• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Craft beer thread

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm in Hamburg at the moment and I have to say I'm quite impressed with Vielanker Winterbock. Now, a very few of you may recall that I usually drink Tooheys New but I have to confess to being one of those who, upon reading the tasting notes on a wine bottle, instantly recognises all those "hint of this", "lingering taste of that" so I will resort to ratemybeer.com to describe it. Given the ratings of this particular beer on that site, I am now making note to look for some of the other Dunkler Bocks mentioned on that page.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
How brave of him. Waits until he quits the two largest brewers in Australia and joins a craft brewery before making the call.

But he really isn't saying anything we didn't already know.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well, today's beer (Vielanker Dunkel) has received an interesting appraisal in http://www.bier-index.de:
"If one were to compare beers with schoolwork, so would the "Vielanker Dark" the uninspired German essay of a fourth grader."

Ouch!

It's not as nice as the Winter Bock(s) that I had yesterday but I don't mind it despite this damning review:
"The malty sweet smell continues in Antrunk. The body, however, is then much too watery. Totally out of line. In the finish at first continues the malty sweetness, before the Vielanker with a heavy club beats drauflos bitterness. I personally like the somewhat, but it is still something inappropriate. In Conclusion remain good ideas, but unfortunately lost in the many improper factors. I'm of two minds in the highest degree."
And in two minds I remain. Still I'm happy to give the remaining three bottles a fair trial.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You are in beer heaven @2BluesFan. Enjoy.

There are a bunch of us suffering in 35 degrees (c), and drinking new world brews, meanwhile you are in 35 degrees (F) and drinking centuries old crafted brews. Lucky you. Enjoying reading your feedback on the "Beer of the Day".

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Should have posted this before the journey up North.

Where does one get a good selection of Craft Beers in Bris-Vegas?

Found the Craft Wine Shop in Red Hill this morning but their range a little limited and staff not all that helpful.

Dan Murphy is Dan Murphy, and range is only the "big names".

Help is needed because it is hot up here and hydration is important in the heat.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Settling in for a good session across the range of product being sourced in today's hunting mission.

"Angry Man" (Murrays) followed by "My Wife's Bitter" (Burleigh Brewing). How good are the names?

On the menu for today are:
Hop Hog IPA(the benchmark IPA from Feral)
Hop Hog Pale Ale from Feral Brewing,
Mountain Goat IPA,
Two Birds Summer Ale
My Wife's Bitter from Burleigh Brewing
Tui IPA from NZ
McLaren Vale IPA (a cracker and one of the sponsors best)
McLaren Vale Dark

Typing may degrade as the day wears on.
I love the holiday season. Nowhere to drive.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Settling in for a good session across the range of product being sourced in today's hunting mission.

On the menu for today are:
Hop Hog IPA(the benchmark IPA from Feral)
Hop Hog Pale Ale from Feral Brewing,
Hmm. Packaged differently, taste different, but allegedly the same.

Must be different batches or the beer fairies have hit the taste buds early today.
Google (and Feral Web Site) doesn't help to explain the differences between labeling, packaging and taste.
mail

In the words of the Ipswich Ranga, "Please Explain".

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I've been on a Pilsner run lately. Had the Carslberg Elephant yesterday. It certainly ain't subtle. Not my idea of a great Pilsner for straight drinking, though as an accompaniment to a meal I think it could shine.

Rolling with some Little Creatures Pilsner tonight.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Today, I (re)turned to a wheat beer: Schofferhofer Weizen. The label claims "Prickelt Langer, als man trinkt" which my pidgin German skills suggests means something along the lines of "Tingles even after you have finished drinking", make of that what you will. A fairly typical wheat beer. I have some more dunkels for tomorrow but may look for some more Winter Bock for Boxing Day.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
It's Boxing Day in Hamburg - started out clear and quite warm for this time of year but gradually deteriorated to a quite cold and drizzly evening. I sampled a couple of Warsteiner Premium Verum, a brew that I note has been described as "a good session beer" - a term that I am slightly confused by, as I am sure Bellytwoblues and Ryan09 would attest to knowing as they would that a session for me would be 2 or perhaps 3 beers. I imagine that by now, most readers could surmise that I can highly recommend a visit to Germany at this time of year.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Munich is palaying host to me for a bit. A sunny but cool afternoon here and I haven't got much time to look at beers so I grab a six-pack of Bergadler Premium Pils from the local supermarket, shaking my head at the excessive price of 2.29 euros for the pack (excluding the refundable deposit on the bottles). I swear, Bavaria is going down the tubes with these prices - that is almost 40 euro cents or 62 Aussie cents per half litre bottle.

Turning to the beer itself, I would have to say it is unlikely to win any awards - in some respects it is the VB or Tooheys New of German pilseners - very drinkable but not particularly noteworthy.

The Bergadler motto of "beste rohstoffe garantieren hochsten genuss" appears to roughly translate to "best raw materials guarantee highest enjoyment".

I was watching an article on German beer brewing last night that raised a growing problem - the German purity laws are causing some brewers problems as they want to experiment with other styles and methods etc but are restricted by the law if they want to describe their product as beer. Some are apparently considering brewing English style ales, I kid you not.

A few more days in Munich before I rejoin my better half in Manchester for a couple of weeks travelling around there and the Cotswolds.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
A crisp -2 degrees at 8AM in Munich but the skies are the bluest I've seen in Europe. A fine day to sample a Munich institution - Augustiner Lagerbier Hell. These Helles Vollbiers (literally "bright full beers") are fairly common in Bavaria but this particular one is apparently the most popular.

A simple yet tasty beer, easy to settle on for a moderate session. Highly recommended.

Paper

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hmm. Packaged differently, taste different, but allegedly the same.

Must be different batches or the beer fairies have hit the taste buds early today.
Google (and Feral Web Site) doesn't help to explain the differences between labeling, packaging and taste.
mail

In the words of the Ipswich Ranga, "Please Explain".

They repackaged their bottled range and added Sly Fox to it.

Feral use the term IPA and Pale Ale whenever it suits them for Hop Hog. Very handy when it comes to beer awards. It is the same beer.

Could taste differently due to how fresh each are and if they've been refrigerated or not. Feral don't bottle date and have the belief that stamping a bottle date on the carton is sufficient...i'm sure next time we visit Woolworths Liquor or Dan Murphy's the 18 year old staffer will be able to track down the carton from the recycling to tell us how old the beer is...

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
In a cold and grey Manchester at the moment. Was fortunate enough to have a few J W Lees Bitters last night at the Thornham Cricket Club. It's a easy drinking, smooth drink, true to the type. A man could settle in for quite a few of these.