)

Josh Gamgee (Southern Districts)

Adam D'Arcy (Manly)

Dishonorable mention to Gene Fairbanks. I think he's been quite poor so far for Randwick.

T

tranquility

Good thread.

The Murphy brothers, from incidentally the Brothers club in Brisbane. Especially Damon.

Also, what about the 2008 Australian schoolboys flyhalf Rohan Saifoloi? I have never seen him play, but surely the kid must have some development in him.

Jordan Tupou would be one of the first blokes picked if I were Rod McQueen down in Melbourne.

Matt Brandon from the Easts club is another flyhalf who has a good resume. Aussy Schools, U19s, Brisbane Premiere Premiership, Professional stint in Japan. Still only 24

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Bruce Ross said:
Dave McDuling and Sam Carter, a pair of outstanding young second rowers for Sydney Uni, are ready to step up. As is winger Nick Edwards.

Good young players McDuling being the same year as Lachlan McCaffrey at school as well as another Al McFarland who for some reason has moved to Randwick(Now playing 4th grade) from Norths(played 2nd grade).

All schoolboy reps...

C

chief

tranquility said:
Good thread.

The Murphy brothers, from incidentally the Brothers club in Brisbane. Especially Damon.

Dallan, for me has the most potential. He's in the Reds Wider training squad. Interesting to see what happens in the newt few years.

Also, what about the 2008 Australian schoolboys flyhalf Rohan Saifoloi? I have never seen him play, but surely the kid must have some development in him. Too small, far too small

Jordan Tupou would be one of the first blokes picked if I were Rod McQueen down in Melbourne. Give him a year or so in Premier Rugby, and we'll see what he's got.

Matt Brandon from the Easts club is another flyhalf who has a good resume. Aussy Schools, U19s, Brisbane Premiere Premiership, Professional stint in Japan. Still only 24

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Bruce, hasn't Nick Edwards played 7s for USA? That'd make him ineligible for Oz and a problem for a Super side signing him.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bruce Ross said:
Dave McDuling and Sam Carter, a pair of outstanding young second rowers for Sydney Uni, are ready to step up.

how tall are they Bruce?

Cyril Towers (30)
Bruce Ross said:
Agree with you there, Bruce. Both look like they have big off seasons. I know the Force showed a bit of interest in Carter and he trained over there in Jan for a couple of weeks. Good pedigree, too. He's the son of former Wallaby 6 Dave Carter.
Ben Roberts is a good enough hooker to keep Nathan Charles in 2nds most weeks and would go alright, if he can fix up his lineouts.
Sievert, the 9 at Souths is a good player who has hopefully beaten his injury woes.

And a couple of smokies: I really like the look of Nick Phipps and Bernard(?) Foley who were 9 and 10 in Uni colts last year and are in the Aus 7s team. Phipps, in particular looks very promising.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lindommer said:
Bruce, hasn't Nick Edwards played 7s for USA? That'd make him ineligible for Oz and a problem for a Super side signing him.

Yes, Lindommer, and he'll probably play for the Septics in the World Cup. You may be right about this lessening the possibility of him picking up a contract.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
topo said:
Bruce Ross said:
Dave McDuling and Sam Carter, a pair of outstanding young second rowers ...
Agree with you there, Bruce. Both look like they have big off seasons. I know the Force showed a bit of interest in Carter and he trained over there in Jan for a couple of weeks. Good pedigree, too. He's the son of former Wallaby 6 Dave Carter.
Ben Roberts is a good enough hooker to keep Nathan Charles in 2nds most weeks and would go alright, if he can fix up his lineouts.
Sievert, the 9 at Souths is a good player who has hopefully beaten his injury woes.

And a couple of smokies: I really like the look of Nick Phipps and Bernard(?) Foley who were 9 and 10 in Uni colts last year and are in the Aus 7s team. Phipps, in particular looks very promising.

Each of the players you mention, topo, show the benefit of allowing players to develop their craft at club level rather than being rushed into a professional squad where they would be over-trained and under-played.

McDuling, Carter and Roberts put in huge off seasons with McDuling in particular being a revelation. I always considered him a one-paced player but he has greatly improved his vertical jump and now shows real explosiveness.

Phipps and Foley were hidden away in Colts for three seasons and it is a shame that they have been temporarily lured away on the semi-rugby touring junket. Foley now has the complete quarterback game and was outstanding in his first grade debut against Norths.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
topo said:

I wonder whether Nick is related to Jim and Peter Phipps, two great Gordon Wallabies?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Noddy said:
Bruce Ross said:
Dave McDuling and Sam Carter, a pair of outstanding young second rowers for Sydney Uni, are ready to step up.

how tall are they Bruce?

Noddy, McDuling is 196cm but has a massive wing span of about 204-206cm which makes his effective height much greater. At 115kg his VJ of 70 is virtually off the scale.

Carter is 201cm. At 112kg his VJ is a quite respectable 60.

Another freakish athlete who deserves a mention in this thread is Johnno Jenkins who plays 7. He went across to the Force this season on a short-term contract but did his ankle in the first minute or so he was on the field.

At 100kg he benches 160kg for reps. Because of knee problems he avoids the squat but in the Romanian dead lift he does reps with 180kg. His best 40m time in the past year is 5:03.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Noddy said:
all good news then Bruce. We need to keep the lock development going.

I could not agree more, Noddy. From time to time there is discussion about how strong particular props are but you never hear any mention about locks being strong. But this is where you really need serious grunt. Unlike the front rowers they need no scrum technique, just a capacity to shunt the thing forward.

Australian rugby has never really focussed on wearing opponents down by physical imposition. It's all very well to talk about running big forwards off their feet but wearing them down physically takes a greater toll.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Up here the Sunnybank Premier team (Blake Holmes era) used to regularly march the scrums 30 metres upfield for no apparant purpose than to see the jelly legged locks walk meekly to the ensuing ruck.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
except when they played the Gold Coast with the likes of McIsaacs, Te Moana and whomever.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
wamberal said:
topo said:

I wonder whether Nick is related to Jim and Peter Phipps, two great Gordon Wallabies?

Wamberal,

Nick went to Kings. His father is the sportsmaster at Kings. Jim or Peter Phipps(not sure which one) being from Barker sent their son(s) to Barker who in turn this decade have sent Saxon(Gordon 1st Colts hooker last season), Sam(Played for Barker Old Boys) & Jordy(Might be playing for Gordon not to sure, 4th grade colts or something) I know Peter(Nick's Dad & sportsmaster at Kings) is there uncle so I assume yes they are related.

Status
Not open for further replies.