• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So after 24 days with zero cases we're now nine straight days with at least one & as many as four, 20 in all. Good news is that all of them were detected in "managed isolation facilities" & are now in quarantine. The not so good news is that 70-odd people let out of isolation without being tested are now refusing to be tested & it appears they can't be compelled to do so unless they actually get sick, by which time the horse will have well & truly bolted. I'm not hopeful that we won't see a resumption in community transmission a la Victoria some time in the next few weeks.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
AFAIK no one has yet refused to be tested while in isolation & once they're in quarantine thevPublic Health Act allows for compulsory testing & whatever other procedures DOH deems necessary. But as the number of expats returning increases I guess it's only a matter of time before someone decides it's an infringement on their rights.

Edit: as well as putting an Air Commodore in charge of operations, Jacinda has also put one of her most competent ministers into a key role, pretty much sidelining the Health Minister who has now been demoted on the Labour Party list & looking even more like a soon to be former Minister after publicly blaming his Director General for the various problems. While the DG was standing right next to him!

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
75 new cases in Vic overnight. Impressive amount, hopefully this is all because of the blitz and it's not running rampant.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
75 new cases in Vic overnight. Impressive amount, hopefully this is all because of the blitz and it's not running rampant.
Hopefully, bit wary that undetected transmission means case numbers will be higher. Reckon Victoria will breach triple figures in the coming days.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The daughter says they are testing everyone they can find and a lot of folks are asymptomatic. May not be as bad as the media says it is.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Interesting decisions ahead for some state governments. Does Vic try and implement local lockdowns of municipal areas? China did it but their citizens are a tad more subservient than ours... Also interesting watching the officials try and delicately explain the outbreaks are largely among big ethnic families where the message has been "lost in translation" without dog whistling too much. Field day for some newspapers out there.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yep that is better news and if we're honest with ourselves, it's going to be this way for a little while. There will be spot fires that will need to be dealt with swiftly. The key thing will be having teams who can respond rapidly and make sure the testing regime can scale as needed.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Well, QLD's border announcement is frustrating but fair enough. Means the girlfriend & I are going to "WFH" with family in Sydney for 2 weeks before going to QLD.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
From the NY Times Coronavirus Briefing dated 29 June.

A nightmare side effect

Many severely ill patients have developed a terrifying condition that causes nightmarish visions and can have long-lasting consequences. Known as hospital delirium, the phenomenon, which was observed mostly in older people before the pandemic, has struck Covid-19 patients of all ages.

Reports suggest that about two-thirds to three-quarters of virus patients who end up in intensive-care units, even for relatively short stays, have experienced the condition. Their hospitalization often provides the perfect combination of elements: long stints on ventilators, heavy sedatives, poor sleep, minimal social interaction.

Delirium takes two forms — hyperactive, which leads to paranoid hallucinations and agitation, and hypoactive, which causes internalized visions and confusion. Some people experience both.

Recovered virus patients have described thinking they were being abducted or burned alive. Even after their visions go away, the condition can slow the healing process and increase the risk of depression or post-traumatic stress. Older patients can also develop dementia sooner than they otherwise would have, and even die earlier.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I just got tested at one of the drive in clinics in Melbourne. I must say apart from the actual swab shoved down your nostril, it's a pretty pleasant & efficient experience and everyone should be commended on a job well done. No appointment needed, just rocked up. Did have to wait about an hour in the car but you just sit in the car reading emails. Everyone was very polite and the nurses & soldiers were chill, though it was jolting to see people in fatigues.

Heaps of signs up saying "Please don't abuse staff". Honestly what bellend goes about abusing people literally putting themselves at risk to test you.

Now, I do and do not have COVID for the next 24 hours which is exciting.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I just got tested at one of the drive in clinics in Melbourne. I must say apart from the actual swab shoved down your nostril, it's a pretty pleasant & efficient experience and everyone should be commended on a job well done. No appointment needed, just rocked up. Did have to wait about an hour in the car but you just sit in the car reading emails. Everyone was very polite and the nurses & soldiers were chill, though it was jolting to see people in fatigues.

Heaps of signs up saying "Please don't abuse staff". Honestly what bellend goes about abusing people literally putting themselves at risk to test you.

Now, I do and do not have COVID for the next 24 hours which is exciting.
Do you have symptoms or is it part of the blitz? Good luck either way.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Do you have symptoms or is it part of the blitz? Good luck either way.

No symptoms fortunately. Don't think we really fall in to any category (don't live in a hotspot). We're escaping the affectionally nicknamed Sicktoria and heading north to Sydney to move in with family for the immediate future. One family member is a GP so before we're allowed to move in we have to show we're COVID free.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I was reading that with the amount of tests occurring right now, people weren’t receiving their results for a few days...........

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
My daughter got tested last week, due to having some of the symptoms, but mostly out of precaution by her school. Test negative and back within 24 hours by text message.

Obviously things in WA are a lot quieter on that front.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
My daughter got tested last week, due to having some of the symptoms, but mostly out of precaution by her school. Test negative and back within 24 hours by text message.

Obviously things in WA are a lot quieter on that front.

Yeah, I know quite a few people who've had the test and the results generally came back the next day.............. but with the amount of testing being done around here now I've heard it's taking a bit longer for people to get the results back.

People are being turned away at some sites in the afternoon as they're running out of kits.

I'm lucky as I'm a street away from being in a lock down suburb, which wasn't a hotspot but shares the same postcode with one.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My test in NSW a couple of weeks ago took about 24 hours to come back.

83707301_1110496022669875_1754097155121371579_n.png

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
People are being turned away at some sites in the afternoon as they're running out of kits.

I'm lucky as I'm a street away from being in a lock down suburb, which wasn't a hotspot but shares the same postcode with one.

Yeah, the first site we went to turned us away.

Slim, I think I vaguely knew you were a Melburnian, not tempted to get on the Rebels bandwagon? :D