• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Craft beer thread

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Always a fan of Vale, even more so now they sponsor G&GR

Damn you gents and your local boutique beer shops. It's bloody hard to get much but your standard brews out here, unless you pay through the nose or are heading east and have room on the way back.

Wheatman, try this site www.beercartel.com.au They have some brilliant beers. Delivery is reasonable.

Funny small shop tucked away in the car park of the industrial area in Artarmon. Trades under Porters.

If anyone makes the journey to Porters, drop into the Flat Rock brew cafe in the next Suburb, Naremburn. Well worth a vist or two or three.......

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just trying the Vale Lager. It's a winner for hot summer days. Easy to drink but not flavourless like a lot of beers going around these days.

The tasting notes on their website are pretty accurate. http://www.mvbeer.com/beers

I think I'd like it even more if it was $10 less a carton though.

Wheatman

Chris McKivat (8)
Thanks @p.tah having a look right now. You can never have tried enough different beers (unless it's all at once) :D

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
[quote="Vanuatu Chiefs, post: 540586]PS. Was reading one of those celebrity shopping trolley type articles last week which featured Eamon Sullivan. His brew of choice is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale which I'm yet to try. Any reviews?[/quote]

Tried it on tap at the union in Newtown, exceptional beer, would love to get more

Vanuatu Chiefs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Caught up with a few mates in Newtown on Thursday. Tried & enjoyed a few "Young Henry's" for the first time at The Marlborough.

Keeping your tip in mind @Moses I wandered down King St to The Union in search of my inaugural Sierra Nevada Pale Ale only to be deflated by the barman's words: "We haven't had it for about a month"!

Another Young Henry's still went down well.

On my next trip to Sydney I'll try again plus hunt down GAGR's sponsor's brew, Vale.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
@moses and I went to Harts pub Meet the brewer at last years Sydney Craft Beer Week.

I'm going again this year - Cracking night

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
^^ Any details on that event @gibbo, or do we need to go see uncle google?
If Google is your uncle, you can afford it, Hugh.
$90.00 for all the craft beer and finger food you want. And you get to bend the brewer's ear. Unfortunately, I will be on call and unable to attend.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Had the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale again last night x 5.
Also try the Torpedo if you like the hoppy IPA style.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
If you like the Torpedo - Track down the Sierra Nevada - Hoptimum 8.2% ABV and like sticking your head in a bucket of steeped Hops.

Also their Southern Hemispshere 2013 Harvest is out. It's a bit young at the moment but its fun to age these. Try it against the 2012 to see how well the Malts mature

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Thanks Gibbo, just when I was wondering what to do this weekend I can now have a mini project of tracking down the other Sierra Nevada brews.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sydney Craft Beer week web page here: http://sydneycraftbeerweek.com/

Lots of stuff happening. This web site has me feeling like a Kid in a lolly shop on pocket money day.

Dan Hampton's website www.beersnobs.com.au doesn't seem to be working.:(

Today's drop is a growler of Doctors Orders Synapse.

Rather heavy on the malt, it's a dark beer without the usual heaviness of the darks. Bitter and dry. Good afternoon and spring BBQ beer.

Legal age Jarse gives it a thumbs up. "Looks like a stout, but isn't. Love the malty taste".
La Jarse not interested in tasting on the basis of colour of the drink. It really looks like a stout.

Jarse score = 100% of tasters liked Dr's Orders Synapse.

Check this web site out for feedback on other beers:
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/mclaren-vale-ipa/148202/

a good resource for beer snobs.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
I'm a big fan of this place
http://www.flatrockbrewcafe.com.au
Being within walking distance helps too.
They're also doing a craft beer week event
http://sydneycraftbeerweek.com/events/event/women-of-beer/
Women Of Beer

This event is on Monday, 21st October, 2013 6:00 pm

Venue Flat Rock Brew Cafe
Price $50
Starts Monday, 21st October, 2013 6:00 pm
Ends Monday, 21st October, 2013 9:00 pm
Description
Who knew there were so many women involved in the delightful world of craft beer?
This is your chance to join Danielle Allen from Two Birds Brewing, Karen Golding from Red Hill Brewery and Beth Williams of Hargreaves Hill for an evening of beer chatter, minus the burly bloke brewers! You will get the chance to taste two beers from each brewery in a relaxed and informal tasting of some of the most exciting craft brews, producers, and female collaborators in the Australian industry today. Matched food also included. Boys allowed!

Paper

Frank Nicholson (4)
If you like the Torpedo - Track down the Sierra Nevada - Hoptimum 8.2% ABV and like sticking your head in a bucket of steeped Hops.

Also their Southern Hemispshere 2013 Harvest is out. It's a bit young at the moment but its fun to age these. Try it against the 2012 to see how well the Malts mature

Harvest is a fresh hop beer. Don't age it. It's designed to showcase the hop flavour and aroma, not to be cellared. Store in a fridge and drink fresh.

As the saying goes, if you wan't something old and jaded inside you, try Craigslist and avoid the calories