• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Great effort by Warner, Handscomb and Smith and have put Aus into a good position. Great to see the batsmen so intent and look to score where possible. Great to see the change in attitude from the Aus and watch Bangladeshi start to drop in confidence.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
This has been a great response from the Aus batting line up considering most probably would have written us off once Bangladesh posted 300.

Handscomb, Smith and Warner deserve most the credit but I have been especially impressed with Maxwell, Cartwright and Agar contributing important runs and building handy partnerships when we really needed them.

As others have touched on, our batsmen have shown intent and this innings should help our confidence regardless of the result.

Not that I particularly think this is our best XI, but it's impressive how deep we bat and the balance of the team looks good for these conditions.

Given what has been said in the papers and on social media in recent days, you would think the next two days will give us an indication as to the duration of SOKs test career.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Also would like to take back some of the comments I have made previously about Warner's ability against spin and on the sub-continent in general.

Both this ton and the last one have said a lot about his character and temperament. It's been great to watch and hopefully he can carry this form into the ashes

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Disappointing that we didn't kick on and build a good lead. It's probably line ball going into the second innings.

Wade failing again is bad. Bringing him back for his supposed superior batting ahead of Nevill was a complete ballsup.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Hopefully that is the last we see of SOK.

Warner really needed that series and it is great to see him in form and confident before the Ashes.

Our line up looks as strong for the Ashes as it has in some time with the 6/7 the only spots a real concern. That is assuming Khwaja is straight back in. Such a shame he wasn't given the same chances on the sub-continent as Warner. Considering his dismissals in the first was a runout then poor shot selection it seemed tough, especially given the performance of the replacements.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Hopefully that is the last we see of SOK.

Warner really needed that series and it is great to see him in form and confident before the Ashes..

I suspect we won't see SOK for a while. Lyon rightfully owns the position for the Ashes and it is unlikely we use both, especially with Maxwell in the side.

Great series but I hope this win doesn't gloss over the glaring weakness we have behind the stumps. Even with the stumpings Wade must be on thin ice.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Great to see a good win. Lyon has gone from strength to strength this year and rightly is the No 1 spinner in Aus. Not convinced with the batting line up and hope that khawaja can get himself together and show he should be in the team. Wade could have played his last but I suspect the selectors will keep him in the side. Would love to see a young keeper given a crack.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Leading wicket-takers since 8/9/2014: Ashwin 185 Lyon 157 YasirShah 149 Herath 129 Broad 122 Hazlewood 118 Anderson 117 Jadeja 110 Starc 107

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
That's fantastic and all but it would be great to see the tests played as well.

Also now the leading wicket taker this year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That's fantastic and all but it would be great to see the tests played as well.

Also now the leading wicket taker this year.

It's a bit less impressive then.

Ashwin 31 tests
Lyon 36
Shah 26
Herath 26
Broad 35

for the top 5.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
It's a bit less impressive then.

Ashwin 31 tests
Lyon 36
Shah 26
Herath 26
Broad 35

for the top 5.

I guess you also need to consider Lyon has played a lot in Aus and Ashwin has had a lot of cricket on wickets made for him. Plus a few other variables it is still a fantastic achievement for someone who has really only cemented his spot in the last 12 months.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Good to see Stoinis amongst the runs in the lead up game to the India series. Hope he continues to bloom at ODI level and puts pressure on a spot in the test team.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Indications are that he is very much in the test frame, toured India earlier this year I believe.

That is despite never having played proper county cricket and with four first class centuries averaging 35 at 28 years old. His FC bowling average is a touch below 50 so it suggests he's about on par with Hilton Cartwright with the ball.

He might be a great ODI player one day (I'm happy for him to be picked in that format) but I would personally feel more comfortable to see Cartwright or Maxwell at 6. Lehmann and Bancroft are two other blokes I would play ahead of Stoinis .

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
Disappointing for Pattinson. All the hard work he has done to get back into cricket and injured again. Was bowling well. Not long till the Ashes start. Hope the Aussie batsmen are working hard to be mentally tougher. Don't think I could bare the Poms winning the ashes.

Will be interesting to see what the selectors will do with the keeper job. Maybe its time to try a youngun and give him some time to settle.

Status
Not open for further replies.