• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket: Aus vs Proteas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah if Kallis can work on a big ton and let the guys at the other end do the hitting, the Proteas are home and hosed. We will rue the idiocy of some of our batting, and not giving guys like Harris more credit. Surely Ponting and Hayden are getting past it?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah, I'd have to say the Proteas are in the box seat.
Hayden - just go mate.
Ponting - a bad trot but I think he has plenty left in him.
If we get Kallis early we'd be back in front, but if not...

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Kallis gone with a fifty and still some work needs to be done to knock off the 100 + runs. Still anyones test this one but I am glad at least our lot show some fight. Usually teams get rolled over in their 2nd innigs with a 400+ goal. Our lot will be better in the 2nd test

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
They'll play Haydos in the boxing day test but that could be it. Babbarian. Go back and see Michael Clarkes average before debut. Plus we've all overlooked Mick Klinger who IS the form batsman at the moment, let alone openner.

But bowling. Lee out of form or just lost it? Siddle aint up to it. I'd have Nofke (injured), Hilfenhaus, Bracken, Tait, Magoffin and possibly Dorey ahead of him.

Krezjas worth sticking with though I reckon.

Great work by SAF. Fantastically timed chase and very good 2nd innings bowling.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Noddy said:
They'll play Haydos in the boxing day test but that could be it. Babbarian. Go back and see Michael Clarkes average before debut. Plus we've all overlooked Mick Klinger who IS the form batsman at the moment, let alone openner.

Yeah, I would take your point if we were talking about Marsh in isolation. But we aren't- we have a young batsman with a BETTER average than both Marsh and Clarke, so surely that shouldn't be ignored??

Klinger is in great touch, but I would be surprised if they pick him to fill Hayden's spot. I just have this feeling that they will turn to either Hughes or Rogers.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Our lot usually fire in the second one and now will go for the kill, make no mistake. Dont know the piches but Harris sure did his bit and Steyn & Morkel still have to fire.

Pretty glad with this win and now back from the beach and red like a crayfisk playing beach cricket. Tonight I'll make a lekka chicken pot and enjoy the win. Ideal Xmast gift!

F

formeropenside

Noddy said:

But bowling. Lee out of form or just lost it? Siddle aint up to it. I'd have Nofke (injured), Hilfenhaus, Bracken, Tait, Magoffin and possibly Dorey ahead of him.

The problem is, Lee has never really *had* it save for two 12 months period when he burst onto the scene and then right after Ooh-Aah retired. He bowls a few overs at 150+ per innings (or rather he used to) and then the balance in the low 130s. He does not swing or seam the ball noticeably. Dennis Lillee gave a masterclass on how to age gracefully as a fast bowler all those years ago, and its a shame not many seem to have learned that lesson.

Krejza looks good, but needs to tighten up a little.

I wonder if Watson might have been a better bet than Siddle, or whether Symonds should have been given a few more overs.

Finally, the WACA test wicket needs to stop being a road.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
Noddy said:

The problem is, Lee has never really *had* it save for two 12 months period when he burst onto the scene and then right after Ooh-Aah retired. He bowls a few overs at 150+ per innings (or rather he used to) and then the balance in the low 130s. He does not swing or seam the ball noticeably. Dennis Lillee gave a masterclass on how to age gracefully as a fast bowler all those years ago, and its a shame not many seem to have learned that lesson.

Krejza looks good, but needs to tighten up a little.

I wonder if Watson might have been a better bet than Siddle, or whether Symonds should have been given a few more overs.

Finally, the WACA test wicket needs to stop being a road.
Lee's recent quotes suggest he thinks he's still "young" and capable of bowling even faster - clearly insight is low, and he has the standard Aus cricketer sense of their own immortality! I have seen little evidence of his becoming cleverer.
I am surprised Bracken has not been more in the mix - clearly one of the few decent swing bowlers we have.
Siddle looked like a journeyman, but it's early days I guess.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Firstly, congrats to SA on a well deserved win. Oz didn't look like taking a wicket after Kallis got out. From memory they only had the one chance after lunch with the ball just out of Lee's reach.

As for fast bowlers what has happened to Bollinger? Took 53 wickets last year and went on the tour of India (didn't get a look in as far as tests go) and now seems to have fallen off the pace (pun not intended). Is he injured?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Aussie D said:
As for fast bowlers what has happened to Bollinger? Took 53 wickets last year and went on the tour of India (didn't get a look in as far as tests go) and now seems to have fallen off the pace (pun not intended). Is he injured?

Just got back from injury, and took a 6-for yesterday against SA. Certainly knocking on the door, but probably needs another big haul before he can be considered for a promotion.

At the moment I would be looking at Hilfenhaus in for Siddle. We are in desperate need of someone who can swing the ball. Siddle is solid but not a test level bowler IMO.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
So the 2nd one is in Melborne. Altho we are in sky 7 at the moment and all the praises , this is only the first battle won and the war far from over. As from the opposite side I think the diffirense between the two sides is that our experiense lot like Smith, Kallis, AB & Ntini set the example for the others to follow, Ponting & kie havent done the same and then Harris give us a much needed weapon where a guy like Warne cuase us lots of trouble. Thats the one you need a real quality match winner like him. Quickies, swing bowlers wont trouble our lot , Warne did that to us over many seasons.

The other problem you have is to which kind of pitch to propare now and now the target to feel safe in future.

We also have a nice little problem. JP Duminy have travel now for a year before getting a change and he took it with both hands. Thios open up a few options to Arthur. Drop Boucher and give AB the gloves. Drop Mckenzie and give AB the opening role. Prince have to be in the side.

I havent watch the cricket and follow it by radio and cricinfo but it sound like one hell of a battle.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Lee - I agree he has never really had anything. A couple of spells where he is almost unplayable, but they are very few and far between. Hardly ever gets a top 5 batsman out anymore.

Siddle - Doesn't look much either.

Watson - I think he is the most overrated cricketer in this country. Straight up and down with the ball, and no reall eye with the bat.
Tries to intimidate batsmen, but I'm sure they are just laughing on the inside. I will be very dissappointed if he ever plays for Australia again.

Hilfenhaus - I have been impressed every time I see him. We need someone that can actually move the ball through the air, and he is the one.

Krezja - Has the talent, but bowls too many bad balls when he tries to toss it up - also needs to learn to vary his speed more - something Harris did really well. I would like to see him get some games in a row, but just reading that he has been dropped for Hauritz - who can at least hold an end up and give the pacemen a break, but isn't going to win a test for us.

Hayden - I reckon he will get a ton in Melbourne and announce his retirement effective after Sydney.

Hussey - He is the one I am more worried about, and is a big part of the reason we lost - we have just assumed he will always make runs, but he has looked out of sorts, even in the field in this game. Amazing that we were even in such a position when 3 of our top 4 barely made any runs in this game.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Scotty said:
amazing that we were even in such a position when 3 of our top 4 barely made any runs in this game.

Putting aside the matter of Hayden's future for a moment, the recent inconsistency of Ponting, Clarke and Hussey is of great concern. These three have the ability to score mountains of runs and should form the backbone of Australia's batting lineup for the next five years. And then it's easy to imagine Clarke following Punter as Australian captain. Why aren't they scoring runs? Too much cricket? Not motivated enough?

Apart from our batting woes the bowling attack needs a lot of surgery. I read today Australia have taken 20 wickets only three times in the last seven tests, and two of them were against New Zealand. We're not going to win many tests if we can't bowl out the opposition. It's been very difficult getting over the retirement of McGrath and Warne, and the injury to Clark couldn't've come at a worse time. He really has been the glue keeping this attack together with his naggingly accurate bowling; I hope Punter now appreciates his worth and treats him better on his return. If we don't take 20 wickets in Melbourne Lee should be replaced by either Hilfenhaus or Bollinger. The spinner? Christ knows. No one's putting their hand up; maybe Krejza should be persevered with. The short-sighted attitude of the ACB dispensing with Lillee's and Jenner's services is now coming back to bite us on the arse.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lindommer said:
Scotty said:
amazing that we were even in such a position when 3 of our top 4 barely made any runs in this game.

Putting aside the matter of Hayden's future for a moment, the recent inconsistency of Ponting, Clarke and Hussey is of great concern. These three have the ability to score mountains of runs and should form the backbone of Australia's batting lineup for the next five years. And then it's easy to imagine Clarke following Punter as Australian captain. Why aren't they scoring runs? Too much cricket? Not motivated enough?

Apart from our batting woes the bowling attack needs a lot of surgery. I read today Australia have taken 20 wickets only three times in the last seven tests, and two of them were against New Zealand. We're not going to win many tests if we can't bowl out the opposition. It's been very difficult getting over the retirement of McGrath and Warne, and the injury to Clark couldn't've come at a worse time. He really has been the glue keeping this attack together with his naggingly accurate bowling; I hope Punter now appreciates his worth and treats him better on his return. If we don't take 20 wickets in Melbourne Lee should be replaced by either Hilfenhaus or Bollinger. The spinner? Christ knows. No one's putting their hand up; maybe Krejza should be persevered with. The short-sighted attitude of the ACB dispensing with Lillee's and Jenner's services is now coming back to bite us on the arse.

I think its harsh to include Clarke alongside Haydos, Punter and Hussey. Since the beginning of the Windes tour only Katich and Clarke have been scoring runs, in my mind. Punter is averaging just on 40, Hussey about 35 whilst Haydos is right down on 23. Katich is 60 and Clarke a snitch under 50.

But you are right about the bowlers. One of the interesting stats that kinda shows how much we are struggling with our bowling is that from the Windies tour to know we have used 19 players, 14 of which have bowled. So only Hayden, Haddin, Hodge and Jacques haven't bowled. It means we are trying anything (and anyone) to get wickets - Punter, Hussey, White, Hauritz, Symonds, Katich, MacGill, Clarke, Casson.

We are churning through bowlers.

What the hell is Troy Cooley doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.