• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket - NZ v AUS, 2nd Test. Hobart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Dunno really, was kinda going with the whole Jesus resurrection in 3 days theme, but 3 days is far too soon. He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Ah OK. Just seemed excessively long. Certainly needs a full year out of the test side to get his game in order.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Ah OK. Just seemed excessively long. Certainly needs a full year out of the test side to get his game in order.
The odd thing for me is that he had this issue when he came into Test cricket, it was worked on by several opposing teams, but a bit like the Wallaby scrum it was glossed over when he got scores. There does not seem to have been any attempt to correct his flaw outside off. The time for correction was before, and I hope he can get it right, for his sake.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
When I think of the Proteas and the ABs an entirely different C word springs to mind...

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Ponting goooooone. Hussey better fucking make something happen, those good scores are looking more and more distant.

Hughes and Khwaja need to learn to deal with Test pressure. A return to Shield cricket may or may not help with this.

That said, NZ bowled pretty well. Bracewell, Bould and Methusel- I mean Martin were classy.

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
Hughes, Ponting, Hussey and Haddin should all get the axe. Haddin is the only one I am hostile about - his attitude + shot selection in pressure situations is disgraceful.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'd say keep Haddin until Tim Paine's fit again, then keep him around for the Twenty/20's. It's a big ask to be too unreliable for even One Day opening, but he managed it somehow.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Hughes, Ponting, Hussey and Haddin should all get the axe. Haddin is the only one I am hostile about - his attitude + shot selection in pressure situations is disgraceful.

Hughes will have his place in the future and i think should be persevered with. Definitely agree with the other 3 but all are likely to be there on boxing day.

If Paine was fit Haddin would be gone. Terrible dismissals this game, as were Pontings. Khawaja looks good but may benefit from time down the order so there isn't so much pressure on him and he can get flowing.

Hughes
Warner
Marsh
Watson
Clarke
Khawaja
Haddin
Harris
Siddle
Pattinson
Lyon

Lets have Warner or Khawaja throw on the keepers gloves to play an extra batsmen, can't be that hard. Watson can do everything else maybe he can keep as well. Or maybe look at someone like Chris Lynn.

Also, is it just me are our batsmen hitting a lot less singles than they used to? There seems to be no strike rotation at all which only puts more pressure on players to put balls to the boundary. Hughes and Khawaja in particluar could really benefit from adding this to their game.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah Haddin wilts when the pressure is on, but I don't think they can drop him yet. Paine is the only viable alternative and he is crocked.

Same goes for the batsmen. Hughes is certainly gone, but with only Marsh and Watson to come in, I think that one of Ponting and Hussey will keep their spot. Both deserve to be dropped, but there really isn't any better middle order players around at the moment.

Not sure who I would keep to be honest. Hussey has failed in his last eight digs, but before then was brilliant. Ponting has showed some good signs lately, but hasn't had a big score in ages. It's a real toss-up.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Lets have Warner or Khawaja throw on the keepers gloves, can't be that hard. Watson can do everything else maybe he can keep as well. Or maybe look at someone like Chris Lynn.

Are you serious?

Our selectors have been prone to stupid decisions, but this one would be in a whole other league.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Are you serious?

Our selectors have been prone to stupid decisions, but this one would be in a whole other league.

Don't fret, only serious about Lynn as an option but he hasn't been making runs in shield so Haddin will stay.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Also, Starc looked like a pretty good impersonation of a bad form Mitchell Johnson. No thanks, we don't need a left handed bowler to be successful.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Is Justin Langer is still the batting coach? If so, what value is he adding? From this side of the fence, he should have gone when Nielsen left.

Status
Not open for further replies.