• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket: Australia v. India v. Sri Lanka 2011/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
I wonder if Clarke knew he was 5 short of Bradman and Taylor's record when he declared. Gen y can be a bit vague on dusty old records like this.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I agree with BaaBaa about the points made about team formation & obsessing with youth before they are ready, a bit like 'building for the world cup' as he said. They say you live in the past you die in the past but I also think if you plan for the future too much you forget what you need to do in the present. Ageism annoys me, you need to bring younger players in but when they are ready, if an older player is doing a better job then I say let them have the job - experienced at the top level or not (Michael Hussey is a good eg of a player that started later but was doing better than a lot of younger players).

In regards to comparisons between Kym Hughes & Clarke as capt's both have similar 'looks' if you could call it that but their circumstances were different. Kym was made capt of a team that would only accept a certain kind of capt, as was the stereotype at the time. Players just didnt rally around him. For mine poor Kym was set up to fail no matter what he would have done. Clarke is playing at a time where there has been generational change. The younger players & new players in general coming into the team have reported positively about Clarke & those players will be forming that future team. I'm sure there are still cliques & the boys club mentality to some degree like in many teams but the culture has changed enough to allow someone like Clarke to possibly be a successful capt. Situational circumstances are almost as, if not more important than leadership attributes in my view.

In the early days I wasnt a Clarke fan. I'm a Simon Katich fan & I still believe he was hard done by. I also didnt like the scenario when Clarke wanted to leave early with Bingle, I was happy that Simon got stuck into him. However, I have to give Clarke credit that he dropped Bingle (I question the mentality of any woman that would consider keeping Fevola in her company) & he dropped the ridiculous bonds ad that didnt help his image to the public. Put simply he was trying to sort himself out, similar to Ponting early on. On his captaincy he has IMO been better than Ponting when it comes to bowling changes & field placings.

All in all very happy for him to get over 300 today & Husseys 150. Despite being a fan of Ponting I was calling for him to be dumped but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I hate all the Clarke hate.

The bloke has never done anything wrong, people hate him for the type of bloke he is. Which is ridiculous, he is essentially judged on his looks and not his performances and captaincy (which might I add are pretty dam good).

I could rage about this for hours. But the hate Clarke gets is completely un-justified in comparison to someone like Quade Cooper, who probably has earned it through many poor acts in judgement.

Clarke to make 300, Hussey to make a 100 and we will bowl India out before Tea on Friday.
I'm not sure hate is the right word for how people think of him.
I get the feeling that everything he does is contrived, his declaration today is a good example.The timing of it was all about his score(nearing Bradman & Taylor).
Having said that I have a lot of respect for him as a player and a captain. No doubting his dedication either.
So i like him & respect him, but it has a bit of a hollow feeling.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
I reckon Clarke is a decent player, but was a bit weary when he was appointed captain in 2011. However, he has done pretty well both as captain and batsman since then. If he continues in this vain, there will be a lot more man love for him.

He isn't really "blokey" guy which may count against him.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I reckon Clarke is a decent player, but was a bit weary when he was appointed captain in 2011. However, he has done pretty well both as captain and batsman since then. If he continues in this vain, there will be a lot more man love for him.

He isn't really "blokey" guy which may count against him.

You got to give him points on the girlfriend upgrade though...

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I get the feeling that everything he does is contrived, his declaration today is a good example.The timing of it was all about his score(nearing Bradman & Taylor).

What a load of shite. Surely if it was 'all about his score' he would have batted on and either equalled 334 or surpassed it. As it was the score he declared on proved that it was totally NOT about his score, and all about timing- giving them a session and a third to get stuck into the Indians before stumps. As it happened the tactic worked pretty well.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
What a load of shite. Surely if it was 'all about his score' he would have batted on and either equalled 334 or surpassed it. As it was the score he declared on proved that it was totally NOT about his score, and all about timing- giving them a session and a third to get stuck into the Indians before stumps. As it happened the tactic worked pretty well.

Would have been even better if Haddin had caught Gambhir before stumps.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I'm not sure hate is the right word for how people think of him.
Having said that I have a lot of respect for him as a player and a captain. No doubting his dedication either.
So i like him & respect him, but it has a bit of a hollow feeling.
He declared at the drinks break. Do you think he asked the umpires to call drinks when he wanted it?

Hussey was interviewed after and said all the talk in the middle was about how many runs they needed, not what clarkes score was.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Spent the day at the cricket yesterday, life doesn't get much better than live test cricket. Pup's triple ton, Huss's 150, two Indian wickets, a great day all round.

There were two senior fellows sitting behind my mate and I, very knowledgeable about the game, having a discussion about the declaration. I suggested 10 minutes before tea would be a good time, it would extend the last session by 10 minutes. Although Australia were in a commanding position time was still extremely important in the bigger picture. We may not be in such a good position for the rest of the series, it is paramount we win THIS test. As play went on the thought of the fast bowlers getting three starts at the Indian batsmen crossed my mind, that's when a declaration before tea became a better choice. Pup must've been listening in! We all expected them to walk off when Hussey hit 150 but Clarke had the good manners to wait until the end of the over.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
That was a BAD miss.
Haddin is higher on my list to be dropped than anyone else. He is missing at least one straightforward chance per game and almost always gets out to a stupid shot. Siddle has shown him up for batting skills when then have been in together.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
He declared at the drinks break. Do you think he asked the umpires to call drinks when he wanted it?

Hussey was interviewed after and said all the talk in the middle was about how many runs they needed, not what clarkes score was.
I also heard Hussey say Clarke told him to try and get his 4 runs to tick over 150 that over.

Haddin is higher on my list to be dropped than anyone else. He is missing at least one straightforward chance per game and almost always gets out to a stupid shot. Siddle has shown him up for batting skills when then have been in together.
O'Keeffe was saying to watch out for Haddin in our first innings, he's the best player of a non-moving ball in the country.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

That's my point, he was NEVER going to go past it,just get close and be magnanimous by not continuing.
Once they got more than 400 in front, the issue to me was how long do we have to get them out, more than are we far enough in front.
He has made plenty of more aggressive declarations in the past than he did yesterday,especially in the context of poor weather forecasts for the following day.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
So you think 7.5 sessions is not enough? You would have preferred 8 or 9?

Considering we bowled them out in 2 sessions on day 1, and also considering the pitch will crumble as the match goes on, I think that is plenty of time.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
So you think 7.5 sessions is not enough? You would have preferred 8 or 9?

Considering we bowled them out in 2 sessions on day 1, and also considering the pitch will crumble as the match goes on, I think that is plenty of time.

Barring rain, if they don't get them out within the remaining scheduled play, they don't deserve to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.