• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket: Australia v. India v. Sri Lanka 2011/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Any thoughts on Ben Cutting's chances on making the test side this year? I'm not sure how long his injury will keep him out.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
At the moment you'd be mad to move away from Siddle, Pattinson and Hilfenhaus. That was one of the best bowling performances I have seen in years, although it was on a deck that offered them a bit. The key to it was discipline- good line and length bowling to well-set fields. Stopped giving away easy singles and boundaries and the wickets came. And, surprise surprise, we have gone ahead in leaps and bounds without Mitch Johnson. I think his test career is on the rocks. We are executing plans that simply weren't possible when he was there, bowling a combination of unplayable deliveries (which got rarer and rarer) and complete shit (which got more and more frequent).

But I'm sure one of them will go down injured soon. That will open the door for Harris, who is a great bowler. Then Cutting, Copeland, Starc, Hazlewood. We are well-stocked for quicks. Now we just need our batsmen to score some fucking RUNS.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Totally agree Baabaa. In a format that's all about building pressure, Johnson had become the release valve for the oppo. Even worse is that he seemed to have become our talisman - and when he fucked up the shoulders slumped.

Is it just the tatts or is there an analogy with Quade here?

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Totally agree Baabaa. In a format that's all about building pressure, Johnson had become the release valve for the oppo. Even worse is that he seemed to have become our talisman - and when he fucked up the shoulders slumped.

Is it just the tatts or is there an analogy with Quade here?

Ditto on Johnson.
Not only does he not take wickets he leaks a shitload of runs & the way Pattison is batting I see no reason for Johnson to return to the test team or any national team.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It would seem Billy the Kid (Craig McDermott) has done a great job with the bowling attack in giving them bowling plans to bowl too. Unfortunately Justin Langer hasn't has similar success.

Perhaps the difference being that McDermott has a young bowling attack with points to prove and keen to impress, whereas JL doesn't.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Maybe JL is not the man for the job, who knows? In any event, bowling is more a collaborative effort - when Warne was killing it, McGrath was a big part in keeping the pressure on. McDermott has got them bowling good plans, and working as a unit. Batting is more individual - if you're out of form it's as mental as anything to get it back, and relies less on a group approach and a plan, and more on the player getting their head clear. Hopefully he can work on the latter part.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
And also I think it is easier to coach bowling. Not taking anything away from McDermott, but bowlers have almost complete control over their work and there are few variables to their performance. At the end of the day you can always put the ball where you want to regardless of the pitch or game situation. Whereas in batting there are far more variables that affect performance, and they are not always in your control. You could get a peach of a ball early in your innings (like Clarke did in the second dig) and that's game over. You could get a dodgy decision as well now. Techniques are more varied and harder to change.

Not excusing Langer though, he hasn't made much progress. Not sure what his coaching credentials are, seems like a bit of nepotism to me.

S

spooony

Bouncy Australian pitches. A aging India batting line up. Couldn't expected anything else than a Australian victory really.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Oh dear another Clarke hater

Already forgotten about that 150 in Cape Town?

He has scored the last 2 centuries
Clarke's innings this afternoon showing all the hallmarks of why I dislike him. Massive expansive drives missing the ball by a hair. Lets see if he makes it to stumps on day 1 at the SCG, I doubt it.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Not excusing Langer though, he hasn't made much progress. Not sure what his coaching credentials are, seems like a bit of nepotism to me.

I found it laughable that he said he had applied for the head coaching job. Although, apparently there were 70 short listed for the job.

I'm a fan of earning your coaching badge elsewhere, rather than going back to 'join the boys'.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
13 wickets in a wild and woolly day of cricket! For far too many years the bat has held sway over the ball in modern day cricket, isn't it good to see the bowlers get on top for a change and the batsmen have to dig deep to get a result. As the series progresses I think Australia's senior batsmen, Ponting, Clarke and Hussey, could prove the difference with their ability to handle the rising ball on hard pitches. It would seem India's vaunted batting lineup haven't been able to adjust to Australian conditions, especially Laxman.

Disappointing crowd for the first day of the Sydney test; with Tendulkar a chance of his hundredth ton I would've thought the place'd be packed. Anyways, I'm probably going on Thursday and Saturday, if it's still going then.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Will all the real Clarke haters please stand up.

Yes, I will.

He has played a very good innings today, but still maintain that he is not what we need in the longer term. Hughes also had some great innings, but was ultimately a big disappointment as captain. (One innings I think it was in Melbourne against the Windies was truly remarkable)

I concede to Barbarian that he is probably the most likely captain of the available players at this time, but (just like we did with Hughes), the sooner the powers that be identify someone else, the better.

*edit, I am very happy to see Ponting and Hussey get amongst some more runs this test and gain some momentum in their form... Their innings last test were a big part of the win.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What exactly do you not like about his captaincy? He has rotated his bowlers well, set excellent fields and been spot on with toss decisions and bowling tactics.

I just don't understand the hate.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I don't like Clarke and for some unknown reason it's pretty much personnal. Even though I don't agree with hating someone like that. I don't like watching him, listening to him or seeing him. He just comes across as totally fake to me, that in no way takes away from the talent he has, he just rubs me wrong and I can't explain it.

That said, well played today.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
4/482 what a day. I think this is the most dominate game Australia has played post Warne/McGrath. To think 2 weeks ago people were calling for Ponting and Hussey's head now where are they...?. All we need now is Marsh to Stand up at 3 and the side is looking strong.

On the Clarke issue I feel people don’t like him because its feels like he has had everything given to him on a 'Royal Blue Plate' lol Not only did he get the Baggy Green in that paper bad once he started for NSW he was given the Captaincy.

But one must concede that was an amazing days play from him and i hope he goes on to score a load more tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.