• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cooking meat outdoors

How should meat be cooked outdoors?

• Total voters

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I'll enjoy my braai (why the hell do you lot gave it a BBQ name?) this weekend if some RooiBont player knock Cooper out of his socks. Know it wont be Spencer but holding tumbs for Wikus, Minnie or Baywatch. :fishing

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Re: Quade - the BBQ Entertainer

HG said:
I suspect Cooper will be starting up the BBQ sometime shortly after half time.
Someone has to cook the dinner for the wining side.
;) Yep, make no mistake. Bliksem but his place kicking style seems weird. :eek: You lot should try a proper braai man, BBQ is hamburger patties and weense worsies site. Braais are for kg steaks and nice saddle chops and a whole lamb rib.

Next year I'll come and show you lot a proper braai.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

PaarlBok said:
HG said:
I suspect Cooper will be starting up the BBQ sometime shortly after half time.
Someone has to cook the dinner for the wining side.
;) Yep, make no mistake. Bliksem but his place kicking style seems weird. :eek: You lot should try a proper braai man, BBQ is hamburger patties and weense worsies site. Braais are for kg steaks and nice saddle chops and a whole lamb rib.

Next year I'll come and show you lot a proper braai.
I would put money on PB doing a fine braai, but challenging Australian males to a BBQ competition might be fraught with danger!! I'm happy to judge the comp, though! ;)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)

Cyc all depend what they want to braai. Oom PB love braaiing. Tonite I have to braai a Braai Pie for some Osfontein visitors, order by the Mrs.

What BBQ you lot?

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Hey Oom Paarl,
I just read the above posts buried in the Quade Cooper thread and thought we really should have our own BBQ / Braai thread. I'd be interested to hear about our members' BBQs, and feel free to share photo's and stories of your outdoor cooking pursuits

My general use home BBQ is a 4 burner Stainless Steel gas model. I do believe that a great BBQ really be cooked on coals, however, in Australia gas at home is the only real option. Whenever it's hot or windy we have a fire ban, if you were cooking on the Weber with coals is illegal!

I love to go camping, mainly cause it brings the opportunity to cook on fire. I've cooked some of the best tasting meat I've ever eaten on my Stainless Steel camping spit-roast, called an Auspit. An easier option when camping is the bush barbie, not exactly the one in that link but pretty similar. Just open it over your fire and it's time to cook.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Here's my spit roast turning a duck and some port at my bucks party. Apparently our small fire was quite warm, warm enough that the two D cell batteries in the spit roast motor stopped working. Not to worry, we were still on the first keg at this point so I was able to wire a torch battery into the motor, and while 6 Volts did twice the revs of the intended 3 Volts, the meat didn't care. I also put together a heat deflector to keep it all working.

Attachments

• DSC07914.JPG
    DSC07914.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 790

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Always the techie, Moses, always the techie! There's no problem with wires or computer gadgetry our lad can't solve.

Just can't wait till you tell us stories of cleaning up your rugrat's khyber. And how you solve that one. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The right wood gives off a smoke that is beautifully flavoured and adds to the meat.

Moses, I've just had an enormous lunch but feel hungry again looking at your photo.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Coal or Wood are both acceptable. They both have their good points if you ask me.

Food doesn't taste the same on Gas.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Dankie Moses for starting this one, myself love making a fire with flames, hell donkey drops (coals) dont leave enough charge office coffee time. I only use them if I cant find decend wood and will mix it. In SA your best wood is kameeeldoring (camel thorn), if you make a huge fire with it, you,ll still be able to braai the next morning and you get it from Inland areas.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I've got a mate who works in forestry, his favourite wood is cyprus pine and it did burn very well when we trecked 500m up a hill to grab some that he spotted from our campsite.

Often I'll take coals for cooking on the bush barbie, they do give a nice even heat and are ready to cook on in 90 minutes rather than needing 3 hours with a wood fire. It all depends on what other activities happen on the day, if you're staying round the campsite all day then get a wood fire going early, but if we're out fishing then coals are a good way to move dinner forward.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Can't beat wood. PB is it custom to burn the chops on the braai in SA? This has been the source of many a debate in Australia.

Moses, that spit looks shit hot.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Hot is definately the word, it was on a mates farm in Nerriga, kind of near Picton. If you scroll to the right of that picture you can see the tree is burning from the inside, the whole thing has coaled and was incredible hot! They had a road cleared 20 years ago to the house, so there's very dead trees lining both sides of it. Hooked a snatch strap round the tree and on to the Patrol then towed the tree onto the fireplace, took a bit of effort but there was plenty of beer and some mates managed to "surf" the tree as I was towing it down the hill...

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
wow, because, you know. When I hear "bucks party" and "spit roast" in the same sentance, this isn't usually what I expect.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Noddy said:
wow, because, you know. When I hear "bucks party" and "spit roast" in the same sentance, this isn't usually what I expect.
have you been haning round with Mungos

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Moses said:
Here's my spit roast turning a duck and some port at my bucks party. Apparently our small fire was quite warm, warm enough that the two D cell batteries in the spit roast motor stopped working. Not to worry, we were still on the first keg at this point so I was able to wire a torch battery into the motor, and while 6 Volts did twice the revs of the intended 3 Volts, the meat didn't care. I also put together a heat deflector to keep it all working.
Moses we are quite lucky in SA. A small spittertjie will cost you R300 and all the main shops sell them. One thing that caught my eye immediately when I was in the UK , no shops with basic braai equipment like blitz (to start a fire) , wood, grills , fire irons, potjies like we have here. You'll find braai stuff in cafes, petrol stations and all the shops, ditto biltong. My spittertjie works with two usual flits batteries. I'll fit in two chickens on the spitter. A few tips I can give is
1. dont use a sauce on your duck/chicken till its nearly done
2. Tie the two feet with a thread of cotton.
3 . Stitch the wings with toot pricks against the chickens body.

I always start my spit with a smallies fire, then move the flames away from the spitter, then adding coals on the fire and using it to get a steady heat under the food.

Camping, hell it remind me a lot to my childhood days. Coming from a big family (6 boys & 2 girls) we use to camp yearly with tents. My dad love his fire and being the youngest me and the older one job was to collect wood from the veld, daily. Nowadays we cant camp in SA. Another tip if you dont have available wood and have to fetch dry branches from trees. Just tie a stone to a rope and throw it over the branch, then rip it off the tree.

One nice piece of meat I love braai is a whole lamb rib. If you guys want some tips or more info tob try traditional SA braais, just press the nr.

Ruggo, myself braai at least once a week, mostly on sunday afternoons. I try to mix it up a bit and my normal braai is a few chickens wings or legs, nice piece of boerewors, enough lamb loin choppies (myself love the double one we call saddle chops) , half a lamb rib and two nice pork neck chops. I always marinate my pork neck chops and lamb leg chops. My mrs will make hot or cold potato salad and love my tamato , onion and cheese toast bread.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thomond78 said:
Have a look at this book: http://www.amazon.com/Seven-Fires-Grilling-Argentine-Way/dp/1579653545

It's amazing. Oom PB would love it, not least the recipe for braaiing an entire cow. God knows what the braai-offs will be like when the Argentinians hit the Boland. :lmao:

I prefer using wood, but getting consistent wood is not the easiest in Ireland. A lot of it just burns out too fast, without giving decent coals.
See the Argies lost out in the Vodacom Cup and is already on their way home. Braaing a entire cow, maybe something we can consider for our BBQ competition next year. I'll take the spene. ;)