• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Coaching Options for Qld Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

A few snippets from Jim Tucker:

-Defence coach Peter Wilkins is also gone for 2016.

-Tim Lane is been considered for a backs coach role.

-Matt O'Connor is one of the applicants for the head coach role.

-Despite rumours Michael Foley is not an option.

-RG has not been re-signed for 2016.

-John Connolly can't just slip into a coaching role, he is signed as a consultant and to become a coach would require board approval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Word has it that Richard Graham is off to the USA next year to coach the all female cheer squad for the Eagles.
To use the American vernacular, he said he'd be rooting for his girls; rather than been rooted by his boys here.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Does anyone really think Knuckles would want to be Head Coach. He's done what every professional does, retires, comes back at a high price (because he was chased) ,gives his view and recommendations and has the luxury of not being accountable for anything not working. He would be mad to take on the stress of Head coach given his age.
I think its a year to early for Stiles.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The head coach surely needs to be more back orientated given Stiles proven ability though. e.g. Chieka/(Gibson/Gray) White/Larkham Link/McKay

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Leaders work well when relegated to 2IC roles...
I can't imagine the QRU want his name anywhere near the books.
He may even be struck off the list of past players???

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I can't think of anything more stupid than keeping RG on in any high performance role whatsoever.

He would have next to no credibility at all in any role within the Reds "high performance" group now because of his record.

I don't like seeing people sacked, retrenched or moved on, but the chances of him successfully working out in a lesser role are so slim as to be almost nil - something that the Reds do NOT need to test out for next year.

T

Train Without a Station

Leaders work well when relegated to 2IC roles.

Well actually they do. In the AFL a number of former head coaches have helped teams achieve success in a coaching director or assistant coach role.

Brett Ratten at Hawthorn. Rodney Eade at Carlton. Mark Thompson at Essendon. Michael Voss at Port Adelaide. These are all examples of this.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Well actually they do. In the AFL a number of former head coaches have helped teams achieve success in a coaching director or assistant coach role.

Brett Ratten at Hawthorn. Rodney Eade at Carlton. Mark Thompson at Essendon. Michael Voss at Port Adelaide. These are all examples of this.

All at the same club?? IIRC Ratten moved to Hawthorne for assistant role?? no idea re others. Maybe Graham can go to the Tahs as forwards coach???

T

Train Without a Station

No they aren't. But considering 3 of them had their contracts terminated, it wasn't really a tenable transition. None of them moved for an assistant role. They took one when they had no job.

I'm not advocating RG be kept on in an assistant role as I have zero idea of his ability in that role. But to say it would never work is not right. If he's any good at being an assistant, it can potentially work very well.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)

In the same organisation?

I don't follow AFL, but were any of those guys coach of those teams and then relegated to an assistant role afterwards in the same club?

*edt* sorry - already answered above. Carry on :)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tuggeranong Vikings Head Coach positon advertised. Any possibility of current coach Brad Harris taking in the Reds after the NRC? :) And please don't put RG's name forward for any job down here including the Vikings.:(

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Tuggeranong Vikings Head Coach positon advertised. Any possibility of current coach Brad Harris taking in the Reds after the NRC? :) And please don't put RG's name forward for any job down here including the Vikings.:(

What if we offer to pay his contract?

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Sorry I was only referring to it not working at the same club. No arguments to get terminated then move. There can be a myriad of reasons why things don't work at one place and a move works well. But to stand down and remain at the same place... that requires a lot of people to start with a clean slate:The players, other staff, coach being demoted, new coach

Reactions: gel
T

Train Without a Station

Generally in those cases, there really has been no opportunity to transition into an assistant role at the same team. It's been a swift decision.

In hindsight Carlton for example would have benefited greatly from retaining Rattan as an assistant. Many would argue they would have benefited from retaining him in his existing role. But that's another discussion altogether. But they were too swift to remove him from the head coaching role and therefore were not able to discuss this possibility and put it in place under a new head coach.

The difference in the Reds scenario is the apparent lack of urgency to just sack Graham to be essentially seen to be doing something. The AFL is a very emotionally driven enterprise which is why these actions occur. If you want an example, look at the spike in Essendon memberships when James Hird was appointed senior coach. He had zero head coach experience. In fact I think he actually had zero coaching experience. Public ate it up though.

As I said, it's entirely possible he would be a terrible assistant coach too, in which case I hope they wouldn't do this. But there's plenty of poor head coaches who have been very capable assistants, just not good head coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.