• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket: Australia v. India v. Sri Lanka 2011/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Pattinson looks to be a star in the making. When cummins is back our bowling line up will look very good. Just need Watson back to even it out.

Drop Hilfy for Cummins I suspect, but Watson will be very handy. We haven't really got any middle ground between out and out pace and the spin. Hussey's sort of filling that spot but he's not a real solution to the problem.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Drop Hilfy for Cummins I suspect, but Watson will be very handy. We haven't really got any middle ground between out and out pace and the spin. Hussey's sort of filling that spot but he's not a real solution to the problem.
how can they drop hilffy?

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
isn't it good to be in a position of increasing strength with the fast bowling stocks though?

This hasn't happened since McGrath, Gillespie, Bichel, Kasprowicz, Reiffel were all at the top of their game............................who could forget Dizzy's 7/37 v England at Headingley in 97!!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
How good is test cricket? Is there a greater game?

I sincerely hope appropriate accolades are apportioned to Craig McDermott for his work with the fast bowlers. Getting their (long) length right has proved to be masterful together with the long-forgotten ability to swing the ball. Well done, Craig.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)

I sincerely hope appropriate accolades are apportioned to Craig McDermott for his work with the fast bowlers. Getting their (long) length right has proved to be masterful together with the long-forgotten ability to swing the ball. Well done, Craig.

this is the best comment on here.......Well done Lindommer.

One of the reasons the ball is now swinging is because they are pitching it up..........I wonder of Billy will teach them about that late dropping yorker he developed towards the end of his own career......that will test all your memories

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Hmmm - Craig McDermott should be talking to those who lost money on him.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
I like the look of James Pattinson. 20 wickets so far in his Test Career at 15.20. By comparison, the great DK Lillee had an average of 22.20 after 20 wickets

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
why is it great for the game?
They actually had a "look" about them for the first time in a long time - but they're batting lacks conviction. The short bowling spells could be a master stroke - pity McDermott probably deserves the credit.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
why is it great for the game?
They actually had a "look" about them for the first time in a long time - but they're batting lacks conviction. The short bowling spells could be a master stroke - pity McDermott probably deserves the credit.
Just as when Aus was #1 for so long, it was great for teams lower down the rankings to stick it to them. It didn't happen enough maybe. Now we are 5th or so, deservedly. India are 2nd ( I think?), so it's great for us to take them down in this Test.
India face the same problem Aus did a few years back - a lot of great players are going to go in the next couple of years. Succession planning might be a bit interesting.
I agree, our batting looks terribly brittle. I thought we'd lose, mainly because our batting would not be on par with theirs.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Indias problem, as always is that they struggle away from home. Their batsmen are great on home turf but pretty average away from home, except of course for the incomparable tendulkar. Apart from him their averages are inflated due to the roads they often play on.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'd say it's more a problem of consistency away from home. Most of their top line batsmen have had success away but not with the consistency required to be a long term #1 side.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I like that the team now has depth that it didn't have a couple of years ago. The bowling attack is looking good with 6 decent quicks in Cummins, Pattison, Harris, Siddle, Hilfy and Johnson, as well as a few young blokes in the shield. It allows the selectors to pick on form and accommodate for injury which allows for a more consistent attack.

I still rate Khawaja although I worry about his ability to make big runs at test level. I think the addition of a fit Watson, Paine and Harris will be the icing on the cake, but there is no point holding ones breath over their return.

I dont think this team will make it back to the top unless they firstly sure up the batting performances, and secondly once again find that ruthless edge that past australian teams had.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Harris back into the sqaud for the sydney test. I havnt seen any shield games at the SCG latley so I have no idea what the pitch is like, but traditionally speaking it seems like a massive gamble if they go with 4 quicks in sydney.

Shame that there is no shield on at the moment so that harris could have a smooth return to form.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I like the look of James Pattinson. 20 wickets so far in his Test Career at 15.20. By comparison, the great DK Lillee had an average of 22.20 after 20 wickets

Absofuckinglutely. Got a bit of fire about him by the looks as well. Can't half bat either.

Actually bowling some line and length at last - fuck me we might even bother the Poms

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The bowling stocks look promising for the next few years - Pattinson, Siddle, Hilfenhaus, Starc, Cummins, Mitch Johnson, Hazlewood - good mix of guys who can bring real pace, seam, swing and aggro. I hope the "team" bowling continues along this theme, and is not a false dawn. They seem to be working well as a unit.
The batting looks thin at the moment, but guys like Khawaja, Hughes might come strong, Warner may stamp his place. Marsh looks classy, despite a Test to forget. Given Paine looks dicey, we need a good keeper / batsman to replace Haddin soonish.

Status
Not open for further replies.