• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket - NZ v AUS, 2nd Test. Hobart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Suddenly, selecting the starting XI is looking like a daunting task for selectors. Players who have been on the chopping block have suddenly found form and it's becoming incredibly hard to find the right balance for the next test.

The Kiwi's are in serious trouble and this test will only have one outcome but it's important we give the right guys a run and a chance to prove themselves. Somehow we need to find room for Watson, Marsh and Cummins and have the ever-lingering Johnson still in contention.

Brisbane Test (score/10)
1. Phil Hughes (4/10) - Dissapointing both innings particularly second, how long does potential warrant selection?

2. Dave Warner (5/10) - Dissapointing with bat first innings but impressed in the field and with the ball. Looked threatening in the second innings showing glimpses of form.

3. Usman Khawaja (5/10) - Limited opportunities, looked promising first innings and fielded well in close.

4. Ricky Ponting (7/10) - Hard fought 78 and brilliant at second slip. Finding form at the right time for a Hobart swansong.

5. Michael Clarke (9/10) - Made the most of his chances with the bat but his tactics in the field were the most impressive facet of his game.

6. Michael Hussey (5/10) - Soft dismissal when we needed more from him. Questions will be asked over his spot with the returning Watson eyeing a spot down the order.

7. Brad Haddin (7/10) - Good with the gloves and solid with the bat. Silenced some critics and looked to be enjoying his cricket. Good to see.

8. Peter Siddle (6.5/10) - Toiled but was unrewarded. Didn't contribute to the bat but applied significant pressure with the ball and was workman-like.

9. James Pattinson (8.5/10) - Great debut with bat and ball. Second innings bowling was superb.

10. Mitchell Starc (5/10) - Tried hard but it just wasn't working. Solid with the bat but just didn't penetrate with the ball. Very little swing or threat, first innings was promising.

11. Nathan Lyon (7.5/10) - Was better than figures indicated. Bowled well and looks promising for the future.

If Marsh is ready, I can't see a need for Hughes and the top of the order. His technique lends itself to soft dismissals and we are already taking a risk with Warner. Marsh is solid and can play second fiddle if Warner decides to take it to the attack. The return of Watson also creates a dilemma as no-one really deserves to be dropped. We must remember NZ were weaker than normal and Hussey can't really be forgiven for his soft dismissal and low score. Watson needs to be lower down the order so it's likely we will see him replace Hussey or Khawaja, I would suggest the later of the two. Cummins return also places pressure on the bowling stock and I think he will replace Starc who just lacked creativity. Siddle is still off his best but I think he holds a key role as the experienced bowler and is somewhat reliable.

My starting XI for 2nd Test.
1. Phil Hughes/Shaun Marsh (Marsh if fit)
2. Dave Warner
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Michael Clarke
5. Usman Khawaja/Michael Hussey
6. Shane Watson (if fit)
7. Brad Haddin
8. Peter Siddle
9. Patrick Cummins
10. James Pattinson
11. Nathan Lyon

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Cummins, Marsh, Harris and Watson being saved for the Indian games, which is fair enough, NZ were abysmal.

Same squad except Dan Christian comes in for Ben Cutting in the 12. I can't see any changes but fucking hell Phil Hughes needs to go. Basically the same dismisall every time, and he can't stay in the team. The only thing he has done is score that century in the basiclly dead rubber innings against Sri Lanka.

Jumping the gun a bit here but my 11 to play the first India test, assuming all fit, will be.

1- Watson
2-Marsh
3- Khawaja
4- Ponting
5- Clarke
6- Hussey
7- Haddin
8- Harris
9- Pattinson
10- Cummins
11- Lyon

With probably Siddle as 12th man. Not bad if you have Warner, Starc, Cutting, Wade/Paine all pushing for starts.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
The only thing he has done is score that century in the basiclly dead rubber innings against Sri Lanka.

He's scored three centuries, and he scored 88 with Watson just three weeks ago. Yes he does get out in very similar circumstances usually but that's the way he plays. Heck, Ponting is the same (his is falling across his stumps).

He needs to his response to that area but I don't think dropping him is the key.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
He needs to his response to that area but I don't think dropping him is the key.

He has been given enough chances since Hayden left. Needs to go back to the nets and re-work his technique and mental attitude. They dropped Clarke numerous times during his early-20s and told him to work on his game. That worked wonders for the Australian captain and I think it could improve Hughes. Not to mention we have numerous other players pushing for that spot, including Warner.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Nah, bin Hughes I reckon. His good innings are too few and far between (especially if you take out his 2nd test ages ago when he scored two of his three career tons), and he too often gets out in single digits which is unforgiveable as an opener. Not to mention his technical issues which have been exploited by every half decent attack (and even the Kiwis now).

For Hobart I would play:

1. Warner
2. Khawaja
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. Hussey
6. Christian
7. Haddin
8. Siddle
9. Pattinson
10. Starc
11. Lyon

and then for Boxing Day I would play:

1. Warner
2. Marsh
3. Khawaja
4. Clarke
5. Hussey/Ponting (probably Hussey, but if Punter makes another score in Hobart and Hussey fails it might have to be Rick)
6. Watson
7. Haddin
8. Harris
9. Pattinson
10. Cummins
11. Lyon

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
At least everyone is in agreement that Harris, Pattinson, Cummins and Lyon is our best bowling attack, add to that Watson, Hussey and Warner and captain Clarke has plenty of options. Most speculation seems to be over the Ponting/Hussey position, interesting to see so many people in favour of Khawaja.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Im not sure how Husseys Name is getting thrown around to be kicked out of the team in his last 6 test he has scored
95,15,118,142,30,37,45*,39,15.

Hardly bad batting figures more than most, if not all in the team. The bloke has earnt the right to a couple non scores!

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Fair point. I would pick him UNLESS Ponting does something amazing in Hobart.

However the time has come for generational change, and Hussey is 36 or 37 now. Marsh and Khawaja are the future of the Australian top order, with Watson and Clarke the future of our middle order. One (or both) of Ponting and Hussey need to make way.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I'd be leaving Warner and Hughes out when Marsh and Watson return. Punter and Hussey are good enough for the rest of the summer.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
At least everyone is in agreement that Harris, Pattinson, Cummins and Lyon is our best bowling attack, add to that Watson, Hussey and Warner and captain Clarke has plenty of options. Most speculation seems to be over the Ponting/Hussey position, interesting to see so many people in favour of Khawaja.

I'd say that Watson is important enough to be a considered a frontline member of the bowling attack. I thought we missed his bowling dearly in the second Test in SA.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Like your team barbar but I'll get that old record of mine out: PLEASE Punter, drop down the order. You're not 26, your eyesight's not as good as it was nor are your reflexes. For the life of me I don't understand why you're not elbowing the other batsmen aside to bat at 5.

Clarke, on the other hand, is his prime as a batsman about now and should be eyeing off the 3 spot.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Clarke has tried to bat up but isn't good enough. Ponting should have moved down the order about 3 years ago.

Reactions: DPK

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I agree that Ponting should move down, but filling his place would be pretty tricky. Marsh? Watson, keeping the two current openers in place?

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think Khawaja is our best long-term 3 at this point. His technique is sound and he is still young enough to fix any flaws in his game. Also seems to have the confidence and support of his teammates and a wide range of shots.

The only other player I would consider would be Marsh. Clarke is still the best player of spin in the team and the 4 spot should be his. Ponting/Hussey at 5, Watson at 6 and Haddin at 7.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Kahwaja at 3. I still have hope for Hughes at the top of the roder, he averages 50 in first class cricket from 60+ games. He needs to be more patient and selective, in fact I am disappointed that Langer hasn't been able to provide necessary guidance to him. It may be a case that Hughes returns to NSW for a while and then returns to the Aus team ala Langer and Hayden and many others in years gone by. I am actually less convinced about Warner opening in tests but time may tell.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Update on the Proteas, Sri Lanka have arrived and our lot dropped JP Duminy, Tsotsobe and picked young quickie Marchandt de Lange and Alviro Petersen.

2262cda00c5e418998ff3dfe9b116076.jpg

Marchant took 5/58 against the Aussies in their opening match and have since been in great form. JP Duminys drop is a disaster.

South Africa squad Graeme Smith (capt), AB de Villiers, Hashim Amla, Mark Boucher (wk), Marchant de Lange, Imran Tahir, Jacques Kallis, Morne Morkel, Alviro Petersen, Vernon Philander, Ashwell Prince, Jacques Rudolph, Dale Steyn

Status
Not open for further replies.