• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Continued decline in Sydney Junior Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I have no idea where you come to the conclusion that those that sit on NSWRU board do not sit on the SJRU board. Reading the 2015 Annual Report, Kerry Brady was President of NSWJRU and Competitions Manager of SJRU which holds board representation on the SJRU board. Tony Fisher was Commercial Manager of NSWRU and President of SJRU. These appointments are just the shuffling of the deck chairs.

or a scramble for the lifeboats?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Great result for Southern Districts Summer Rugby Clinic.
https://www.facebook.com/junior.rebel.news/posts/937998966293682

Grass Roots.
Grass Roots clubs investing time in the grass roots, doing this well will have families rock up to game day.
Doing it repeatedly well will swell the our numbers playing the game, and that just pushes quality higher.

PS - Marlins and Souths on fire - 2 x Paladin sports clubs investing time in juniors.

#Inclineofthejuniors

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I have no idea where you come to the conclusion that those that sit on NSWRU board do not sit on the SJRU board. Reading the 2015 Annual Report, Kerry Brady was President of NSWJRU and Competitions Manager of SJRU which holds board representation on the SJRU board. Tony Fisher was Commercial Manager of NSWRU and President of SJRU. These appointments are just the shuffling of the deck chairs.

Sounds a bit like the administration of a banana republic; the petty potentates and their friends and relatives holding multiple and complementary offices.

Andy L

Frank Row (1)
Any other options if the school does not have a rugby team? We recently returned to Australia after living in overseas for the last eight years. My son started playing rugby when he was six. He played both club and school rugby in Hong Kong. When we returned, my son joined the local rugby team in Lindfield and played the game on Sunday. Two weeks ago, he moved to the current school (North Sydney Boys) and just found out that the school does not have a rugby team. He was very sad when he found out the news. As we are new to the system, I would like to find out whether we have any other options apart the club rugby? Thanks.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Any other options if the school does not have a rugby team? We recently returned to Australia after living in overseas for the last eight years. My son started playing rugby when he was six. He played both club and school rugby in Hong Kong. When we returned, my son joined the local rugby team in Lindfield and played the game on Sunday. Two weeks ago, he moved to the current school (North Sydney Boys) and just found out that the school does not have a rugby team. He was very sad when he found out the news. As we are new to the system, I would like to find out whether we have any other options apart the club rugby? Thanks.

Yep, get the school to start playing rugby.

Just sent through a Private Message.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some schools enter one off teams in carnivals, and some of the State Schools like Epping BHS, Homebush BHS play semi regular (more recently these have become more in the way of irregular) Wednesday games against each other, but outside the AAGPS (9 schools), CAS (6 schools), and ISA (about 15 schools across 2 divisions) there is little school rugby action in Sydney and surrounds.

Junior Club rugby is the only real option. In saying that, despite the grumblings on here about SJRU from time to time, your son (and plenty of others before him) can have a great time playing junior village club rugby right until he leaves school, after which Colts in Premier Clubs, or Suburban Rugby Clubs beckons. Shute Shield clubs are getting much better at engaging with their Junior Clubs and the SJRU pathway.

In the older age groups, there is a bit of a skills gap between what the Big Schools offer, but until Under 16's some (if not all) schools turn a bit of a blind eye on their kids playing Club footy on Sundays, (including those in the Age Group A teams. It gets quite serious for the 16A's (sometimes 15A's) and the first XV, second XV (and sometimes third XV), with many schools actively preventing kids from playing club and school footy, mainly on player safety and recovery grounds as the physicality in the game increases exponentially once the Puberty Fairy waves the magic wand.

Plenty of young folk from the Big Rugby Schools give up the game after they leave school, and similarly plenty of professional or top level Shute Shield Club players did not attend a Private School with a big rugby programme.

Andy L

Frank Row (1)
Thank you Dave. It is ironic that he played rugby for the Aussie school in Hong Kong but not the school back home in Sydney.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Sad that a school which has twice won the Waratah Shield (when it was a a genuine state-wide competition) and was for many years the strongest state rugby school on the northside doesn't have a rugby team.

Sadly rugby has almost vanished from the state system. Where once each zone ran its own Wednesday competition (with teams in every year group), there now exists CHS trials (opens only), Waratah Shield (only sports highs enter), Waratah Cup (knockout only in opens), Buchan Shield (knockout 15s) and a few irregular 7s and local competitions.

The Peninsula Cup runs an after school competition in different age groups, including 13s, and would be able to accomodate North Sydney Boys', but you'd need qualified staff and/or parents to coach, manage etc. In terms of state schools, there just aren't that many teachers who are able to coach rugby so the schools just run with soccer and touch football in most cases.

If AndyL's son is at NSBHS, he'll get a top class academic education. Which at the end of the day will be more beneficial that rugby. Sad to say if he wants to combine this with seriously competitive sport, then it's the wrong school.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
It is sad.:(

Yes, but as per my PM i sent you that you may not have read yet.

My experience over the last 6 months, there's people at NSWRU who will help they just need some one to help with opening the doors.

Here is an example albiet at junior level;

Do the home work, get a couple of others on board, be able to answer all questions, and overcome all rejection, and knock on the door.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It is sad.:(

As Dave said, if you can get enough boys and parents interested, there is the Peninsula Cup. Not sure what age your son is but it caters for all age groups and even a school like NSBHS without a huge rugby demographic would be able to have games at their level. Games are normally at 4pm on a weekday afternoon. Not sure who runs it these days, but I think it might be one of the sports teachers at St Luke's. It's not easy to get things going in the state system, but if there are one or two parents who will jump in an help, schools will often support it.

loiterer

Sydney Middleton (9)

Where are you living and what age group is your son in? Clubs tend to have a number of players who have returned from HK & Singapore.

Andy L

Frank Row (1)
We live in the North. My son is in U14 this coming season and he plays for Lindfield junior. Unfortunately, none of his club team mates are in the same school. I guess, it is really sad to see a school, full of rugby history, does not have a school team in recent years. The last rugby representative at any levels from the school was back in 2001...15 years ago!

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
We live in North. My son is in U14 this coming season and he plays for Lindfield junior. Unfortunately, none of his club team mates are in the same school. I guess, it is really sad to see a school, full of rugby history, does not have a school team in recent years. The last rugby representative at any levels from the school was back in 2001.15 years ago!

Andy, seeing as you have been living O/S for the last eight years you said, I want to gently and diplomatically tell you that North Sydney Boys has students who generally don't play rugby.
NSBH is one of the top performing HSC/ATAR results schools in NSW and has been for many years. You will find that bulk of children who attend the school are from families who wish their child to achieve a career that is more academically minded e.g. medicine or law.
The students are highly competitive with each other academically and they study hard after school and on the weekends. Most are also tutored as well all the way through from Yrs 7-12.

Generally they don't play a lot of sport (I do know one Yr 9 boy who plays rep soccer) and they certainly don't play a lot of rugby.

As other posters have said, playing club is the best you can do and Lindfield is as good a club as any to do that.

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
e407fd0c504c9666e0f0b831bf5c2f3e.jpg

A great initiative by Burraneer Rugby Club.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Guys the people are there to grow our rugby, we just need to help open the doors.
Caught up with NSWRU Luke Thiessen the Senior Development Manager Sydney North – if you’re in his catchment he’s the man who will assist with junior rugby, club and school. Great example is the above Game On you tube footage I shared earlier

Spoke with the legends at Camp Wallaby who generously provided 1 registration to raffle off to assist raise funds to in introducing rugby into Allambie Public School which is a goal for this year.

Camps look awesome - have your child training with a Wallaby.

CW NSW ACT Brochure-2-1.jpg

Grow grass roots, quantity raises the quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.