• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Craft beer thread

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If you can get your hands on this special Brew from Mountain Goat, then grab it with haste.

Mountain_Goat-Rare_Breed_India_Red_Ale.png

Rare Breed : India Red Ale. Bitter as the Mother in Law. Lovely hops aromas, Strong Malts. Dark Red colour. A bloody top drop.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Stocked up this weekend and got that one in a selection Jarse so will def be trying it come the weekend.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Blue, I don't think you will be disappointed. I should have mentioned in the post above that it is not cheap but then in beer, as in life, you often get what you pay for.

Further as has already been stated here: Life is too short to drink crap beer.

Life is also too short to drink crap wine, or crap single malt.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
I'd be interested in what everyone thought was the best value beer going around - regardless of origins.

Most craft Beer's sell at the $60-$80 a case range (including congomerate 'Craft Beers' ie James Squires etc)
Domestic at about $50-$60

I would have to say DOS Equis XX Dark Lager at about $40 is pretty good. None of the lightness of a normal Cervesa style - more flavour.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Coopers Pale at $50 a carton from Dan Murphy's is excellent value for mine. The Sparkling is about the same. Why drink Vic Bitter when for about $5 more you can drink a real beer?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Got into the Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen yesterday.

I love a wheat beer and especially a German inspired one. This one ticked all of the boxes. A must try in my book if you don't mind a beer with some character.

I only got the opportunity to neck it from a stubbie, I'm going to get another sixer for the weekend and try it from a glass. I expect it will be even better.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm a bit of a fan of the Sierra Nevada guys. One of the great pleasures of living in the US was being able to get a six pack of their pale ale from a supermarket for about USD10 when I was there.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Oak Barrel have just announced details of their Sydney Craft Beer and Cider Fair for 2014. This year it's been moved to a larger venue, the Australian Hall at 150 Elizabeth Street; it's on Saturday, 14 June. Read here: http://craftbeerandcider.com.au/?ut...il&utm_term=0_a33b799c16-efb7f2356a-309255645

What to do? Get stuck into some delicious craft beers or fly down to Melbourne to watch the Wallabies take on France at Etihad that evening..... :(

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
The Oak Barrel have just announced details of their Sydney Craft Beer and Cider Fair for 2014. This year it's been moved to a larger venue, the Australian Hall at 150 Elizabeth Street; it's on Saturday, 14 June. Read here: http://craftbeerandcider.com.au/?utm_source=The Oak Barrels Subscribers&utm_campaign=efb7f2356a-OB_Newsletter_2014-03-12&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_a33b799c16-efb7f2356a-309255645

What to do? Get stuck into some delicious craft beers or fly down to Melbourne to watch the Wallabies take on France at Etihad that evening... :(

There is no losing here Lindo. You either get to drink excellent beer and then watch the Wallabies on TV or you get to drink some less excellent beer watching the Wallabies live.

No sympathy from here :)

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
Murray's new session IPA is a pretty easy drink. had a chat with the brewer yesterday and this was their first unfiltered batch using a Hop-Back process. The boiled Wort is passed through a type of seive that is filled with fresh cones. The heat from the wort extracts all of the Hop-goodness before being sent off for fermentation.

The growler didn't take much effort to drink. It's called the Dog House IPA.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Tried a couple of new beers (to me anyway) on Friday night:

Eagle Bay Pale Ale [Yallingup/Margaret River]
Anchor Liberty Ale [San Francisco]

Both of them great, though I enjoyed the EBPA the most. Our local bottlo is carrying more and more of these craft beers. Great stuff.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>
....Murrays .... Hop Back process......

The growler didn't take much effort to drink. It's called the Dog House IPA.

Perhaps it is global warming, but I am finding that once I open a growler, the contents usually evaporate at a very great rate. Either that or one of the bloody kids, or the dog must knock it over because I seem to find the bottom of the container far too quickly.

The Hop Back process that Murrays are using sounds a bit like what they do at Little Creatures.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Ye olde England amped up

THE craft beer juggernaut shows no signs of slowing down, with King Bill IV in Maitland
the latest to join the ranks.
On the site of the former Two Fat Cheeks at 436 High Street, the revamped venue has taken its theme, and name, from ye olde England, but still has the tastes and colours of Maitland.
‘‘There’s a plaque behind the bar that says ‘Free House to King William IV’,’’ said general manager Michael Standen, formerly of the Albion.
‘‘One of the guys involved [in King Bill IV] used to own a pub in England called the King William, so when he sold his pub he kept the plaque. This thing is literally from the 16th or 17th century, so we thought we’d name it after that.’’
King Bill IV serves 100per cent craft beer on its 12 rotating taps with a focus on Australian, as well as English, US, Belgian and New Zealand brews. There are plans to fit a traditional hand pump in the coming months. Try a few in a beer paddle, or for the non-beer drinkers, there is plenty to choose from in the boutique wine selection.
The menu, by chef Anton Stephenson, carries on the decidedly English theme, but uses as much local produce as possible. You’ll find scoobs (entrees) such as Janga chips, lamb cutlets, pocket potatoes and lettuce cups; buckets of chicken wings, prawns and ribs (Michael believes there’s ‘‘no one human that could finish a bucket’’); food shields (pizzas); feasts (mains) including pea and ham hock soup, a steak burger and Pig Wellington with Yorkshire puds; and even options for the wee tackers.
They’ve kept the deli, so customers can still grab wraps and croissants to take away, as well as cakes, baked goods, great cheeses and a selection of meats.
King Bill IV is open for breakfast and lunch from Monday to Wednesday, 9am to 6pm, and for dinners on Thursday to Sunday until 10pm. With live music set for Friday and Saturday nights, this is a venue designed to accommodate everyone from mums and bubs to the more serious craft beer aficionados.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Discovered Batch Brewing Company the other day. Brewery is in Sydenham Road Marrickville, just down from the train station.

Junior Jarse went there the other day and brought some product home. It didn't last long.
I have had a Batch APA at the Forest Lodge Hotel, but not sure where else you can get the product apart from going to Marrickville.

http://batchbrewingco.com.au/

If you see it at the Bottlo or on tap, give it a go. I've recently tried most of their offerings, and if you can get your hands on any, you will not be disappointed.

Paper

Frank Nicholson (4)
I'd be interested in what everyone thought was the best value beer going around - regardless of origins.

Most craft Beer's sell at the $60-$80 a case range (including congomerate 'Craft Beers' ie James Squires etc)
Domestic at about $50-$60

I would have to say DOS Equis XX Dark Lager at about $40 is pretty good. None of the lightness of a normal Cervesa style - more flavour.

Best value for me is anything from Sierra Nevada or Founders or Ballast Point Big Eye (the fresher stuff has the white label). Basically around $75 - $125 a case for stuff that is generally some of the best for the style. Just need to be wary on BB dates on the Pale Ales and IPA's.