• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cooking meat outdoors

How should meat be cooked outdoors?

• Total voters

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
What marinade have you got on those T Bones in the picture a few posts above?
Steers Spare Rib Marinade.
SteersSpareRib.jpg

http://www.africandelights.com.au/product.php?productid=1103455&cat=347&page=1

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A recipe for BBQ sauce for Ribs

2 cups Soy Sauce
1 cup Sweet Chilli Sauce
2 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
1 Fresh Chilli
2 Tablespoons Tomato sauce

Add all ingredients into a pot and reduce, stirring occasionally.

Baste sauce onto ribs as you grill them.
As you turn ribs, dunk them into the Sauce pot.

Serve ribs with balance of the sauce "on the side"

Enjoy.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
A recipe for BBQ sauce for Ribs

2 cups Soy Sauce
1 cup Sweet Chilli Sauce
2 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
1 Fresh Chilli
2 Tablespoons Tomato sauce

Add all ingredients into a pot and reduce, stirring occasionally.

Baste sauce onto ribs as you grill them.
As you turn ribs, dunk them into the Sauce pot.

Serve ribs with balance of the sauce "on the side"

Enjoy.
Instead of a full cup of sweet chilli sauce, do half and half with Coca cola.
Trust me it works. Hog heaven taught me that trick in the early 80's

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Are any of you carnivores experienced in the dark art of spit-roasting a suckling pig over coals?

Any hints, secret recipes, common pitfalls or advice you'd be keen to share?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Already got the spit roasting gear for the suckling pig?

My hint is hardware related based on a relatives homegrown spit roasting contraption. It worked very well and cost bugger all.

220 litre drum (44 gal) cut in half. Weld some feet on. Mount a washing machine motor with suitable gearing to reduce rotation speed.

Use good old aussie gum as the heat source.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Never done a whole pig or a lamb. Simply cant afford it. But did a bit of Boere research on it. Suppose you have your spit. Recepy
1) Use an injection and inject the piglet with lime and salt sauce (dont be shy, inject enough as possible). Mix starts with a 500ml lime juice and enough salt. Stir till all the salt are dissolved.
2) Hang it out overnight. The mix gan do its work.
3) Cut the pigs skin in blocks. not to deep. Just through the skin and a bit.
4) Take more juice and rub it in the meat.
5) Now you put it on the spit and make sure everything is right.
6) Start off with quick heat for 45 minutes, the skin will be nice crispy.
7) Remember the pig braai very slow through the skin, good thing to cut the crispy skin off and a nice starter for the braaier and his crowd while enjoying your charge office coffee.
8) Now you have to take the heat away otherwise it will be burnt on the outside and raw at the inside.
9) Just before its done (15 minutes)you can use a basting sauce of your choise.That will give it the nice outside taste like a good old fillet steak.
this is very basic but will do the trick. Myself taste vlakvark (warthog) once from the spit and was excellent.

My Mrs love to use apple jelly or sweet and sour sauce with pineapples as a side sauce with pork. Cabbage is also a very good veggie with pork.

Hulle praat saam, like we call it, talk together!

Enjoy the braai!

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
A mate has a proper setup – coal fired, motor for the spit, takes about a 20kg beast, so we’re pretty set in that department. Just a matter of buying the coals (or heat beads) and firing it up in advance.

I’m interested in the brining of the meat before booking. Paarlbok talks about it with the injections of lime and salt solution, but I’m thinking about taking it a step further and bagging the piglet in a few bin liners, filling it up with a salty spiced brine and letting it soak under ice for a few days prior. Apparently the salt difference between the brine and the meat means that the flavoured liquid is absorbed into the flesh leaving it juicy when cooked. Not sure if it’s more effective than injecting, I guess the only way to find out is to cook a piggy again and compare techniques!

The other part I’m thinking about is how to flavour the meat before cooking. Some people say you should only salt the skin and let the meat speak for itself, but on the other hand a Chinese bbq sauce rubbed into the insides would taste amazing. Maybe a mix of:
  • Sweet soy
  • Ginger
  • Garlic
  • Hoi sin
  • Plum sauce
  • Lemon grass
  • Honey
Can’t go wrong, right?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Maybe a mix of:
  • Sweet soy
  • Ginger
  • Garlic
  • Hoi sin
  • Plum sauce
  • Lemon grass
  • Honey
Can’t go wrong, right?

Be very carefull with an ingredient that will make it burnt easy on the outside. Secret is to go for it towards the end. You sure dont want some rare pig meat. Us boere believe it will eat your brains. ;)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I have some serbian relatives, we often arrange their butcher to deliver a whole spit roasted suckling pig on Christmas day. (orthodox pagans work Christmas day)

It is always glorious

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Be very carefull with an ingredient that will make it burnt easy on the outside. Secret is to go for it towards the end. You sure dont want some rare pig meat. Us boere believe it will eat your brains. ;)

Sorry mate should have been clearer. The plan is to salt and score the skin to get the nice crackling, and to fill the inside with the sauce. You're right - all those sugars will just burn on the outside.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Never done a whole pig or a lamb. Simply cant afford it. But did a bit of Boere research on it. Suppose you have your spit. Recepy
1) Use an injection and inject the piglet with lime and salt sauce (dont be shy, inject enough as possible). Mix starts with a 500ml lime juice and enough salt. Stir till all the salt are dissolved.
2) Hang it out overnight. The mix gan do its work.
3) Cut the pigs skin in blocks. not to deep. Just through the skin and a bit.
4) Take more juice and rub it in the meat.
5) Now you put it on the spit and make sure everything is right.
6) Start off with quick heat for 45 minutes, the skin will be nice crispy.
7) Remember the pig braai very slow through the skin, good thing to cut the crispy skin off and a nice starter for the braaier and his crowd while enjoying your charge office coffee.
8) Now you have to take the heat away otherwise it will be burnt on the outside and raw at the inside.
9) Just before its done (15 minutes)you can use a basting sauce of your choise.That will give it the nice outside taste like a good old fillet steak.
this is very basic but will do the trick. Myself taste vlakvark (warthog) once from the spit and was excellent.

My Mrs love to use apple jelly or sweet and sour sauce with pineapples as a side sauce with pork. Cabbage is also a very good veggie with pork.

Hulle praat saam, like we call it, talk together!

Enjoy the braai!

I did a suckling pig for my youngest daughter's baptism and a goat for my 40th a couple of months ago. PB is spot on about controlling the heat. Keep the heat well controlled and not too strong or you overcook the outer layers and undercook the inside layers. My brother and I found that wrapping the pig or goat in aluminium foil after the first 45 minutes to an hour and dropping the heat back significantly worked well.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
Paarlbok,
May I also suggest that a splash of Coca cola as an addendum to the marinade as well??? It works brilliantly!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Paarlbok,
May I also suggest that a splash of Coca cola as an addendum to the marinade as well??? It works brilliantly!
Coca Cola is a very good one. Its my Charge Office Coffee main ingredient. Myself decided on my usual sunday braai(after lots of rain we had a stunning day) on a specially thick cut TBone to celebrate a special Cheetah victory. Lost out on the victory so decided to celebrate the Ponies in stead. TBone was excellent
TBone_zps73d89194.jpg

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I’ve been trialling a new (for me) method of cooking my steak and pulled off an absolute ripper on Saturday for the Bledisloe.

The first and most important step was buying quality meat. Premium porterhouse, dry aged from 21-42 days (bought a couple different cuts), nice and thick.

Gave them a salt/sugar seasoning; smoked them on hickory at a low temperature for about 30 minutes; let them sit and rest while I built up some proper heat in the coals, before searing them off at the end.

The resulting medium-rare meat-feast was a bloody triumph and has set a personal benchmark for meat cooked outdoors. While they were smoking I prepared a mushroom and stout sauce, but to be honest the meat was perfect on its own.

The process was a bit lengthy, especially the time needed to build the heat in the BBQ for the final grilling, but the end product was magnificent. Not as convenient as a gas barbie, but worth the extra effort for a special occasion