• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket - AUS v PAK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The fact remains that there poor batting was the reason for the low score, and Ponting should be castigated for his get out shot causing his first ball duck, not his decision to bat first.

(I thought about the Warne 4th innings thing as I was writing that, but honestly I reckon Warne would back himself to get a bag whenever he bowled.)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
And screw two chicks while doing it.

I look at it like the Gregan situation - he was in the team for far too long (and we weren't even winning!) and those poor things he did are forgotten as we remember "that" tackle and his leadership at RWC2003.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Maybe, but in a team that is undergoing a lot of changes it isn't always a good idea to change leadership, particularly when that leader is the only left of the world class mob that made this team great. I'm backing him to come out of his form slump with a good couple of innings sooner or later. His leadership may always be a little hit and miss (sometimes great, sometimes poor), but when his batting is on there is no bowler that can stop him.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
No.

But he was on his own patch against inexperienced opposition who drew a Test series with New Zealand a couple of weeks before. I don't think any of those second innings wickets in Sydney was more than proof that shit gets wickets.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
NTA said:
Scotty said:
when his batting is on there is no bowler that can stop him.

Remind me the last time that happened over the course of, say, a series?

When was the last time he totally dominated a series? Not for a while. But that is no grounds for any action. I think he is past his prime for sure, but still the best number 3 in Australia by a country mile. His 57 in the first dig of the Melbourne test was exhillarating, he totally took them apart in quick time. Admittedly he then got himself out, but he is still showing enough of his former self to justify a place for another year.

Also the fact that we aren't exacty bursting with quality top order batsmen helps him hold his place.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Noddy said:
anyone know the last Aussie finger spinner to get five-fors in consecutive tests?

a quick scout leads me to believe it was Roo Yardley circa 82ish against the Windies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
from The Australian today

Ricky Ponting foreshadows his shift down order

RICKY Ponting will consider moving down the batting order if he believes there is a better candidate available for the pivotal number three position. While Ponting does not expect his place in the batting line-up to change in the foreseeable future, and certainly not during the third Test against Pakistan in Hobart, beginning tomorrow, it is significant he is willing to broach the issue.

Simon Katich returns following an elbow injury to replace Phil Hughes in the only change to the side which claimed such a spectacular victory in Sydney past week. Ponting is also much improved after an arm injury restricted him in the last two Tests and is likely to abandon the use of an arm guard he has reluctantly worn since suffering the blow in Perth a month ago. The injury has had a major bearing on why he is averaging just 27 in five Tests this summer, his worst performance in nine seasons.

Ponting turned 35 last month and there is a gathering debate over whether, after 14 prolific years of international cricket, he should consider moving down the order and let a younger batsman take on fresher bowlers and a newer ball. Former greats such as Viv Richards, Clive Lloyd, Allan Border and Greg Chappell dropped themselves down the order later in their careers. "If I don't think I'm the right person to bat there then I won't bat there," Ponting told The Australian yesterday.

The article omitted Ian Chappell. Has Punter been reading my blogs?

I'd like to see the batting order something like this:

Katich
Hughes/Jaques/Rogers
Clarke
Ponting
Watson
Hussey

Clarke should be told in no uncertain terms it's time he accepted more responsibility and goes in at first drop. Hussey seems to have a wonderful ability to reap runs with the bowlers. Go with it, selectors.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
i like it lindo. but i worry that unless clarke ups his game a bit, the innings might stall with him coming in earlier. he seems to be plodding too much to me lately. hopefully he can change to fit the role - i don't want another dravid.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The problem at the moment, Newb, is both Punter and Lara's sb are both injured: Ponting with his elbow and Clarke's back. We can probably get away with it at the moment, but if either or both injuries don't heal changes should be made.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
3/80 at lunch on Day 1 and its advantage to the pakies. The bad back and bad elbow are likely to get a good workout if Aus are to post a respectable 1st innings total.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I reckon the hairy armed tasmanian really wants a hundgy today, home ground and short on runs...

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well he got it, 101 to Punter with Clarke moving along as well. Both seems to be scoring freely now. Can they bat out to full sessions?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yep.

Well batted the pair of them, but this Paki attack is fairly toothless and on a flat deck too.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Ponting is just 127 short of his highest test and first class score. Cmon Ricky, this IS what you do when the press dare to suggest you’re in a form slump.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ponting 203 now, Clarke decided he had scored enough on 166. Another 50 to 100 runs will probably see a declaration.

North is on a hdiing to nothing here. Even if he gets 30-40 not out, it won';t be enough to save him if he fails again in the next series in NZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.