• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket commentary on Channel Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Did anyone catch this ripping article from Geoff Lemon?

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/feb/13/channel-nine-destroying-cricket-legacy

Essentially destroys the Channel Nein matey backslapping rubbish that cricket viewers are served. Names names and takes no prisoners.

As an aside I use a radio with a sliding delay switch that allows me to synch the ABC Grandstand commentary with the Channel Nein images. Keeps Brayshaw and Slater at bay and fills the room with the dulcet tones of Maxwell, Bogle and co.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I was watching the Foxsports cricket coverage of the Australia and England game to get away from the Channel 9 idiots.

Lo and behold, Mark Taylor appeared on the Foxsports commentary! He was one of the chief boofheads I was trying to avoid.

Whilst still being very good, I think the ABC coverage has got worse over the last couple of years. The proportion of poorer commentators has increased substantially.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Agreed - some of the guys who were recently (or are still) in the playing ranks are a bit dull. They're no Kerry O'Keeffe that's for sure.

I've been enjoying Bumble and Botham - actual analysis instead of the boganesque rantings of Shane Warne and his food diatribes, and Mark Fucking Taylor repeating the thoughts of those around him (I call him "7 seconds" because usually he'll leave such a margin between the original thought of the individual next to him and his own spout).

I'll go out on a limb here and say: I don't mind Brayshaw. I was a fan of him back in radio days, and while he's a bit hollow for a lot of people, he seems to understand that he was never more than a state cricketer and plays on that.

Good article, that.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I don't mind Brayshaw either, at times he gets carried away but often what he's saying is quite informative and analytical. Rest of the 9 guys I can't stand anymore. It's disappointing because SK Warne was an exceptional (probably my favourite behind Richie) when he first came into the box for BBC/sky.

Can't remember where but I recently heard Matty Hayden do a stint and thought he was excellent.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Nein is the pits these days and Warnie is one of the worst. For a guy with a great cricket brain he doesn't impart any of that to the viewers. Healy isn't far behind him, geez he talks a load of rubbish at times.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Also the guy from the Guardian makes a great point on the radio interview: these guys aren't complete fucking boneheads when they're commentating internationally. Its when they get together they fall into the way of the dipshit.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Also the guy from the Guardian makes a great point on the radio interview: these guys aren't complete fucking boneheads when they're commentating internationally. Its when they get together they fall into the way of the dipshit.
It's clearly a direction from Channel nine to ramp up the buffoonery. Brad McNamara is rightly copping a heap on social media and not handling it particularly well.

Reactions: Tex

Tex

John Thornett (49)
It's clearly a direction from Channel nine to ramp up the buffoonery. Brad McNamara is rightly copping a heap on social media and not handling it particularly well.

Has he lashed out? He seems to be ultimately responsible for the direction of the commentary box and should rightly get a kick up the backside.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Can't remember where but I recently heard Matty Hayden do a stint and thought he was excellent.

I believe he was commentating Afg v Ban yesterday (made reference to AB as Qld skipper). He was okay and should develop if he can say less and stop trying to be Kerry O'Keefe.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Has he lashed out? He seems to be ultimately responsible for the direction of the commentary box and should rightly get a kick up the backside.
Blocked a whole bunch of people, made some veilled threats, deleting all of his old tweets, general toys out the pram stuff. @geofflemonsport has the details on twitter

There's also a big thread on bigfooty if you're interested.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I went to a couple of coaching clinics where Brad McNamara was one of the coaches when I was a kid (around 13 and 14). I thought he was a complete dickhead then.

Seems like I was on the money based on everything that I've heard about him since.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
The commentary is appalling. Couldn't believe what I was hearing and seeing when Warnie went on a prolonged spiel about dirty rotten pizzas and even started a poll on it. Then couldn't believe what I was seeing when over a million people voted in it. And all the shameless genuflections to sponsors.

I never imagined I'd say it, but I miss Tony Greig. You win, universe. Well played. He may have enjoyed it a bit too much when Australia were losing, but at least he had a feel and understanding for the game.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I listened to those bozos carry on in Sunday's game and got fed up and walked out of the room. The guys who all played together have just turned it into a mutual back slapping shit-giving session like you would have with your mates in the front bar. That's OK if that's the situation but not broadcasting on international television.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
What I really miss is when Benaud used to call the game. If there was nothing much happening and nothing much to talk about he just wouldn't talk. I'd much rather that that inside jokes and nicknames and brought-to-you-by-Carls-Juniors.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brendon Julian from Foxsports is excellent, blessed with beautiful dulcet tones and TALKS ABOUT CRICKET. Informatively. Taylor was on with him for a CWC match recently (Scotland?) and did his best to take the commentary down the jovial lane; Julian, to his eternal credit, resisted.

Another bloke not mentioned here whom I think is a complete waste of space is Damian Fleming. Cursed with a bland voice almost as bad as Taylor's, but he's got nothing to say. Which doesn't stop him from coming over EVERY piece of commentary like a yapping fox terrier. Come the revolution he'll be one of the first up against the wall.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
When Fleming is on with Warne, its just a pair of nasal Victorians who occasionally talk cricket, and I have trouble separating them.

Foreign comms have been excellent to listen to, and our blokes when they're talking cricket.

Except Tubs Taylor. Fuck that guy is distilled inanity, if that's even possible. Never has anything original to say, and if you pay attention, quite often says something that the other comms mentioned about 30 seconds beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.