• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Craft beer thread

Paper

Frank Nicholson (4)
Doing some "research" recently, I stumbled on Beer Advocate website via my friend, Uncle Google. http://beeradvocate.com/

Anyone from here on there as a member or have some comment to make about it?

Seems a fairly decent website, with some tragic and passionate Beer Snobs posting their thoughts.

Follow on Question: What are the best Craft Beer Websites?

Crafty Pint seems fairly good and Aussie focused. http://craftypint.com/

I'm on untappd.com as https://untappd.com/user/HughJ

I'm a member on BeerAdvocate. It's a good site with a lot of good content added to it by users, but the Alstrom Bros that run it are a**holes. So i minimise my contributions there. It's very US focused, but it's a good place to review beers and venues and it has a relatively active Australian forum.

Talkbeer.com spawned out of the people that BeerAdvocate banned on several purges in the last year or two. It has some the most knowledgeable beer people around. Limited Australian content though.

Untappd is alright, i'm not on it.

RateBeer is good for reviewing or ticking beer, but the Australian forum has more tumbleweeds blowing through it than posts made by users.

CraftyPint is good for news. Likewise www.theshout.com.au and www.brewsnews.com.au

Hope that helps

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
My Wife's Bitter from Burleigh Brewing
I finally got a chance to sample a few of these today on the Gold Coast. I'd have to say that the beer doesn't rely on having a clever name - it's certainly worth picking up a six pack if you see it in your local.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I went to Murray's Brewery last week.
I had the Brewer's Lunch with a glass of RudeBoy Pilsner and Mrs. Boyo had Whale Ale beer-battered fish & chips with a glass of Skinny Dip Sauv Blanc.
Whilst there I also had Moon Boy Golden Ale.
I also imbibed Angry Man Pale Ale and Punch & Judy's Ale (not in the same session).

My favourites so far are Angry Man and Moon Boy.

http://www.murraysbrewingco.com.au/index.php

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lucky bugger @boyo. Murrays do make some good beers. Did Mrs Boyo have a taste of Rude Boy? Many female visitors to Chez Jarse have liked the Rude Boy.

I hear that the Rocks Brewery are about to open a new brewery showroom in Alexandria very soon.

Also came across Batch Brewing Company American Pale Ale over the weekend. Rather nice drop if a little heavy on the hops. They brew out of Marrickville on Sydenham Road according to their web site. Might have to pop in for a taste before the footy season proper starts.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I tried a Matso's Pearler Pale Ale. Made in Broome. I really enjoyed it. I have yet to figure it why I like some Pale Ales and not others. But the Pearler, was err........a pearler.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I tried a Matso's Pearler Pale Ale. Made in Broome. I really enjoyed it. I have yet to figure it why I like some Pale Ales and not others. But the Pearler, was err....a pearler.

I hear that. There are definitely different varieties of pales out there. Coopers has always been great and is a reference for me, but in the last couple of years I've really started to enjoy West Coast US pales too. I can certainly detect a difference between what they label as an IPA and how it's made in Australia or the UK. In truth I think I'm starting to lean towards the stuff coming out of California and Oregon, though with that said, I'm rather partial to Punk IPA out of Aberdeen.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
P.S.

I meant to include this in my previous post:-

GetAttachment.aspx

I'm sorry that the image is upside-down - I couldn't copy the image that was right way up.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>

And Statler and Waldorf

What a great name for a Craft beer pub? Can just see it now. The two old buggers arguing:

W. "They have too much hops in that beer. I don't like it so bitter, it's rubbish"

S. "Well, that Ale you like is too cloudy and tastes too malty"

W. "No it's not. What would you know? It is fresh Hops cones not that processed hops pellets. That is why it is so nice."

S. "It isn't a real Ale anyway. The German style is much better. They really know how to blend the hops with the malts... etc etc."

Like so many other discussions on beer.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good Book, Get it for 20 bucks from Dan Murphy.

blog-0716913001383478160.png

Quote from a review at http://aussiehomebrewer.com/blog/161/entry-458-australian-new-zealand-beer-buyers-guide/

The Australian & New Zealand Beer Buyers Guide is edited by Ian Kingham, and has a sell price of around $25. This paperback weighs in at 268 pages and includes plenty of colour photos, illustrations and charts. It is a well laid out and visually pleasing book that makes an easy read in whatever order you choose to do it. All pictures seem to be up to date, including those of the hundreds (or is that thousands) of beer bottle photos included. There probably is no other current publication that covers this much ground, with as much relevance to the domestic beer scene.

The book has been produced by the publishers of Beer And Brewer Magazine, and is widely available through bookshops, selected newsagents, brewery’s, homebrew shops, Dan Murphy stores nationally, and directly from the publisher atwww.beerandbrewer.com/books

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
My local bws had beer tasting last night which I stumbled into by chance. Mcclaren vale was on the menu and I bought the vale ale for the first time. It's choice bro.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
If either Brewski or Statler & Waldorf have a decent function room how's about one of the Brisbane boys book it for pre and post games drinks when the Tahs visit in July. Plenty of time to ask them to have two brews each from Queensland and New South Wales on tap. AND a Vale Ale.

Met up with ShtinaTina and matty_k at The Local Taphouse after Friday's game, ran a Holgate ESB across my tongue. Delicious. There seems to be a trend among craft brewers to put as much hops as possible in the kettle in an attempt to get the IBUs up towards the 80 mark (years ago an IBU rating in the middle 20s was considered too bitter), the Holgate crew seemed to've resisted this and produced a beautifully balanced brew which I could've quite happily sucked on all night. Alas, a car trip home to the beautiful Blue Mountains beckoned.....:(

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So who would you have in a Craft Beer State of the Union Face off at Brewski's?

Pacific Ale and 4 Pines Pale Ale to represent the Tahs

vs

XXXX Gold:) FIGJAM IPA and My Wife's Bitter to represent the Reds.

The McLaren Vale offering off the bench is likely to be beat the Reds "representatives".

If we take this to its logical conclusion, the Force would have to be favourites for the 2014 Australian Beer Conference, closely followed by the Rebels and Tahs in a photo finish.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I tried a few craft beers on the weekend.

Dad and Dave's #1 Pale Ale
Murray's Angry Man Pale Ale
Stone IPA
Boatrocker Alpha Queen Ale

Good times.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
As an idiot who is doing Febfast I am getting plenty of material for breaking that fast. Keep it coming. Only 16 days to go!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
One of the boys in my team at work brought in some home brew he's been working on. It's got Galaxy hops in it and it's bloody delicious.