• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Clyde Rathbone's battle with depression

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Bugger, the only ABC Local Radio services on TuneIn are the capital cities plus Newcastle. I did have a look at the the Statewide Drive page on the ABC website and it appears they put up audio files of interviews the next working day, so I'll have a look there on Monday.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
I have another option - I'll leave work a little early and listen in on the car radio. I can pick up 549 ABC Central West on the car radio (with a bit of crackle).

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
I did listen in to the 549 ABC Central West broadcast on the way home on Friday afternoon. The interview was delayed until after 4:50pm due to the Lance Armstrong story but the announcer still had a good chat with Clyde before the news. It's well worth listening to if the ABC puts up an audio file on their website.

Clyde was quite open and frank talking about how depression affected him and how he dealt with it. He mentioned that the stigma, particularly in sporting circles, that depression and other mental illnesses are perceived as being 'weak' is an impediment to many people recognising and dealing with it.

Another interesting thing about the interview was that he's really picking up an Australian accent and only at times do the South African clipped vowels come through.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
A mate of mine started a run today from Brisbane from Sydney to raise money for Beyond Blue. He's called it "Running out the Blue" and will be cranking out about 35km's every day for the next month. http://www.runningoutoftheblue.com/index.htm

I'll be joining him on Sunday morning on the Gold Coast for a pretty hungover 10km section of it after a hopefully fabulous Wallabies win tonight, but if anyone wants to help his fundraising efforts feel free to do so on the link below. He's trying to raise $100k for Beyond Blue so needs a bit of help from here although the $13k he's got already is a bloody good effort.

http://www.everydayhero.com.au/event/rootb2012

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Absolutely sensational Clyde. Looks like the hard work is paying off. He is loking on top of his game which is awsome.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I wish people would just leave Ian Thorpe alone to get the treatment he needs.

His issues have been splashed all over the media today and it doesn't leave the fella with much dignity.