• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Commentators

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

I replayed the Ch:7 broadcast of the Bledisloe last night, had to laugh at Dan Crowley's commentating..

After Nonu cleared out from the side
"there it is again, Nonu has no idea"

On the ref's performance at scrum time
"his kidding himself, just do the call and get on with it"

"does Cowan know the mullet when out of stly about 22years ago"

When Ritchie approached the Ref after a scrum collapse
"bugger off Richie, you've got nothing to do with it, your a breakaway for godsake, your about as useful as a winger in the scrum"

T

TOCC

Crowley's awesome because he doesn't hold back, however unlike like Jeremy Paul who also likes to think of himself as a sharpshooter, his arguments are actually quite logical

There seems to be a irregularity of front rowers in the commentating/journalism ranks

Link, Crowley, Freier, Cannon, Paul

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
Didn't know about Link's efforts in this regard. Does he write for the Courier Mail?

Don't forget our mates Kearns and Buddha in your list of Fatty commentators.

T

TOCC

Yes link probably shouldn't be in there, but he does do the ruggamatrix podcast

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
'spose that qualifies Link as an educated Front Rower.

To add to the list is Richard Loe and Sean Fitzpatrick from NZ.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think Bray is past his prime a bit. He just doesn't excite me, and just seems to be a little bit off the pace these days.

I prefer the Foxsports team. Clarkie is a very good comments man. I like Marto and Kearnsie but they can come accross as complete numbskulls at times. Their lack of even a basic knowledge of the laws gets me, but you can't fault their passion for the game. They get excited by good play from any side. Kafer is excellent.

T

TOCC

Channel 9 will more then likely just bring across the Ch 7 team, i enjoy Crowley but i think he is more suited to a rugby union talk-show type program rather then commentating itself.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I recorded both versions and watched the 7 recording on Sunday.

I like Crowley too, and better than Kearns on the technical side of forwards matters, especially scrums. To be fair: you'd expect a prop to know a bit more about scrums than a hooker, even if he was just a undercover LHP. Kearns tries to bluff his way through things sometimes.

Kearns obviously has his heart on his sleeve but Marto is bloody embarrassing, which is a pity because he knows the backs stuff and probably sees more than Horan does.

The affable Clarkie is my preferred main commentator, but Bray is not too bad. Believe it or not he has reduced the amount of minutiae he mentions compared to what he was like a decade and more ago ("His uncle won a bronze medal in the Commonwealth Games for Samoa" type comments FFS). And at least he knows more about the laws than anybody else from either channel.

What really pisses me off about Kearns and Marto is that I like to hear the comments of the ref but those two guys talk over them. Sometimes you can hear a bit of what the ref has said and a few seconds later one of the two theorises about why a penalty was for which is wrong. They obviously hadn't heard the ref. It is particularly noticeable, in hindsight (or hind-hearing :D) when you have been at the ground during the Super14 with Sports Ears on the refs channel. When you get home and watch your recording it becomes apparent that they have talked over several interesting ref comments that you heard at the ground.

Not so on Channel 7. They obviously have a smarter producer who has instructed the commentators to stop talking when the ref is saying something - that is, if they haven't gone to an ad in the meantime. Perhaps it is Bray with all his experience who has put that procedure in place.

The Foxtel guys don't know the refs signals very well compared to Bray either.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
We had the Kiwis for this test, and they were pretty clear about who was dominant through the test

Although they actually referred to Pocock as "the young Zimbabwean" FFS!

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
just had a look at the AB's squad and counted how many were linked to Pacific nations:

Mealamu - samoa
B. Branks - born in aus
kaino - samoa
nonu - samoa
sonny bill - samoa
joe - fiji
siti - fiji
mils - samoa
ice - samoa

Aus have
Huia - born NZ
stehen moore - born in saudi
salesi - fiji/tonga
Mumm - born in nz
pocock - zimbabwe
Genia - PNG
quade - nz
JOC (James O'Connor) - where isn't he from (nz, RSA, Ireland apparently)

Pretty even in terms of foreign players either born there, grew up there or second generation aussie/nzer

But yeah its a bit hippocritical of Nz commentators not referencing there own players heritage

Ham

Sydney Middleton (9)
I have to mute the TV when the Reds are playing. I don't enjoy listening to Marto orgasm every time the Reds make a line break.

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Steve Hoiles is the new upcoming star of rugby commentary. Everytime he is involved in a panel anywhere he kills it. Always interesting to listen to

Status
Not open for further replies.