• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cooper boxing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I don't get the anti-boxing sentiment. Its a farce, surely, but all this 'risk of injury' crap is just...well, crap. I'd wager he takes more punishment in the first ruck he gets buried under in any game, than he would in a bixing match. I mean, seriously, what happens?! He gets a black eye, or a saw jaw. Good god, imagine a modern Wallaby back actually being tough enough to take a decent punch!

Also, i reckon hell be a hell of a lot better than most people are predicting. He's lightning fast, very agile and has great hand eye co-ordination. With some very basic boxing technique, and a half decent plan to work from (he'll relish that after 7 months of Deans), I reckon he'll do very very nicely.

Nasser is a wanker, but he's very astute, and wouldn't have suggested Cooper do a bit of boxing if he didn't think he'd go alright.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hasn't Team QC (Quade Cooper) been practicing sham boxing bouts already at Fortitude Valley nightclubs?

Apart from an impact on non-rugby aspects of Team QC (Quade Cooper), these extra-curricular activities with the other 3 Muppeteers of ARu have had very little impact on his on field performances.

Can't see why a staged circus boxing sideshow will adversely impact on the Reds S15 season.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I don't get the anti-boxing sentiment. Its a farce, surely, but all this 'risk of injury' crap is just.well, crap. I'd wager he takes more punishment in the first ruck he gets buried under in any game, than he would in a bixing match. I mean, seriously, what happens?! He gets a black eye, or a saw jaw. Good god, imagine a modern Wallaby back actually being tough enough to take a decent punch!

Also, i reckon hell be a hell of a lot better than most people are predicting. He's lightning fast, very agile and has great hand eye co-ordination. With some very basic boxing technique, and a half decent plan to work from (he'll relish that after 7 months of Deans), I reckon he'll do very very nicely.

Nasser is a wanker, but he's very astute, and wouldn't have suggested Cooper do a bit of boxing if he didn't think he'd go alright.

Have you seen the fat, middle-aged men $BW fights? Of course he'll go well. It's a complete circus.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Hugh, I don't know of any Valley nightclubs with boxing facilities???

I read somewhere that he was boxing for charity. Can anone confirm this is true? If so, it's nobodies business to shout him down over it & would explain why the ARU can accept it.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
for context, this is who SBW is fighting in SA

Francois-Botha-box-111119G300.JPG

and this was his last "victim"

article-2097633-119F852D000005DC-508_468x327.jpg

they aren't getting elite units who could actually threaten them

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Why not get this guy?

homer-simpson+vs+tatum.jpg

"I've got to KNOCK HIM OUT!"

There is zero chance Cooper gets injured, or even hit with a half decent punch in this fight. He'll be fighting some old fat bloke from the mean streets of Campbelltown or somewhere, who can't box to save himself, but is getting a nice paycheck for his efforts. Can't blame him either, I'd take $10k if all I had to do was make QC (Quade Cooper) look good, as hard as it would be to resist the temptation to lay a couple on him or maybe go the sneaky knee to the jatz crackers.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Law of averages confirms that I wouldn't get the negotiation strategy for disco correct.:)

Guess that is why I am an anonymous wannabe blogger and not a used car salesman, politician, player manager like KN.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Anyone got any more info on the charity aspects of this boxing match? I would love to know more about it personally.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
. . .as hard as it would be to resist the temptation to lay a couple on him or maybe go the sneaky knee to the jatz crackers.

Not singling you out hawktrain but this is a sentiment that gets tossed around quite a bit that I find amusing. I would wager that the majority of people that comment on how much of a farce boxing is have never stepped into a ring, even to spar, let alone go a few rounds in an even a semi organised capacity. Yet they make comments like yours. It's as if they could hit their opponent at will, whenever the fancy took them. Like it's that easy.

It's not as easy as it looks. To get a clean hit on your opponent in a boxing ring is a very difficult thing to do. To get a clean hit on them with sufficient force to damage them is even harder.

Again, not aimed at you hawktrain, but anyone who think's they'd go all right should give it a go - it's pretty good fun! If you do, if you actually get both your feet in the ring, you'll feel pretty ballsy. But remember how much balls that took, and realise that the guy standing in the other corner has just as big but probably bigger balls, and they remember that you have to try and knock him down and at the same time, stop him from doing the same to you. Ding-ding - round 1. :D

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
From my understanding SBW has donated his purse to charity in the past but keeps his cut of TV revenue. I would imagine that it would be the same in this bout to. Cooper won't get anything for the actual fight but will be entitled to a cut in the pay tv revenue.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Not singling you out hawktrain but this is a sentiment that gets tossed around quite a bit that I find amusing. I would wager that the majority of people that comment on how much of a farce boxing is have never stepped into a ring, even to spar, let alone go a few rounds in an even a semi organised capacity. Yet they make comments like yours. It's as if they could hit their opponent at will, whenever the fancy took them. Like it's that easy.

B..b..but I played EA Fight Night one time....and I've seen all the Rocky movies...I can totally box.

Nah I get what you're saying, and having done a bit of sparring (mainly for fitness training, boxing is ridiculously good aerobic training), I respect the decision of these guys to get in and have a fight. It's just that they're fighting these blokes who can barely keep their guard up, let alone try to throw a punch, that makes us say how it's pretty much a joke. There's no reason why natural athletes like QC (Quade Cooper) and SBW, with some serious training, couldn't fight some more legit opponents.

Status
Not open for further replies.