1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket: Australia v. India v. Sri Lanka 2011/12

Discussion in 'Cricket' started by mark_s, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Moses Simon Poidevin (60)

I hardly think Joolya is a person of the people either, but that's a thread for another place..
  2. cyclopath Phil Waugh (73)

Well, Rangas aren't really people, are they? ;)
  3. Moses Simon Poidevin (60)

What miracles of modern science allowed her to attend the cricket without spontaneously combusting?

Must have been wearing ranga-tan 200+
    mark_s likes this.
  4. Badger Bill McLean (32)

Rather than the parties they represented, I would say it's more a result of Hawke's personality as it's unlikely anyone in the current Federal Government would receive cheers if flashed on the big screen.

Like you said in another post, this is the wrong place for this discussion.
  5. Scotty David Codey (61)

Gillard, swan, turnbull, keating, Howard and many others would be booed. Abbott probably as well although he is the most like hawke, but in more of a try hard way.
  6. Swat Chilla Wilson (44)

How many lives does Gambir have?
  7. bryce Darby Loudon (17)

Meanwhile, Pakistan is well on top against England. I forgot this match was on until last night
  8. Jnor Peter Fenwicke (45)

Nothing like seeing the poms getting a flogging
    Gagger and AngrySeahorse like this.
  9. Swat Chilla Wilson (44)

Ricky Ponting! what a fucking hero! he's the greatest! no one should ever razz on him, he feels better on swisse, I feel better with him in the team! Legend!
    Scotty and mark_s like this.
  10. Running Rugby Sydney Middleton (9)

I must admit, prior to the test season starting, I was one who thought it was probably time to drop Ponting.
    When will I ever learn, don't doubt a champion.
    AngrySeahorse likes this.
  11. Swat Chilla Wilson (44)

I hope I have to eat my words but..

Baldric likes this.
  12. spooony Ron Walden (29)

The Indians just wanna go home. You can see it in their body language
  13. mark_s Chilla Wilson (44)

Yep, shaping up similar to the Sydney test where the Indians put in a spurt,saw that it didn't leave them in a dominant position and then started waiting for Aus to stuff up, which we didn't. this test will be different though as the pitch is an absolute road and I don't rule out a draw.

I for one am happy with Ponting's return to form, but I still worry that having him and Hussey in the same team is a luxury we can't afford (let alone Haddin as well). Problem is few of the younger players are performing well through either not performing or not being given opportunities. We kind of knew this would unfold given the BBL meant all shield cricket was put on hold. Still its remarkably how the complextion of the Aus team has changed from the team that played last summer.
  14. spooony Ron Walden (29)

Take no credit away from Ponting he's real class. He's one of the reasons they just wanna go home. Sub Continent teams depends a lot on morale. When things start to go bad they fall apart. Been happening for ages. They lack the fighting spirit
  15. Scotty David Codey (61)

They lack the fighting spirit, away from home.
  16. spooony Ron Walden (29)

If they lose a couple of matches anywhere the start to drop their heads. Normally they start out well at home which gives them momentum.
  17. Knuckles Billy Sheehan (19)

I completely agree. It is clear his best is behind him and the truth is that for a few years now, he has struggled to retain his spot only to pull a rabbit out of the hat. Lets not forget the fact that despite the 150 n.o in Sydney the score was 3/350 when he came in! In england in 09 he was terrible. Even Punters record in England is no where near as good as his career average. Intersting that Haddins average in England is higher than his career average.....will it be enough to save him?

Another of my concerns is that the bowlers are relatively inexperienced in English conditions. Siddle averages 30.80 and Hilfy 26.46 in England but none of the other bowlers have played Test cricket in England. Would be good if Cricket Australia sent them off to county cricket instead of IPL to gain some experience.

Here's some stats I got of cric info

Batsman Career Average Av v England In England Last time in England Age at next series
    Ponting 53.44 44.21 41.79 48.13 39
    Hussey 50.82 59.27 31.36 34.5 38
    Clarke 49.65 45.5 46.1 64 32
    Haddin 35.82 45.57 46.33 46.33 36

Bowler Career Average Av v England In England Last time in England Age at next series
    Siddle 29.03 32.35 30.8 30.8 29
    Hilfy 28.91 35.13 26.46 27.45 30
    Harris 22.6 25.54 n/a n/a 34
  18. Gagger Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Like your thinking, although what's engorged me about our attack this series is that it's exactly what does work in pommyland - fuller line and length with the swinging ball
    Moses and Scotty like this.
  19. barbarian Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Yes some of our guys don't have great records in England, but until 2010/11 most of the English had positively shithouse records in Australia. Classy players in form will perform under any conditions.
  20. Knuckles Billy Sheehan (19)

Couldn't agree more Gagger. Billy McDermott should be getting a lot more credit for the improvements to the attack. Personally, I would like to see them develop Siddle so he has the ability to seam it. Siddle must be one hell of a fit guy, he regularly maintains the average pace of around 140km for the vast majority of each spell. He doesn't have much swing going, so if he can develop a good leg cutter in particular at that pace, he'll take 300 test wickets!

Was interesting to watch Starc in the BBL Final. Tried very hard to get some swing going without any success. Hopefully he stopped off at DK Lillee's place before the plane ride home. If he can get that red ball to swing regularly he'll be a genuine weapon in England.